gpx file on etrex venture HC?

yourname1

I know that I won't get the hints and all but is there a way to load a .gpx file on this unit>? There has to be a better way than to load a bunch of way points on at a time.

Download a pocket query to your computer. Open the zip file with a program like Mapsource or GSAK. Connect the GPS to the USB port on the computer and then send the info to the GPS.

Simple as pi.

When you do a pocket query, you get 2 files one is much smaller and has wpts in the name.? what is the difference between the 2? Does the smaller on have just the waypoint position? the other has the logs and notes?

The main GPX contains the geocaches, including their coordinates.

The smaller wpts file contains additional waypoints (e.g. for parking, stages of multi-cache, etc) only.

By the way, you can try this to get some additional information on your Venture HC in GSAK:

Waypoint Name : %smart=9%dif1a/%ter1a/%con1

Waypoint Description Format : %hint %name

It's not perfect, but it is better than nothing.

Edited by Chrysalides

Actually, you CAN load descriptions, hints, and logs on the Venture HC using a GSAK macro and Garmin's poi loader. It's not as pretty as the Dakota or Oregon, but it works! Go to GSAK.net and under macros, look for 60cxpoi. I think it's right on top. The owner of this macro no longer updates it, but he provides a link to another macro that works just as well.

Actually, you CAN load descriptions, hints, and logs on the Venture HC using a GSAK macro and Garmin's poi loader. It's not as pretty as the Dakota or Oregon, but it works! Go to GSAK.net and under macros, look for 60cxpoi. I think it's right on top. The owner of this macro no longer updates it, but he provides a link to another macro that works just as well.

The problem with that is that unless you edit the hints / description manually, you end up with multiple pages of POI per cache. A major pain. Back when I was using my Venture HC, I'd use either an old Palm PDA with CacheMate, or my Nuvi with the PilotSnipes macro.

After a year of that I broke down and bought a paperless capable unit.

Is the macros different than using the code in gsak.? I would guess the problem is the character limit of the venture?

Which macro? The POI macro stores a cache as multiple POIs on the Venture HC. Each POI can hold very few characters, so this could potentially be huge for chatty geocaches - one of the very few times when a short cache description is good. The Nuvi's POI holds a lot more information so that is not usually a problem.