Is My Oregon 550 DEAD?!?

G & C

Getting on my way to work tonight, I had planned on hitting a cache on the way. I powered the unit on with no external power, and while it was powering up, I plugged in the cigarette lighter power cord. The screen went blank, and now the unit does NOTHING. Took out the batteries for a while, changed batteries, tried a different external power cord, plugged it into the computer, and nothing. I don't see a reset button in the battery compartment or anything like that.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm kinda... lifeless without my GPS!

Getting on my way to work tonight, I had planned on hitting a cache on the way. I powered the unit on with no external power, and while it was powering up, I plugged in the cigarette lighter power cord. The screen went blank, and now the unit does NOTHING. Took out the batteries for a while, changed batteries, tried a different external power cord, plugged it into the computer, and nothing. I don't see a reset button in the battery compartment or anything like that.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm kinda... lifeless without my GPS!

Hi lots of details at the following link. Hope one of them works for you.

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Miscellaneous

Regards

sounds like the power adapter may be defective (like outputs 12 volts instead of 5) or maybe your cigarette lighter outputs more than 12 volts. too high voltage most likely fries the unit, or if you're lucky there's a fuse inside that blew (probably not though).

Edited by dfx