Obligatory monthly electrical cache container thread

Just because I called JCP&L and spoke with Patrick, who was very nice. Did not know at first who to even ask for me, but his superviser Bob said that it was fine as long as it was not in the box and it did not deface the transformer and wouldn't required climbing on the transformer.

SO, CACHE ON!!

EDIT: He did also say, Not to put it in front of, or on the front of the box. Meaning the door. I have placed the cache on the side of the box. So, as long as its not on the front of the box its okay. The concern is obstruction to the door, although this wouldn't, but its on the side anyway. This is funny because originally I was going make a fake number sticker and put it on the front near some of the real numbers, which would have not been allowed. I didn't because I did not want to cause an issue with the electric company as far as number on the unit.

Edited by mchaos

Just because I called JCP&L and spoke with Patrick, who was very nice. Did not know at first who to even ask for me, but his superviser Bob said that it was fine as long as it was not in the box and it did not deface the transformer and wouldn't required climbing on the transformer.

SO, CACHE ON!!

EDIT: He did also say, Not to put it in front of, or on the front of the box. Meaning the door. I have placed the cache on the side of the box. So, as long as its not on the front of the box its okay. The concern is obstruction to the door, although this wouldn't, but its on the side anyway. This is funny because originally I was going make a fake number sticker and put it on the front near some of the real numbers, which would have not been allowed. I didn't because I did not want to cause an issue with the electric company as far as number on the unit.

No offense, but I looked at the cache page. That really isn't all that evil, been done many times in many places. Not necessarily on power transformers of course. Looks like you also had another electrical box cache a little South of there that is archived. "Not UL approved" or something like that. What did you do there to make that one?

I used to drive down that stretch of RT. 206 all the time.

It was a electrical cover blank with magnets stuck to a lamp post. No where near anything electrical. I wanted to do a twist on a lamp post hide. As well I wanted to see how successful this kind of cache could be out in the open.

It was until some kids picked that particular lamp post to Tag with a sharpie marker, and discovered it. Took it and left a note on the post in sharpie, "sorry I took your geo thingy".

As for evil. I can make it more evil by placing it under that protrusion instead of on the side. Its evil enough. Its a tricky hide, and for an experienced cacher not that hard to find, but for a lot of people it will be.

If I can find a tiny bison tube in a little hole in a tree above my head, and not completely visible unless you pull the branch down, then not many "evil" hides will be all that evil to me. I am sure its the same for a lot of experienced caches.

Also in the description I said I wanted to hide something "some what" evil. This hid is some what evil.

Perhaps one day I will hide one that will be super duper evil, and almost no one would find it, but down to the matter, I do want people to find it. That's why I didn't put it under that protrusion facing down. You would never see that then. I could have also made it smaller.

Edited by mchaos

SO, CACHE ON!!

I think the main concern is not where the cache actually is, but where the hunters will hunt. How many times have you been looking for a micro or nano cache and poked, prodded, and turned every hole, nook, and bolt on the structure? Near several hundred or thousands of volts can mean disaster for those who don't think their actions all the way through

Ok, so I don't know all the cachers in the world - but I do know that as a kid, one of my favorite places to play (along with every other kid in the neighborhood) was on a large junction box in our suburban front yard.

Not once did any of us get electrocuted. There was the rare and unlucky squirril who would crawl in - you'd hear a big GAZUMP and the lights would go out for a few hours. Most of these ginormous boxes are now (mostly) animal proof - and I think that a set up like yours does not encourage the breaking in of the large...impossible to break into...junction box.

I say cache on! Clearly if the company was worried about the GAZUMP of humans, you would not have been given permission to place the cache. Liability is key here, my friends, and large companies want none of it.

If you feel the need to warn others about the dangers of hiding caches on electrical equipment or creating cache containers that will cause other cachers to start opening up real eletrical boxes, please do so here so we can keep the Cool Cache Containers thread on-topic with actual CCC's.

Mostly my fault about that and I should know better.

Sorry for derailing that thread.

And, thanks GeoBain for derailing my derailing.

I have a fake electrical box hide. It requires no tools to open.

I would try to use tools to open it anyway.

On a more serious note, I am planning on hiding a fake electrical box soon but it won't be placed on anything that carries actual electricity.

Could use some ideas on how to hold the face plate to the box without using the machine screws.

Perhaps just one screw and one magnet?

I also plan on using lettering on it that only a geocacher would know it's a cache.

Grounded

Electrical

Outlet

is one I saw in the other thread.

No problem. It actually happens fairly regularly.

That's just one thread that it makes better sense to split off to a new thread if you want to discuss a particular type of hide.

Next month someone will post a hide using fishing line or buried. :)

At The Risk Of Derailing This Derailment Thread . . . .

Happy Five Year Anniversary ! To GeoBain, Tomorrow, As A Member Here !

Edited by countryboy210

He got permission and still he gets grief. :angry:

Well, since is was such a big deal and all, seeings there are tones of green machine hides all over the country, and I am sure every single one of them sought permission, I decided to call JCP&L.

I had to explain to him what geocaching was, then about my hide. He had no clue at all who I needed to talk too. I think they were more surprised that I would even ask. Their general position is making sure nothing is in the way of accessing it if need be. Say if there was a cache box on the ground in front of it, and a linemen tripping over it while working on the box.

He also said to make sure it wasn't spanning a seam for the door on the front. All in all they really didn't seem to mind at all.

Lets face it. They are every where, and there is no way they can get around people touching them, playing on them etc. They are designed to be safe because of this.

But if it makes the masses happy, I called. I even started to tell them which one and where, and he told me he didn't need to know, it was okay as long as it didn't obstruct the front. He said a cache would be okay in the front of it as long as it was 10 feet away. Again as not to obstruct the door.

Edited by mchaos

He got permission and still he gets grief. :angry:

Well, since is was such a big deal and all, seeings there are tones of green machine hides all over the country, and I am sure every single one of them sought permission, I decided to call JCP&L.

I had to explain to him what geocaching was, then about my hide. He had no clue at all who I needed to talk too. I think they were more surprised that I would even ask. Their general position is making sure nothing is in the way of accessing it if need be. Say if there was a cache box on the ground in front of it, and a linemen tripping over it while working on the box.

He also said to make sure it wasn't spanning a seam for the door on the front. All in all they really didn't seem to mind at all.

Lets face it. They are every where, and there is no way they can get around people touching them, playing on them etc. They are designed to be safe because of this.

But if it makes the masses happy, I called. I even started to tell them which one and where, and he told me he didn't need to know, it was okay as long as it didn't obstruct the front. He said a cache would be okay in the front of it as long as it was 10 feet away. Again as not to obstruct the door.

I'm gonna be the one to call you on this.

Who did you get permission from and are they even allowed to give it to you?

I cannot understand a power company that will allow it due to liability issues.

I'm calling BS and if I'm wrong I will say sorry.

Provide the name and number of the person who said it would be OK.

No problem. It actually happens fairly regularly.

That's just one thread that it makes better sense to split off to a new thread if you want to discuss a particular type of hide.

Next month someone will post a hide using fishing line or buried. :angry:

At The Risk Of Derailing This Derailment Thread . . . .

Happy Five Year Anniversary ! To GeoBain, Tomorrow, As A Member Here !

Thanks for the shout out. ;)

Congrats to you! I belong to several forums and have to deal with a lot of crap... you have stuck on here and have to listen to my crap.

Good on you sir.

(I call you sir because you are old and I am told to respect my elders)

:angry:

Congrats to you! I belong to several forums and have to deal with a lot of crap... you have stuck on here and have to listen to my crap.

Good on you sir.

(I call you sir because you are old and I am told to respect my elders)

:angry:

You're making it hard for me to run you off my lawn now!

I'm gonna be the one to call you on this.

Who did you get permission from and are they even allowed to give it to you?

I cannot understand a power company that will allow it due to liability issues.

I'm calling BS and if I'm wrong I will say sorry.

Provide the name and number of the person who said it would be OK.

What do you wan't me to *&^Ying video it. I am starting to get a little pissed off here.

Go to the dadgum JCP&L site your dadgum self and get the number like I did. You can ask for Patric or his supervisor Bob who he asked about it. I dunno if you will get them. If not, do the same thing I did, and ask them if it would be okay to place a magnetic sheet on a transformer as a cache.

I told him it was GPS treasure hunting etc.

It won't matter who you speak too. I don't care.

Know what, here is the link to the page with the Number. And to be perfectly honest with you, even if I never called, which I did, I could care less. these are out there. Most probably haven't asked for permission. When I posted the cache I noted to the reviewer that it was a magnetic sheet log on a green machine transformer box.

http://www.firstenergycorp.com/corporate/c...ct_centers.html

It got published. I didn't say anything about having permission in it. So it was passed. that's all that matters.

But feel free to call them. Ask them if its okay.

Then, you can go here http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...&submit4=Go and make sure all of those cache hiders have called their electric company and gotten permission.

Edit: I have also sent an email to JCP&L. When I get the reply I will post and or forward it to any one who wants to be a jerk about this.

Edited by mchaos

What do you wan't me to *&^Ying video it. I am starting to get a little pissed off here.

Go to the dadgum JCP&L site your dadgum self and get the number like I did. You can ask for Patric or his supervisor Bob who he asked about it. I dunno if you will get them. If not, do the same thing I did, and ask them if it would be okay to place a magnetic sheet on a transformer as a cache.

I told him it was GPS treasure hunting etc.

It won't matter who you speak too. I don't care.

Know what, here is the link to the page with the Number. And to be perfectly honest with you, even if I never called, which I did, I could care less. these are out there. Most probably haven't asked for permission. When I posted the cache I noted to the reviewer that it was a magnetic sheet log on a green machine transformer box.

http://www.firstenergycorp.com/corporate/c...ct_centers.html

It got published. I didn't say anything about having permission in it. So it was passed. that's all that matters.

But feel free to call them. Ask them if its okay.

Then, you can go here http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...&submit4=Go and make sure all of those cache hiders have called their electric company and gotten permission.

You have fallen victim to a troll. Ignore him.

I got bored by the third post and skipped straight to the reply. All I have to say is; I am a commercial electrician and it is illegal to mess with transformers, not to mention very dangerous. There are several reasons why it is a bad idea even in the best circumstances to touch the metal box of a transformer. But no matter what I or any one else says people are going to place caches on them and people are going to look for them. Even as a licensed electrician I can not legally mess with them at all once power is turned on. So just be very careful every one.

I got bored by the third post and skipped straight to the reply. All I have to say is; I am a commercial electrician and it is illegal to mess with transformers, not to mention very dangerous. There are several reasons why it is a bad idea even in the best circumstances to touch the metal box of a transformer. But no matter what I or any one else says people are going to place caches on them and people are going to look for them. Even as a licensed electrician I can not legally mess with them at all once power is turned on. So just be very careful every one.

Who is messing with it? Its on the out side of it. Not inside with no way in.

How could these be put in public, and in parks where kids play of all places if they were not safe?

Besides. I have already called. And I have recently emailed JCP&L so I can have written permission.

I am a commercial electrician and it is illegal to mess with transformers, not to mention very dangerous.

For the most part, I don't care one way or the other. However, I have to ask if they are so dangerous, then why would the electric company ever decide to move them from the poles, where you'd have to climb to get to them, down to the ground where kids could and do play on them?

It seems illogical that linemen's convenience would trump laymen's safety.

I am a commercial electrician and it is illegal to mess with transformers, not to mention very dangerous.

For the most part, I don't care one way or the other. However, I have to ask if they are so dangerous, then why would the electric company ever decide to move them from the poles, where you'd have to climb to get to them, down to the ground where kids could and do play on them?

For the most part they are safe as long as they are locked. Laws require the electrical companies to make sure they are sealed and secured at all times. They must inspect them every 5 years. They also must respond right away when some one reports them not locked or sealed.

Which is probably another reason they did not want me to put it near the door.

I have searched the net for a while trying to find anything saying some one got zapped by one that was locked.

I found one article where some one got hurt, and the box was damaged, and the electric company failed to make repairs right away.

Well, I'm not going to argue the fine points of electricity here. I just felt like making a comment. Messing around includes climbing on.. But; first, the utility company saves money by putting them on the ground, even if they pay for an accident once in a while. So yes, Money trumps safety. No I don't agree with it, it just does. Second, there is a cache in Granite Falls on a transformer. There is also a big gap on one side where the transformer was set crooked. Not to mention just because you don't understand how it works, doesn't meant it won't kill you. No body at a utility company has the authority to give any one except Linemen permission to even touch one. Not even City Inspectors can open them, they have a linemen do it. Your average house has a 200 amp panel, 15 to 50 amp circuits. Those transformers have 70,000 and more volts over 200 KVA. It only takes .5 amp to stop your heart if it hits right. The odds are well against you. On the other hand, I got blown across the room and knocked out by a 400 amp main and got up by myself. It's all up to you. I don't really care. Like I said, I just felt like saying something about the subject.

For the most part they are safe as long as they are locked. Laws require the electrical companies to make sure they are sealed and secured at all times. They must inspect them every 5 years. They also must respond right away when some one reports them not locked or sealed.

I have searched the net for a while trying to find anything saying some one got zapped by one that was locked.

I found one article where some one got hurt, and the box was damaged, and the electric company failed to make repairs right away.

I still call BS that you got permission and until you prove it I will continue to call BS.

NO utility company that can afford a half decent lawyer would allow them to do that.

Bad mouth me all you want and swear but you are still wrong.

BTW what are "Bob and Pat's" last names?

That might be useful when I call the utility company.

Edited by brslk

What people aren't realising are they are meant to be safe. Sometimes they are not. It's all about risk management. It's not very likely to bite you but if it does you are toast (literally).

Just by way of example, in my neck of the woods, we are dealing with a lamp post where the lineman made a phase-neutral transposition. It was a metal street lighting pole and when the lights came on the pole was live. Anyone looking for a cache there in the daytime would be fine, but a night cacher.....

Edited by Huntleigh

From the web, it happens:

electric grates in nyc -

In the past six months there have been reported cases of electrcic grates being electrified by underground wires, in New York City. On certain occasions these have shocked dogs and in one case, an East Village woman was fatally electrocuted while trying to save her dogs from an electrocuted street plate. "Con-Ed says stray voltage becomes a problem in the winter, when melting snow and salt can further corrode frayed or nicked underground cables."

BTW. I once got nailed by 20,000 volts. It burnt a hole right into my hand and left 3" burn marks that lasted for years.

I still call BS that you got permission and until you prove it I will continue to call BS.

NO utility company that can afford a half decent lawyer would allow them to do that.

Thank you.

For God's sake, will you go away for a while?

Anyone have a photo of a 'magnetic sheet' type geocache that they can post?

We used to use them. Magnetic signs, letters, etc with a logsheet on back.

I think GS decreed that geocaches must be a container with a log and thus, magnetic signs not being a container, are no longer allowed. Or something. I think. :angry:

It is my understanding that they can be used, as long as there is some sort of removable log to sign. You can't just sign the backside of the vinyl. Problem is that any sort of envelope attached to the back means that the magnet won't be perfectly flush.

They can still be used for a stage of a multi-cache, however.

I think GS decreed that geocaches must be a container with a log and thus, magnetic signs not being a container, are no longer allowed. Or something. I think. :angry:

It is my understanding that they can be used, as long as there is some sort of removable log to sign. You can't just sign the backside of the vinyl. Problem is that any sort of envelope attached to the back means that the magnet won't be perfectly flush.

They can still be used for a stage of a multi-cache, however.

I found a new cache like that recently. The "container" was a plastic bag with log attached to the back of the magnetic sign. It lay flush enough to be effective. It was on a telephone junction box, with very low voltage; but the magnet said "danger, high voltage".

I think GS decreed that geocaches must be a container with a log and thus, magnetic signs not being a container, are no longer allowed. Or something. I think. :blink:

Just about as I expected. This whole thing is essentially bogus.

I think GS decreed that geocaches must be a container with a log and thus, magnetic signs not being a container, are no longer allowed. Or something. I think. :blink:

link

No one is stopping any one of you from calling JCP&L. I sent an email to them because I know all the trolls won't shut up until they see some sort of written statement.

As for them not being allowed. I explained in a note to the reviewer what it was. That it was a magnetic log sheet and the back is the log. It was posted. There for it must be okay.

People have found it, and all seem to like it.

You can still call BS all you want, but nothing is stopping you from calling. Please call them. Then you will know. I did not ask them for their last names. All I know is the gentleman that I spoke too was named Patrick, and he did not even know who to transfer me too about this. I was on hold several times until he asked his supervisor Bob.

He told me that it would be fine as long as it is not in front of the door or at least 10 feet away from the front door. On the side is fine. He went on to explain that they did not want the door blocked, or anything in front of it so that if a lineman had to get in it, they were not tripped by it if it were on the ground.

You can call my BS all you want. For proof all you need to do is call your self.

I posted the link to the page to the contact numbers. Feel free. When it all comes down to it, If I get an email back and post it, you will still call BS and say I faked it because you are a Troll. So you might as well just call your self to find out.

Mean while, the cache is posted, people are finding it, people like it. Call BS all you want. I won't change the fact that I did call, I did speak to some one who said it was Okay. So what ever. Call your self unless you are scared.

link

Yes. A link to the pics he posted showing what he did. But so far it's just hearsay whether or not magnetic signs with a log on the back are taboo or not. I do tend to agree in my opinion only that it doesn't constitute a "container". However, link anyone? :D

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I believe that he did call and that is the answer he got. He has reiterated it several times. Heck, he is even double checking. However, brsik is not a troll. Get real. Just because it is a strong opposing position, a troll you are not.

Honestly, if they are open and you are digging in them to find a cache or you see a wire and touch that, then I say those actions display a lack of common sense.

I don't know we have a ton of them in my caching area and they don't faze anyone. I can't say that I am fazed about them either.

Besides, doesn't the avatar say it all? :blink:

At this point I could care less. I did what I had to do. I called, and I am waiting for an email back from them. I have no problem calling anyone and asking anything.

1) I explained what type of cache it was to the reviewer.

2) I told the reviewer where it was being hidden.

3) It was published.

Just to be on the up and up,

4) I called JCP&L to see if it was okay to be there and they said it was okay.

5) I emailed and am waiting for response as to weather or not the cache is okay there.

6) My cache is still posted regardless if any one on this forum believes me or not.

Think what you want.....

Here it is "NON BELIEVERS!"

I got my email back, and it AGAIN confirms that MY CACHE, the is on green transformer box is OKAY TO BE THERE!!!!! Last time I was given information through a rep via his supervisor. This time information was given by a "Safety expert".

SO, If this is not good enough for you, you can suck an egg.

Dear Mr. Reiman - we are in receipt of your recent inquirty to our

FirstEnergy website about the GPS treasure hunting game. I have checked

with our Safety Expert about receiving permission to use the back of one of

our green transformer boxes as a " hiding" site during your game.

He advised that it would be OK as long as it does not cover any of OUR

regulated decals and information labels.

If you require any more specific information, kindly call our Safety Expert

- Bill Stevenson - at 732-212-4166. Thank you and good luck with your

treasure hunt game! - Elaine Vincent, Community Involvement Manager

-- Response to your original message sent on 06/09/2010 12:32:15 AM --

Hello,

I participate in a world wide GPS treasure hunting game.

www.geocaching.com for more information.

Basically some one will hide

something and log the GPS coordinates on the geocaching.com website, and

people with GPSr's seek them to find and sign the log book, then log their

finds on the website. Currently there are over 800,000 world wide

international.

I am contacting you because I am seeking permission to hid

one of these at a green transformer box. One of the main things about

hiding one of these "cache's" is getting permission.

What I wish to hide is

a magnetic sheet painted the same color as the box. On the magnetic side is

where people sign when they find it. It would be stuck to the side of one.

Not in the front or back. It is something that the average joe would not

notice, but a "geocacher" would immediately.

No one would bother box in any

way except to pull the sheet off, sign it, and put it back.

In order to be

able to hide this and have it listed on the site is permission to put it

there.

I have already spoken to some one from JCP&L and they said that it

should be okay as long as it does not obstruct the front where the doors

are, and is not on the ground in the way of it unless it is not within 10

feet of the front of the box where the doors are.

Please visit the site to

see what it is all about.

Thank you!

-----------------------------------------

The information contained in this message is intended only for the

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If

the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an

agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you

are hereby notified that you have received this document in error

and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of

this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this

communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete

the original message.

I asked the same thing that I asked the initial rep Patrick, and this time they were not as concerned with the opening of the box, and more about their required decals. At any rate, my cache does not cover any decals, and is not on the front or the door just the extra compliant. smiley-dance013.gif <--- My victory dance.

I expect apologies, but understand they will only come from individuals who can be a bigger person.

Edited by mchaos

I asked the same thing that I asked the initial rep Patrick, and this time they were not as concerned with the opening of the box, and more about their required decals. At any rate, my cache does not cover any decals, and is not on the front or the door just the extra compliant. smiley-dance013.gif <--- My victory dance.

I expect apologies, but understand they will only come from individuals who can be a bigger person.

Good. Now do you have permission from Lowes? Oh c'mon, I'm just kidding.

Very nice job getting the permission. Really though, there's only like one non-believer. :ph34r:

If you feel the need to warn others about the dangers of hiding caches on electrical equipment or creating cache containers that will cause other cachers to start opening up real eletrical boxes, please do so here so we can keep the Cool Cache Containers thread on-topic with actual CCC's.

i'm sorry but i don't understand...

what is this "on-topic" stuff you speak of?

I forget. :ph34r:

Originally I posted a pic of my latest cache in the CCC thread. It was a green magnetic strip on a green transformer box. I had some people wig out about safety, and permission to have it there. Safety is not a concern because these boxes have to be safe to be on the ground, so it came down to permission. So I called, they weren't sure who I needed to talk to at first but a supervisor said it would be okay as long as it wasn't on the front, or blocking the door (in a nut shell) So Some one thought he needed to call me out on a bluff, but I had already ALSO emailed and was waiting for a reply. This morning it came and it was even better then my previous phone chat as a Safety Expert had been consulted and said that it was fine as long as it didn't cover any decals on the unit.

Edited by mchaos