Garmin eTrex Legend

FireRef

I just got a GPS to work on from a friend. It worked fine when he had it, but since I got it, I can't get anything but the backlight to work. It couldn't have broken between him giving it to me and me trying it - it worked a day or two ago and now doesn't. I tried the hard reset procedure, and tried playing with the contrast (but I can't see the screen to see if I'm on the right screen to get the contrast to change).

I can get the backlight to work. I know when it is on by whether the backlight comes up when I press keys. But other than that, I can't see anything.

Help!

Also tried 3 sets of batteries - ones he gave me, freshly charged new energizer recharge, and fresh duracell alkaline non-rechargeable. No change.

Edited by FireRef

unit is dead. cable inside might have come loose. i suggest return or rma it for another. friend here at work had the etrex h yellow gps and it did that when i had it. nothing but backlight. he went back and exchanged/upgraded to the etrex legend at the store

Seems odd that it would have done that without warning, and just when I got it lol. And its not that I bought it - I borrowed it to get the data connection set up for that friend.