New to geochasheing

cclip

How do you know the sites are still there. We tried to find three Sunday and they were all ground up and looked like they had not been touched in years. I got home and went back on line and found that they were created over 4 years ago.. I was so disapointed and spent a lot of time and gas money going to these sites. My question is what is the best way to pick out site that are still around. I would love an email from someone that has been doing this for a while with a few pointers thanks I think this is great for one or family!! :anitongue:

Many caches were created several years ago but as was suggested you should check to see when they were last found and the difficulty rating. Beyond that, keep in mind that your search area can vary a great deal depending on the conditions. A 20-40 foot range would not be uncommon. Look for things that are out of place, places where a container could be hidden. Read the cache description and hint. Sometimes past logs will help as well, at least letting you know if people are having problems finding the cache. Start with the easier hides and larger containers as you get a feel for the game. And although you will not find them all, much of the fun is in the location - so look for caches that are in the type of places you enjoy visiting, then no matter what happens it will not be a wasted trip.

Edited by mulvaney

We have only been geocaching since April 27, 2010. We started out without a GPS'r and got about 40 finds until we got our GPS'r. For us, the most fun is the hunt. We logged our fair share of DNF's in the beginning, but we created a Watchlist with those that we DNF'd. Over the months until now we would put some of the caches on our Watchlist into our hunt list. In most cases, we would find the cache the second time around.

I suppose, like the others have mentioned, take note of the difficulty. Also read the last 4 or 5 logs. If you see several DNF's in a row, put it on a Watchlist and check it as time goes by.

Finding caches will build your confidence. A great way to gain confidence and experience is to attend a GeoEvent in your area. There are usually a lot of caches in a concentrated area and there will usually be a lot of experienced cachers at the event. Some events offer beginner training. Take advantage of it. Hook up with a few experienced cachers and go on a group hunt while at the event.

The main thing is to be safe, don't get discouraged and have a great time in the outdoors with you family or friends.

Happy Caching....

Just because you didn't find it, doesn't mean it isn't there. Perhaps you are relying on your GPS too much. It will get you to the area but won't always put you right on the cache, in fact it rarely will. The cache could be 20, 40 or more feet from where your GPS says it is. So when you get to the area think about where you would hide something if you were to and concentrate on those spots.

Also, be sure to log a DNF if you don't find it. It could be that the cache is indeed gone and the people who have searched recently didn't log their DNFs so the cache owner isn't aware of the problem.

And sometimes you just aren't going to find it. Last Saturday I was out with 4 other cachers. Between us we have over 13,000 finds and over 30 years of caching experience. We searched for a cache for 45 minutes and couldn't find it. The next day someone with 7 finds and who has been caching for a month found it. Go figure.

Also, be sure to log a DNF if you don't find it. It could be that the cache is indeed gone and the people who have searched recently didn't log their DNFs so the cache owner isn't aware of the problem.

This. Once, I posted a DNF (and nobody else did), and the cache owner discovered that the cache was gone. On another of my DNFs, the owner sent me a hint (I had made clear I was brand new and hopeless :lol:). Don't be afraid to post a DNF.

Hi Sandy

Thanks for joning this conversation

Sandy:

UN-publishable.

Apologies - that was a typo. You will need permission or the cache cannot be published.

My Mail from today:

DiViN3

You've receved the persmission, so there is no reason for not publishing the geocache - I look forward for your activation.

Hi Sandy

Sandy:

UN-publishable.

Apologies - that was a typo. You will need permission or the cache cannot be published.

My Mail from today:

DiViN3

You've receved the persmission, so there is no reason for not publishing the geocache - I look forward for your activation.

Whoa! What???

Hi Sandy

Sandy:

UN-publishable.

My Mail from today:

DiViN3

This might make more sense if it were in this thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=294981

Maybe. :unsure:

B.

>Yesterday we found one placed in July 2001, and it still had its original logbook.

>We actually sat around for a while reading all of the (detailed!) logs from years ago.

WOW great, someone used a hi end quality container ?

and located it out of rain and water ?

amazing, a rare find.

---

>The next day someone with 7 finds and who has been caching for a month found it. Go figure.

something similar happens to all people :-)

this is why I always search a VERY long time before we/I give up.

--

also please remmeber a "did not find it" log with good explain of what you did

and how much you searched is MORE usefull to many people, over a find it log.

so ALWAYS place a DNF log, if you tried to search, but did not find it.. thanks..

if you just went to the location but could not search for it, due to whatever reason,

place a NOTE log, say why..

Edited by OZ2CPU

Hi Sandy

Sandy:

UN-publishable.

My Mail from today:

DiViN3

Whoa! What???

Yup, thx. Hit the wrong page :)

Hi Sandy

Sandy:

UN-publishable.

My Mail from today:

DiViN3

Whoa! What???

Yup, thx. Hit the wrong page :)

I'd say you hit the wrong book in the wrong library. :lol: