dashboard gps devices

so...

has anyone been able to use their automobile gps to find and hide caches?

It works somewhat. I've got a lower end Tom Tom that used before I got my Dakota. With mine, there is no compass function and when you look at the map, the little car icon stays on the roads so it's hard to get to the correct area. I found a couple regular sized caches with it.

so...

Found my first couple that way. It's also why I started looking for a good handheld right away. :mad:

I would NOT recommend using one to hide caches -- no waypoint averaging function, and less chance of getting the best set of coordinates as a result. Worse, if the 'road snap' kicks in, you could be a LONG way from the real coordinates!

so...

All the time!

I've posted on this topic before... but I'll say it again.

I have a Garmin nuvi 255W that I use when I don't have the handheld with me. It gets excellent reception, even in the woods, in fact; better than the handheld in dense tree cover. When I hide caches, I use both units and take multiple readings so I can get the best coords possible; since I hide a lot of my caches out in the sticks where GPS reception can be wonky.

I prefer the handheld for really long hikes, as the car GPSr is not made for outdoor use and doesn't have the same water and other weather resistance, nor the same long battery life as our handheld GPS. I recommend that folks purchase a good handheld rather than a car GPSr, but if that's all they have, then it is possible to use one (at least a nuvi; no experience with other auto GPSrs).

But it works great! I have a special technique that I use with it, and I've probably found over 400 caches with it.

Our favorite combo is to use the car GPSr for driving to trailheads, or to park near caches, and then we take the handheld out to go find the actual cache.