E.T. Highway Power Trail

I'll wait until the excitement dies down, then go out and do the trail SOLO!

Finding that many caches as part of a group doesn't sound like any fun.

Give it up. Your record is going to go down to a kid from Philadelphia with 9 finds, and a bunch of his friends. Not that I doubt this, or anything. :D

Cache 1 near Crystal Springs, Nevada northwesterly along the Extra Terrestrial Highway ( 375 ) toward Rachel, Nevada and on to the intersection of The Grand Army Highway ( 6 ) then westerly toward Tonopah, Nevada. As of 10 minutes ago 975 published am waiting to see the 51 caches in the shape of an Extraterrestrial Being. ( I imagine the # 51 has some significance )

Tonopah sits at 6030 feet Rachel sits below Coyote Summit which is 5390 feet. Distance between Tonopah and Rachel is roughly 109 miles. Rachel easterly to Crystal Springs is roughly 39 miles

Edited by humboldt flier

I think its a neat idea, I think it is a cool way to re-use containers, (unless they were bought strictly for this event) and a neat way to bring the weirdos out of the woodwork for a weirdo convention I would love to attend in full alien costume, and a sign that read....

231641275_17c37e3601.jpg

However, if its just a bunch of bought cache containers, with purchased swag for the sake of drawing attention to an otherwise desolate stretch of highway, I consider it littering, and the traffic it will cause will destroy the beauty of the serenity.

ahhh who am i kidding, all those cachers will most certainly be performing cito along that route, and not just out for the numbers,

and those geocoins made by the thousands, good for nothing other than a souvenir of a bizarre numbers run in the middle of nowhere, is definitely supporting some third world country someplace.

and the business listed as being a good spot to break for lunch will surely get a large revenue boost from a game that is otherwise free of any and all advertising ever!

one thing is for certain though, there will be a lot more people with finds counts over the four digit mark, in a very short span of time.

sure hope my g3 network is out there somewhere, or i could be out of luck!

From the cache page:

*Cell reception out here is not great so don't count on having phone service.

eh, the old schoolers are just sore that they spent a bunch of money on a fancy gps unit, a printer, ink, and paper to find their nearest caches, and dont have an android phone with a good application that lets regular users get the majority of the benefits of being a premium member without the fees, as well as having the power of google maps in your pocket.

I'll vote for SOOL. :D

PS most of us old schoolers haven't printed out a page in a while unless it was a long complicated puzzle/multi and we wanted to have the pages instead of flipping between screens and apps.

Edited by wimseyguy

From the cache page:

*Cell reception out here is not great so don't count on having phone service.

i saw that, my comment was sarcastic, like the rest of them, thanks captain obvious.

Hmmm... I admit that I'm tempted to try it. As I've mentioned, power caching usually isn't my kind of thing, but I have this strange urge to just see how many I could possibly find on a power trail like this. A once in a lifetime experience I suppose.

Anyone from OR/WA/Northern CA want to carpool? I can't go until after GeoWoodstock though...

It sounds like work, only more boring, and without the payment

+1

( I imagine the # 51 has some significance )

I'm trying to imagine the mentality of someone who could rubber stamp something 1000 times. I'm guessing there is a creative disconnect that would keep them from recognizing the significance of that number. Let's go see if I'm right... here's

E. T. 163. Compare it to E. T. 051. Yup. Other than the numeric indicator, and the coords, they are identical. (sigh...)

Still, there will be gobs of folks who enjoy dashing from one spot to another one 529' away, in search of film cans.

This series will provide some serious entertainment for them. Fun is what you make of it.

To me, finding that many as part of a group is the only way it would be any fun.

Gotta side with the spectacle wearing pooch on that one. A day or two spent with friends is sure to be a hoot, even if it involves hunting a bunch of zero creativity caches. A buddy of mine went with me to do a series of 36 power trail caches, and we had fun taking bets on what color lid would be on the next film can. About a quarter of the way through, we stopped using our Garmins all together, and just drove till the odometer clicked, looking for the next likely spot. It was fun, but I'm glad it's over.

It sounds like work, only more boring, and without the payment

+1

( I imagine the # 51 has some significance )

I'm trying to imagine the mentality of someone who could rubber stamp something 1000 times. I'm guessing there is a creative disconnect that would keep them from recognizing the significance of that number. Let's go see if I'm right... here's

E. T. 163. Compare it to E. T. 051. Yup. Other than the numeric indicator, and the coords, they are identical. (sigh...)

Still, there will be gobs of folks who enjoy dashing from one spot to another one 529' away, in search of film cans.

This series will provide some serious entertainment for them. Fun is what you make of it.

To me, finding that many as part of a group is the only way it would be any fun.

Gotta side with the spectacle wearing pooch on that one. A day or two spent with friends is sure to be a hoot, even if it involves hunting a bunch of zero creativity caches. A buddy of mine went with me to do a series of 36 power trail caches, and we had fun taking bets on what color lid would be on the next film can. About a quarter of the way through, we stopped using our Garmins all together, and just drove till the odometer clicked, looking for the next likely spot. It was fun, but I'm glad it's over.

Lucky for you there isn't any gator infested nipple deep water around for several hundred miles. You shouldn't have any trouble ignoring this flavor of fun. :D

All of the powercaching I have done has always been about the camaraderie and fun with the group in the car. Finding the caches almost becomes secondary. If this is done properly, it would as touchstone alluded to, be a rolling party out in the desert for hours of fun.

Is this real?

No that is a decoy, the real one has a blue bow.

Edited by wimseyguy

a much smaller version of this power run just popped up right down the street from my house,

GC2A5MG

going to nab them in a few minutes after i recharge my cell phone of course, hahahahaaaa (insert witty jokes about how my smartphone is nowhere near as amazing as your gps unit.)

Hmmm... I admit that I'm tempted to try it. As I've mentioned, power caching usually isn't my kind of thing, but I have this strange urge to just see how many I could possibly find on a power trail like this. A once in a lifetime experience I suppose.

Anyone from OR/WA/Northern CA want to carpool? I can't go until after GeoWoodstock though...

That looks fun, I always wanted to go out in the desert and find some geocaches.

Is this real?

Yes

The pic of the Colonel comprises 65,000 one-foot-square painted tiles laid out on a plot near Rachel, Nevada. Gone is Sanders' traditional suit, replaced by a with-it and happening red apron.

And

In a massive marketing venture, the revamped logo for KFC, featuring a trimmer-looking Colonel Sanders sporting a funky red apron, was launched in the Nevada desert near top-secret Area 51. The 87,500 square foot Colonel Sanders logo is off Rt. 375, "Extraterrestrial Highway", in Rachel, Nevada. The massive logo consisted of 54,000 Snap Lock Tiles, in five different colors. Work on the logo started in November 2006, but it was removed as of April 2007.

You can ask our local group that did that Trail of the gods. :D

I took a look at the first Find log:

TFTH

Not surprisingly, the same thing was written for the second cache, and the third....

The number of caches on the E.T. trail is just slightly less than my total number of finds after 3.5 yeears of geocaching. Assuming I flew across the country and did the E.T., even if it took me a week, the experience I'd have woujld pale in comparison to the experiences I've had from my 1005 finds.

Looking at that area, it appears that there were quite a few caches in the desert that were in place before the power trail. I wonder how the COs of those caches feel about the power trail. I would bet that while the PT is going to draw some cachers to the area, those older caches probably won't get found as often as they did in the past. IMHO, the ET PT has degraded what was probably a pretty good desert geocaching experience in that area. There have been many debates about the banning of virtual caches, the lack of a *good* cache rating system, and the lack of a nano category, but, in my opinion, the loosening of the guidelines such that power trails like the TotG and this one are now possible was absolutely the worst decision that Groundspeak has ever made.

Apparently it was real, but has been removed. The Google Earth image is obviously a couple of years old. Recent finders of Aliens taste like Chicken report looking for the Colonel, but not seeing him.

Those nearby caches were placed in April of this year, and all of them mention the Colonel (although its true that they could simply be referring to the satellite view). The image was a mosaic of interlocking tiles (I'm guessing those rubber ones that you can tile your garage with) so it could be that it simply isn't recognizable from the ground as what it is. Anyway, it is pretty cool.

Apparently it was real, but has been removed. The Google Earth image is obviously a couple of years old. Recent finders of Aliens taste like Chicken report looking for the Colonel, but not seeing him.

Those nearby caches were placed in April of this year, and all of them mention the Colonel (although its true that they could simply be referring to the satellite view). The image was a mosaic of interlocking tiles (I'm guessing those rubber ones that you can tile your garage with) so it could be that it simply isn't recognizable from the ground as what it is. Anyway, it is pretty cool.

It's just wikimapia (whatever that is), but in your 2nd link in post # 29, it mentions the image being removed in 2007. I'm sure there will be plenty of Geocachers in Rachel, Nevada in the near future who could verify this.

Here's my thing, I would love to get a group of cachers out to go do that series over a few days, but after what happened with the Trail of the Gods, I'd be scared to book any travel arrangements knowing that the whole series could get archived like the last one.

Here's my thing, I would love to get a group of cachers out to go do that series over a few days, but after what happened with the Trail of the Gods, I'd be scared to book any travel arrangements knowing that the whole series could get archived like the last one.

Good point. It would be nice to hear from one of the organizers that they have permission for all of these.