I spent my vacation hiding new caches

Did you guys miss me? Keystone gave me a weeks vacation free of charge! Thanks keystone!

I bought you all t-shirts, well sort of bought, ok I dumpsterdove you all t-shirts,

they arnt even that dirty!

So I spent my time off doing things I needed to get done, including hiding some caches,

when people find your caches and leave you lovely journal entries, do you write them back or do you just leave it at that? Ive had some really good entries, and I wanted to thank the people fo rthem, but I wasnt sure...

I also ran into a fellow geocacher, found out he stole my polar bear, thats ok, cause i scared he crap out of him. ha!

so now were even.

I also bought a used gps, havent tried it much, its really finiky, its a magellen 300, pretty old school, I dont know if it even works, since comparing it to my smartphone, my smartphone has been blowing it out of the water. Has anyone had any experience with this model? should I trash it?

Did you guys miss me?

Yup. But our aim is getting better. :mad:

Keystone gave me a weeks vacation free of charge! Thanks keystone!

He does his best.

I bought you all t-shirts, well sort of bought, ok I dumpsterdove you all t-shirts,

Do they say "Ashnikes went dumpster diving and all I got was this lousy t-shirt"?

So I spent my time off doing things I needed to get done, including hiding some caches,

when people find your caches and leave you lovely journal entries, do you write them back or do you just leave it at that? Ive had some really good entries, and I wanted to thank the people fo rthem, but I wasnt sure...

I've been known to reply on the cache page and/or through email.

I also ran into a fellow geocacher, found out he stole my polar bear, thats ok, cause i scared he crap out of him. ha!

so now were even.

I still think you need to be careful doing that kind of crap. It can get you punched in the nose. Or worse.

I also bought a used gps, havent tried it much, its really finiky, its a magellen 300, pretty old school, I dont know if it even works, since comparing it to my smartphone, my smartphone has been blowing it out of the water. Has anyone had any experience with this model? should I trash it?

A Maggie? :( I'll leave it at that. :laughing:

Did you guys miss me? Keystone gave me a weeks vacation free of charge! Thanks keystone!

so now were even.

Hey, that's the kind of vacation cache I can support. If your area needs a few more would you mind taking another? :mad:

Yes, I do contact people who visit my caches, mainly if they are from out of town. (I talk to my locals enough as it is)

when people find your caches and leave you lovely journal entries, do you write them back or do you just leave it at that?
I occasionally send email in response to online logs. When I do, it's because the log was exceptional, or because the finders are new and I'm welcoming them to the game.

I have an old Magellan GPS 310 that makes a pretty good paperweight. When it worked, it was accurate only to 2 decimal places in the minutes (i.e., xx° xx.XX rather than xx° xx.XXX). But I've never gotten it to work since I started geocaching.

So now I'm a travel agent? :mad:

I don't especially like arranging vacations, but if necessary I can book solo trips or even package deals.

This week's special: The "Send a Kid to Banned Camp" guided excursion. Hurry, as the bus seats are filling up fast.

So now I'm a travel agent? ;)

I don't especially like arranging vacations, but if necessary I can book solo trips or even package deals.

This week's special: The "Send a Kid to Banned Camp" guided excursion. Hurry, as the bus seats are filling up fast.

But I don't wanna get on the bus. I get carsick!

Did I miss you? No.

Just remember, the vacations get longer each time and, for some reason, the memory span of the vacation assignments are forever. So even if you go a year between vacations, you might just get an extra long one.

As for hiding more caches on your vacation, I sure hope you put more thought into the respect for the cachers in those than you do in the respect for others on the forum pages.

I dont respect forum members? When have I ever bashed anyone on here?

You bash other geocachers quite regularly. You also make intentionally inflammatory comments, and spam the forum with inane posts.

I expect - based on your behaviour here - that any cache you'd place would be a parking lot micro on private property with a leaky container, urine-soaked logbook, and rusty fish hooks as swag.

Are you sure you are talking about me?

I just tend to post stupid comments that make no sense to the overall commentary, and get bashed for them.

I cant recall any time I bashed anyone in particular, I bash things I see about the game I disagree with, but generaly by the end of the thread you all have convinced me why those things happen, and what I can do to make them better.

and as far as my caches, how did you know? Have you found them? I thought I hid them better than that because i used my smartphone, so the coordinantes would be roughly 430 ft off.

As I sat here, thousands of miles from an ashnikes cache, drinking the first mug of tea for the day I thought I'd have a look at what ashnikes has been up to so I've just spent 10 minutes looking at his new caches...

I just had to post that I enjoyed reading every one of those cache pages, I love your funny back stories - Good job, ashnikes!

Judging from the logs so far, they are good caches, your local cachers are having fun finding them and you're being a proactive owner. They are exactly the sort of caches I'd want to hunt down if I lived in that area... and I'd love a minnow pedicure ;)

MrsB

Back to your Magellan question, copied from another post....

We had a Triton 300 and had the same problem... only our first unit was 10 MILES off! We could do better without it! We sent it in and the company sent us another one - 26 miles off. Sent it back and the next one was 13 miles off, even with the upgraded maps. (This whole saga is why we were out of the caching loop for almost a year and a half.) So, got our money back and bought a Lowrance Endura Safari! Now we are definately happy cachers!! I know not everyone has this bad of a problem with the Tritons, but it has "put us off" the brand. I have heard the newer Magallens are very good.

As I sat here, thousands of miles from an ashnikes cache, drinking the first mug of tea for the day I thought I'd have a look at what ashnikes has been up to so I've just spent 10 minutes looking at his new caches...

I just had to post that I enjoyed reading every one of those cache pages, I love your funny back stories - Good job, ashnikes!

Judging from the logs so far, they are good caches, your local cachers are having fun finding them and you're being a proactive owner. They are exactly the sort of caches I'd want to hunt down if I lived in that area... and I'd love a minnow pedicure :D

MrsB

Seconded :blink:

We’re going to be back in Central Florida next year, and I’m hoping to find the Dr Horrible cache at the very least. Partly cos I’m a big Joss Whedon fan anyway, partly because the cache pages are indeed really well written and make me want to visit, and partly because I just wanna find a cache placed by the infamous Ashnikes ;)

Hahahaha one of these days ill place some more caches, I have some large containers already lined up, just have to find interesting places for them. I dont want to place a bunch of lame caches just because I can, I want to place caches I would enjoy to find, but ive got quite a bit on my plate now that schools back in session, so who knows when that sgoing to happen, as far as maintaining them, they are all within 20 mins of my house, and I check up on them all the time. so no worries.

Im The fellow cacher ole ashnikes ran into, I wouldnt say he scared me, just the startle you get when running into someone in the woods.

I can say I enjoyed finding his multi cache (where we met) it has a few nuts n bolts to tweek, but he put alot of thought and effort into the hide. I think he has a great geocaching spirit and makes the game better.

I just think he may come across as harsh in some of his posts, which can happen in an all text forum, as apposed to face to face. His situation with you guys in the forums kind of reminds me of how you all treated "Bitsen" when he first started posting here. He came across as kinda harsh, and you guys used to rip on him.

Keep up the good work ashnikes, You want the "Icy Bear" back?

Im The fellow cacher ole ashnikes ran into, I wouldnt say he scared me, just the startle you get when running into someone in the woods.

I can say I enjoyed finding his multi cache (where we met) it has a few nuts n bolts to tweek, but he put alot of thought and effort into the hide. I think he has a great geocaching spirit and makes the game better.

I just think he may come across as harsh in some of his posts, which can happen in an all text forum, as apposed to face to face. His situation with you guys in the forums kind of reminds me of how you all treated "Bitsen" when he first started posting here. He came across as kinda harsh, and you guys used to rip on him.

Hey now...

I'm not nearly as bad as that ash person.

P.S. Bittsen is a he?

Judging from the logs so far, they are good caches, your local cachers are having fun finding them and you're being a proactive owner. They are exactly the sort of caches I'd want to hunt down if I lived in that area... and I'd love a minnow pedicure :lol:

MrsB

I agree. If I was just a bit closer, I would definitely go looking for these caches. He puts a lot of creativity into these.

So now I'm a travel agent? :blink:

Can you book one way trips? Just curious.

Why would we want that? Everyone has worth, even if it is only as an example.

No way man! He's rightfully yours now, besides, I have another one, and I will find more, enjoy him, take good care of him, and maybe use him on your cache like you were talking about. That would be a cool travel bug! Would have to travel to only the biggest of caches, or the most seculded, hmm, maybe ill make mine a tb, now that im thinking about it,

(the ice bear is roughly 5ft tall, 2ft wide, and 1/16th of an inch thick. hmm ill have to start a new topic..."

I just think he may come across as harsh in some of his posts, which can happen in an all text forum, as apposed to face to face.

This is my impression, exactly, based on what I see from the logs on his caches. I suspect that I am often guilty of the same transgression.

No way man! He's rightfully yours now, besides, I have another one, and I will find more, enjoy him, take good care of him, and maybe use him on your cache like you were talking about. That would be a cool travel bug! Would have to travel to only the biggest of caches, or the most seculded, hmm, maybe ill make mine a tb, now that im thinking about it,

(the ice bear is roughly 5ft tall, 2ft wide, and 1/16th of an inch thick. hmm ill have to start a new topic..."

There was a TB called "Barry" that was passed around a few local caches in my area. Barry was a 3' section of railroad track so it didn't fit in many caches so it was often left next to a cache rather than in it. It was hard to get rid of so on a couple of occasions it was awarded as a raffle prize along with other items raffled off at geo events. I have no idea where it is now but for awhile it was somewhat infamous.

I have no idea where it is now but for awhile it was somewhat infamous.

After searching through five pages of trackables with "Barry" in the title, this is the best I could come up with. This Barry is a 4' piece of railroad barricade. It was last seen being taken from an Ontario TB hotel in April of '09. Makes me wonder how someone could lose such a big bug?

521d1f05-886f-41b1-9969-6d8949a01f24.jpg