How do I add a souvenir to my cache page?

I dont see any indication that they will be linked to particular caches, but rather particular locations or zones. If I understand it, you will get a souvenir by finding a cache that is within a location or searching (checking in like gowalla or foursquare?) on a phone app. As to how they will be added to the game, as the discussion in the other thread has pointed out, we will have to learn more.

Edited by mulvaney

The souvenir description is just a collectible image and the example is that it is given from a specific cache (Lost & Found July 4th celebration).

It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to add an option to place a collectible image onto your cache.

That will never happen because someone would need to review and approve all the "souvenirs". No revision would lead to people putting up not suitable content or whatever else.

The souvenir description is just a collectible image and the example is that it is given from a specific cache (Lost & Found July 4th celebration).

It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to add an option to place a collectible image onto your cache.

From the examples given, a souvenir might be awarded if a zone was set up for a particular event (like the Lost and Found Celebration) or a particular location (Hollywood). But if a souvenir was linked to every cache, I would think it could become increasingly hard to work with. A souvenir page with 8000 souvenirs would not be that much fun or add something new to the game. So I assume it will be like some of the special badges or icons awarded in other location-based games for attending certain events or completing certain things. But again, at this point, it is still a matter of waiting and seeing.

So its just a gimmick and the average geocacher can't contribute to the development?

You can always hope, but that would become an administrative nightmare.

Other than that, I guess it will please an audience to collect these images. If there are these online applications making use of them, I don't see why geocaching.com shouldn't jump in the wagon. After all, there used to be virtual caches.

Only Groundspeak will be able to tell you if users will be authorized to contribute. Don't take my word for it.

So its just a gimmick and the average geocacher can't contribute to the development?

You can always hope, but that would become an administrative nightmare.

Other than that, I guess it will please an audience to collect these images. If there are these online applications making use of them, I don't see why geocaching.com shouldn't jump in the wagon. After all, there used to be virtual caches.

Only Groundspeak will be able to tell you if users will be authorized to contribute. Don't take my word for it.

They already approve Geocoins, don't they?

They seem hokey to me. What's the point.

They might be a better fit with Waymarking (to get people to visit waymarks)

In any case, one option would be a Waymarking categogy "Souvenirs". The category managers for that category could approve the images and then they could be rewarded to geocachers who find a nearby geocache or who "check-in" with their iPhone or droid app when near the Souvenir waymark.

Groundspeak could very well announce specifications for creating souvenirs and an approval process that would incorporate users. That would seem easier to develop and administer than something completely centralized. I suppose if I were to get into this aspect of the game, I would want to make a Fairfax souvenir for my home town.

Souvenirs could be creative. They could be a gimmick. They could help bridge the gap between caching and Waymarking. They could be all sorts of things. Who knows?

From the examples given, a souvenir might be awarded if a zone was set up for a particular event (like the Lost and Found Celebration) or a particular location (Hollywood). But if a souvenir was linked to every cache, I would think it could become increasingly hard to work with. A souvenir page with 8000 souvenirs would not be that much fun or add something new to the game. So I assume it will be like some of the special badges or icons awarded in other location-based games for attending certain events or completing certain things. But again, at this point, it is still a matter of waiting and seeing.

So how do I set up a souvenir zone for my cache?

So if you use one of the Groundspeak approved mobile applications you just have to visit an area and click a search button on your phone to get the souvenir.

If you use a dedicated GPS or a smartphone running one of the other apps, you actually have to find and log a cache to get the souvenir.

Is that right?

Not that I am that bothered by the souvenir idea itself, but if the above is correct then it does seem like the official app users have an easier way to collect.

So if you use one of the Groundspeak approved mobile applications you just have to visit an area and click a search button on your phone to get the souvenir.

If you use a dedicated GPS or a smartphone running one of the other apps, you actually have to find and log a cache to get the souvenir.

Is that right?

Not that I am that bothered by the souvenir idea itself, but if the above is correct then it does seem like the official app users have an easier way to collect.

From what I've seen in posts elsewhere, you are correct.

Also in other posts, the idea was to just kinda put it out there and stir up some drama over the mystery of the concept.

As far as I've seen there have been no details about this yet, but I can see local caching groups coming up with souvenirs for their areas. For instance, our Central Texas Group could do one for the Austin area so any cacher that came here and got a find would get an Austin image in the profile, much like buying a post card when you visit somewhere. I think it would be kind of fun to get "post cards" from various places I visit as a nice little surprise.

It's an interesting concept and could add another element to the game. Don't know that I agree with adding souvenirs to caches that already have unique icons like the HQ, 10 year events, and the APE caches; but I wouldn't mind seeing one for the original stash plaque.

Is that right?

Continuing with my rampant speculation about something I know nothing about, Groundspeak seems like they were trying to find a way to bridge the gap between the check-in models used in various mobile location-based games and the dedicated gpsr that was the basis for geocaching. As Jeremy said, the development of the apps made them aware of how powerful the network can be. So souvenirs appear like they are being set up to do both.

Last summer, I was somewhat apprehensive that we would see a major growth in caching icons -- so to that extent, souvenirs seem like a better way of giving people virtual rewards. The model seems to be popular. I don't know if I would make much of an effort to get a souvenir -- I don't do the check-in games much anymore. But if I found a cache and was awarded a souvenir, it might be at least a much fun to look at them as it is to look at the geocoin icons.

Edited by mulvaney

I don't know if I would make an effort to get a souvenir -- I don't do the check-in games much anymore. But it is always fun to speculate about things.

Yeah, I don't think I would go out of my way to get one (says the guy that makes special cache runs to get a new coin icon) but it would be a nice surprise. In fact, I think it would be cool if the images weren't even published in advance. Just have them show up if you happen to cache in the right area. Of course, if you see them on someone else's profile, you'll know about them, but I don't think I'd want a "shooting gallery" of souvenirs. Just surprise me.

I'd prefer to see a level playing field whereby everyone has to actually find and log a cache in the area. Not make it a 'passing through' task for those who9 happen to use a smartphone with the right app on it. What has pressing a button on a phone got to do with geocaching?

Don't know why I am so worried about it. In fact, am I ?

It just seems a bit 'them and us' on the face of it - a bit inequitable. You use a specific app so you just have to drive down the street on your way somewhere - I don't so I have to find a cache. Hmmm

But then finding a cache is more fun than just passing through so who has the most fun?

I shouldn't think out loud, sorry.

I'd prefer to see a level playing field whereby everyone has to actually find and log a cache in the area. Not make it a 'passing through' task for those who9 happen to use a smartphone with the right app on it. What has pressing a button on a phone got to do with geocaching?

It just seems a bit 'them and us' on the face of it - a bit inequitable. You use a specific app so you just have to drive down the street on your way somewhere - I don't so I have to find a cache. Hmmm

But then finding a cache is more fun than just passing through so who has the most fun?

Don't be sorry. At least 1 of us agrees with you.

It doesn't seem any less equitable then Wherigo caches, but at least in the case of a Wherigo, anyone with the proper equipment can not only find one, they can also create one.

The inequity that I see is more that souvenir zones appear to be created by Groundspeak, and thus if you don't happen to live anywhere near one of the zones they've created (I still don't know how to discover where they are) your chances of getting a souvenir are slim. On the other hand, if you live within reasonably close proximity of Groundspeak HQ it seems there are already several souvenirs.

Perhaps I misread things, but I was under the impression that using an iPhone/Android was just a method of discovering caches which could produce a souvenir, but one would still have to find the cache to get awarded the artwork in their profile.