Collecting Archived Caches

A local cacher in my area with well over 1000 hides has decided to get out of the game and he is systematically archiving caches as they are posted in need of maintenance. He has communicated that he is not able to pick up the old caches which prompted my question. I know many of the caches are still there and the caches themselves are in great shape. Would it be okay for me to collect them and possibly even rehide them? I'm not planning on simply rehiding everything as it was (his leaving the game will open up lots of great places that were previously saturated) but I'd hate for all of these containers to simply become geotrash. Is there a protocol for this type of situation?

A local cacher in my area with well over 1000 hides has decided to get out of the game and he is systematically archiving caches as they are posted in need of maintenance. He has communicated that he is not able to pick up the old caches which prompted my question. I know many of the caches are still there and the caches themselves are in great shape. Would it be okay for me to collect them and possibly even rehide them? I'm not planning on simply rehiding everything as it was (his leaving the game will open up lots of great places that were previously saturated) but I'd hate for all of these containers to simply become geotrash. Is there a protocol for this type of situation?

Wow... that sounds like a nightmare. Good on you for trying to make it good though.

In principle, yes, it should be OK to CITO archived caches.

When they are archived, if the owner doesn't go after them, they are trash.

Of course you should check with the owner first. No response should equal permission.

I agree wholeheartedly. If they dont reply that means they give permission.

In principle, yes, it should be OK to CITO archived caches.

When they are archived, if the owner doesn't go after them, they are trash.

Of course you should check with the owner first. No response should equal permission.

I agree wholeheartedly. If they dont reply that means they give permission.

It could just mean your email got sucked up by their ISP's spam filter. :)

But in general I agree that if they don't pick up their caches after archival, then they are probably geo trash and fair game to pick up.

Assuming no problem with spam filters, if they don't answer then the caches are likely not cross listed with another listing service.

How about contacting the CO and asking if you can adopt the caches as they need attention? You'd be going out there anyway to 'retrieve' the cache, so you could just maintain it...just a thought.

Let 'em be archived and then go get 'em. The CO has made it clear that they are abandoning them. You are looking at an opportunity to hide 1000 new caches for the locals to find. Don't wreck that chance by adopting the old ones.

Just make sure everyone understands that archived does not automatically abandoned. I'd probably wait for a positive response before picking up other people's property. You never know. I've got some archived caches still in the wild that are 100% viable and waiting for the next visitor. They're just archived here.

How about contacting the CO and asking if you can adopt the caches as they need attention? You'd be going out there anyway to 'retrieve' the cache, so you could just maintain it...just a thought.

An excellent idea.

Don't worry about whether all of the locals have found them all or not. It always perturbed me a little when someone archived a cache and placed pretty much the identical cache a few feet away. Don't let your actions be determined by someone's desire for yet another smilie.

Edited by CoyoteRed

The face of this statement is a good one. When "NM' logs are posted, only the CO receives the email of such and only the CO can clear these issues.

Sure, you can "watch" the cache and be made aware of the issues, but you cannot clear that big red & white cross icon. Should some poor cacher need a hint -- who gets the email? Not you!

Unofficially adopted caches abound. Although some are kept well, the majority fall into a category of being just a junky cache at a nice location. It should either be allowed to die and be archived, or be OFFICIALLY adopted and maintained.

My 2¢ worth...

edit: context.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Ask first. I used to collect archived caches that I suspected were abandoned (if you find them, you can log them!). Until that one owner who furiously accused me of stealing.

He hadn't logged into GC for several years, the park his cache was in had banned caches two months previously and it was a six mile round trip hike. When I saw the email, I assumed he was writing to thank me. Hoo boy!

Honestly, write the caches' owner and see if you can work out a deal. If he has written that he wants to get rid of his caches then you could try to make arrangements with him for any that you want to adopt or pick up after they are archived. Once you get his ok and have either adopted or waited for him to archive them then you should be able to do whatever you want with those he has agreed to relinquish to you without worrying about it.