Finder rating for caches

Dragery

Maybe an idea for future implementation would be the addition of a user rating system for geocaches. After finding a cache, you go on to log the find and there's an option for a 1-5 star rating for fun/experience/quality of the cache. (not all 3 of those obviously). I know that this could potentially bring up a bias, with factors such as personal preference in what we consider "fun" but you guys could figure something out ;D

If nothing else, at least have it viewable to the cache owner only, for feedback purposes. (Yes I know that's what the comments are for, but those aren't always the most informative.)

No need to flame the idea if you feel it's not needed. It's just a suggestion, and it's on Groundspeak if they ever did decide to use it.

I agree that this is a useful faciility, and already do it using the GCVote website at http://gcvote.com/index.php.

This adds the required scripts to Firefox, IE etc to let you give a 1 to 5 star vote to caches you have found, and display the ratings for ones that you haven't.

Its drawback is that it relies on there being others cachers near you who use it -- there seem to be several near me in the UK, and lots in Germany -- and cache owners who object to their caches being rated can block your votes. (Not that I understand why they should be so petty as to do this!)

Chris

Not only has it been brought up many times, discussed from every angle, it is also one of the top 3 suggestions on the Feedback site. (http://feedback.geocaching.com/geocaching/topics/finders_cache_ratings)

Nate (as in website guru OpinioNate) says, "A five star rating doesn't say very much. We are discussing a "kudos" style rating system that praises caches (or cachers) in a more specific way. Think: "Clever hide" or "Creative cache container". "

I find it very difficult to find anything on the feedback site!

This comment is bewildering. There is a "search topics" box on the right. I just entered "rating" into it and hit enter. A very appropriate topic to this thread was right near the top, with the highest number shown on the right.

I find it very difficult to find anything on the feedback site!

This comment is bewildering. There is a "search topics" box on the right. I just entered "rating" into it and hit enter. A very appropriate topic to this thread was right near the top, with the highest number shown on the right.

I also find the feedback site hard to navigate, even after you find the topic you're looking for.

I agree that this is a useful faciility, and already do it using the GCVote website at http://gcvote.com/index.php.

This adds the required scripts to Firefox, IE etc to let you give a 1 to 5 star vote to caches you have found, and display the ratings for ones that you haven't.

Its drawback is that it relies on there being others cachers near you who use it -- there seem to be several near me in the UK, and lots in Germany -- and cache owners who object to their caches being rated can block your votes. (Not that I understand why they should be so petty as to do this!)

Chris

I appreciate and use GCVote on every cache I find.

Not a lot of users here in Arizona, but that isn't stopping me from expressing my honest opinion(s).

If I can help just one cacher avoid a micro hidden behind a dumpster, then my efforts are justified.

Those darn academy awards are such a waste of time...who cares what anyone else thinks...

i thing a cache rating is a great idea. their are a growing number of caches that seem to be placed just for placings sake. Whilst I appreciate the comment about keeping a good atmosphere among cachers the website could show only a if the cache has a four star plus rating and not below.

i think this is a must for the future

honoredad

i thing a cache rating is a great idea. their are a growing number of caches that seem to be placed just for placings sake. Whilst I appreciate the comment about keeping a good atmosphere among cachers the website could show only a if the cache has a four star plus rating and not below.

i think this is a must for the future

honoredad