New to this! GPSmap 60CSx

momx6

Just got this for the family - been wanting one for a long time and got the $200 deal at Bass Pro Shop. But now I can't figure it out. Specifically - when I get close to a cache, the GPS will tell me a distance - say 5ft. Then I love an inch and it jumps back to 12 ft. VERY frustrating! We've been able to find a couple of large caches - mainly by just guessing "that tree stump would be a good place to hide it!", but we are having lots of trouble with micros. I'm hoping there is a setting on my GPS that isn't set correctly or something.

What you are seeing is perfectly normal for the vast majority of consumer grade GPS units. They have a general accuracy in the range of 15 to 25 feet under most conditions. When you get inside that area, readings can vary quite a bit and take some time to stabilize to any degree. Nothing to set or change. The best advice I can give is to put the GPS away and start looking for likely hiding spots once you are within 20 feet or so.

The GPSr will only take you so far. Particularly with micros, pay close attention to the cache title, description, hints, and past logs. The 60csx is not paperless, but with GSAK I used to load at least some of the hint into the notes displayed for a cache -- so you might want to experiment a bit with that or use a pda or other device with the unit.

Remember that the coordinates will have a certain error built into it -- which might vary depending on the amount of tree cover and the conditions at the cache location. The coordinates are only "accurate" to the degree that the owner's gpsr and yours agree. If both were 10-15 feet off, that still leaves a good search area. If they were both 20-30 feet off, the search area would be that much broader. I have found caches that were over a hundred feet away from where my gpsr was pointing, but usually I will stop the search sooner than that.

There are a number of threads in this forum giving advice to people who look for micros. I probably do not need to repeat all of that advice here. But think about the area. Try it from different angles. Look for common types of containers. Think about things that might seem just out of place. Fake rocks, bolts, sprinklers, pine cones, and the like are not unheard of. Magnetic containers, including very small nanos, are usually attached to metal (although I have seen variations on that theme). I have found my share of micros under a rock next to a sign, in a lamp post skirt, or guard rails among spider webs. Little nooks with a piece of bark covering the container are also popular where I live. Each area may develop its own "style. so sometimes it helps to go out with more experienced cachers and get a feel for how they are usually hidden.

As you gain experience, you will learn more about how micros are commonly hidden, but a camo'd bison tube hanging in a tree or juniper bush may still be hard to spot even if you are standing directly where your gpsr is pointing. If it gets to the point where the search is not fun, then don't feel bad about leaving it for another day - or not.

In the meantime, I would start out looking for bigger containers or easier-rated caches. As you gain more confidence with caching and the gpsr, the micros might be easier to spot.

Edited by mulvaney

Just adding to the chorus that what you're experiencing is perfectly normal. You're already developing your large cache, "That would be a good place for a cache" sense...as you become experienced with micros, you'll develop a sense for them, too.

I have the same GPSr as you. When we're walking towards Ground Zero, it beeps. That's the moment at which we lift our eyes from it and start looking around, using our eyes more than the arrow. Sometimes circling (terrain permitting) seems to help focus in to the right spot. My sister likes to use the map view to home in, but I haven't tried that method.

Good luck, and have fun! Concentrate on the bigger ones if micros are getting you down. :laughing:

--Q

You are experiencing the "drunken bee" dance, exhibited by cachers that pay too close attention to their GPSr while at Ground Zero (20 or so feet - it does vary). Instead of looking for the cache, they are looking at their hand (holding the GPSr) and following every twist and turn.

Simply put, it goes nutz when you are at GZ, swinging wildly this way and that. Turn the thing off, forget about it. You are there, now you must hunt for the cache (your GPSr doesn't know how to hunt -- only how get you to GZ). :laughing:

Ha! I love the tip that says 'turn it off...it's not gonna help ya'.

I have three fields on the ARROW screen showing.

In the upper left I keep the ACCURACY

In the upper Right I keep the Distance to go

and of course the Arrow is giant sized for old folks like me.

You can see the accuracy and distance have a lot to do with how close you really are to the cache.

If the accuracy is 7 feet, and the distance to go is ZERO, then put down the gps and start looking.

If the accuracy is 65 feet and the distance is ZERO, then you have a large area to search.

Also..... you can have the Compass turn on after a certain point in time..... perhaps after 30 seconds of speed under 15 mph. This will allow you to drive around without being confused at stop lights (sometime the arrow will flip backwards), and it will still point AT the cache when you stop moving near zero.

The best suggestion....is to figure out where ZERO is .....while you are approaching the cache.

I normally have a pretty good idea before I exit the vehicle. :huh:

Ha! I love the tip that says 'turn it off...it's not gonna help ya'.

I have three fields on the ARROW screen showing.

In the upper left I keep the ACCURACY

In the upper Right I keep the Distance to go

and of course the Arrow is giant sized for old folks like me.

You can see the accuracy and distance have a lot to do with how close you really are to the cache.

If the accuracy is 7 feet, and the distance to go is ZERO, then put down the gps and start looking.

If the accuracy is 65 feet and the distance is ZERO, then you have a large area to search.

Also..... you can have the Compass turn on after a certain point in time..... perhaps after 30 seconds of speed under 15 mph. This will allow you to drive around without being confused at stop lights (sometime the arrow will flip backwards), and it will still point AT the cache when you stop moving near zero.

The best suggestion....is to figure out where ZERO is .....while you are approaching the cache.

I normally have a pretty good idea before I exit the vehicle. :huh:

You speak as if you know something about this sport.

I had the same trouble when I first started. One very simple trick has helped me the most. As you approach the area watch very closely what your needle is pointing to as you walk up to the cache area, be it a tree, a post, a bush, electrical box, rock, whatever. When you get to ground zero, just put the GPS down and search the "thing" your GPS was pointing to from 20 or 30 feet away. 99 percent of the time your cache will be in that tree, bush, rock, pole or whatever. The thing to remember is when you are at ground zero, your GPS won't help much. Also remember that the owner of the cache has an error in the coords, and your GPS has some error. So, if you get to ground zero and there is nothing but a big oak tree 15 feet away from you, guess where the cache probably is???