Loading gpx files into the Oregon 450T

Krusers

Hello and thanks for reading my post.

I am looking for some simple instructions on how to load gpx files into my Oregon 450T. My current method is to simply paste the gpx files into every folder on the GPS. This is not the way to do it but every time that I try to paste directly into a specific folder, it usually does not work.

Furthermore, when I want to remove these files and load newly updated pocket queries, what do I do?

Where can I go to best manage these gpx files? I used to use easy gps.

If I have specific waypoints that I would like to maintain, where should I store that file?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Caching!

Krusers, Casper,WY :huh:

Copy the GPX file from the Pocket Query directly to the /garmin/gpx folder and it will be read directly and the caches will display under Geocaches and not under Waypoints.

When you are done with those files, simply remove them from the unit (or card) and copy new ones to the unit.

Don't use EasyGPS unless you really have a need to do so. If you really want to manage the cache data, then GSAK is probably a better option.

The cache data will not affect the Waypoints which are stored in a different file. If you have specific caches that you want to save, then you can save them individually as Waypoints and they will not be removed when you remove the Pocket Query data.

Moving to the GPS and Technology forum.

If your PQ's are being updated by constantly having the same PQ run at regular intervals, the PQ file name will be the same each time. When you go to copy the PQ to the \Garmin\GPX folder, you'll be prompted to overwrite the old PQ, since the name is the same. Just overwrite the old one . . . this way you don't have to bother deleting the old ones before replacing them.

I wouldn't use anything to manage them, in terms of just loading them to the GPS. I just open my e-mail, open the zip directly from the e-mail with Windows Explorer, and then drag and drop the extracted .gpx directly to the GPS.

If you just want to see the contents of the .gpx, open it with EasyGPS. You can open it right from the GPS itself. If you need to manipulate data within the .gpx, GSAK is your best bet.

Edited by New Jersey TJ
I am having problems right now with my PQs. I save them right in the GPX folder on my 450t and certain ones do not display any caches on the unit when I start it up. But if I open the file on the unit using Mapsource the caches exist. I am stuck. Anyone seen this behaviour before?
The only time I've had something like that happen was when (on rare occasion) I'd load more than one PQ on my Oregon and forget to rename one of them, accidentally copying over another one that was already there. But if you're using the PQs just as they come, they should all have unique names.

At max, how many cache *.gpx files (with unique names, of course) are resident on your Oregon, and what's (roughly) the total cache count of those files?

Edited by ecanderson
I am having problems right now with my PQs. I save them right in the GPX folder on my 450t and certain ones do not display any caches on the unit when I start it up. But if I open the file on the unit using Mapsource the caches exist. I am stuck. Anyone seen this behaviour before?
The only time I've had something like that happen was when (on rare occasion) I'd load more than one PQ on my Oregon and forget to rename one of them, accidentally copying over another one that was already there. But if you're using the PQs just as they come, they should all have unique names.

At max, how many cache *.gpx files (with unique names, of course) are resident on your Oregon, and what's (roughly) the total cache count of those files?

I had cleared all off and was trying to put 4 PQs back on. One of which was my hides. So slightly over 3000, not accounting for duplicate caches.

I did find a workaround that worked, though. I tried saving them to a folder on my computer and then pasting them onto the Oregon and this worked like a charm. I still don't know why it happens though.

I had cleared all off and was trying to put 4 PQs back on. One of which was my hides. So slightly over 3000, not accounting for duplicate caches.

I did find a workaround that worked, though. I tried saving them to a folder on my computer and then pasting them onto the Oregon and this worked like a charm. I still don't know why it happens though.

Hmm... you are taking the simple approach to moving them to your unit now. How were you trying to move to them to your unit before? Mapsource? I noted you were reading them FROM your unit with Mapsource, but I don't see what you were using to get them to your unit to begin with. Since the simple copying process is working for you now, I'm guessing that the specific use of whatever tool you were using to load your Oregon before may have a lot to do with your missing caches.

Hmm... you are taking the simple approach to moving them to your unit now. How were you trying to move to them to your unit before? Mapsource? I noted you were reading them FROM your unit with Mapsource, but I don't see what you were using to get them to your unit to begin with. Since the simple copying process is working for you now, I'm guessing that the specific use of whatever tool you were using to load your Oregon before may have a lot to do with your missing caches.

Nahhh, I was extracting the zip files directly to the Oregon and 3 of 4 weren't showing caches on the unit even though the files were all listed as being on the unit and would even open in Mapsource. Now, if I take the extra step of saving them to the computer and pasting them over to the unit, they work.

I know, very strange behaviour!

Nahhh, I was extracting the zip files directly to the Oregon and 3 of 4 weren't showing caches on the unit even though the files were all listed as being on the unit and would even open in Mapsource. Now, if I take the extra step of saving them to the computer and pasting them over to the unit, they work.

Any chance that you didn't reboot your Oregon when unzip/copying them directly, and that you did reboot when you used your PC's HD as an interim position? My Oregon only seems to acknowledge new *.gpx or *.img loads on power up - that's when it loads them from 'external' to 'internal' memory where they are actually usable (the newer firmware actually has a progress indicator for that).

Any chance that you didn't reboot your Oregon when unzip/copying them directly, and that you did reboot when you used your PC's HD as an interim position? My Oregon only seems to acknowledge new *.gpx or *.img loads on power up - that's when it loads them from 'external' to 'internal' memory where they are actually usable (the newer firmware actually has a progress indicator for that).

That's true in that the unit seemed to freeze upon startup at about halfway along the progress indicator. I gave it a good 10-15 minutes before taking the batteries out and starting again. However, afterwards while troubleshooting, I did delete the PQs off of the unit and started over and still only one PQ displayed caches on the unit (until I pasted them over from the HD).

Thanks for your effort in trying to help in figuring this out with me, btw!

I've had both problems - 1. not seeing the gpx files and 2. locking up on startup.

This is what I do - YMMV

1. delete all gpx files on unit and redownload from Groundspeak

extract to temp floder

plug in gps

drop gpx files into folder on sd card

safely remove hardware - stop the usb mass storage device (stops both at same time)

leave for a couple of mins then unplug.

Put garmin in window turn on and wait until you get full strength from satellites then look for the nearest caches and read descriptions- should now work.

2. remove batteries (PIA) wait 30 sec reinsert and switch on.

BTW make sure the firmware is up to date - I belive there may be a problem with the newest version I'm using v3.82

Edited by Djinnsplace

The latest version of GSAK includes the Oregon 450 in the list of recognized units. Just put your files into GSAK and send them directly to the unit. I've been using the latest version with my GPSMAP 78S and it works beautifully. Registering GSAK was one of the best investments I've ever made. ;)