whats your favorite find

zsdeng15014

My profile lists many of my favorite finds. There are many that can meet this definition, usually the result of the location rather than how tricky a cache might be:

One Giant Step (a virtual) took me to a 3000 foot overlook on the rim of the Grand Canyon, 60 miles from anywhere, with no others around, apart from those with me.

Bank of Colorado (a traditional) had me climb the peak above Machu Picchu. Stunning views. I almost slipped on a wet rock on the way down and was grateful for my hiking stick.

Avalanche on Wall Street (an earthcache) brought me into Bryce Canyon, among the amazing hoodoos. Earthcaches have brought me to many stunning locations, but this was special.

Rara Avis (a multicache) allowed me to follow the steps of Sam Spade through San Francisco. Do this one on a foggy night, wearing a fedora.

Inerstate Commerce (mystery) involved caches in California and North Carolina. I was the first person to complete the Commerce in both states so I suppose that it makes it my favorite find with this type of cache.

Sea of Cortez (Wherigo) was a fun find along Cannery Row in Monterey Bay. It helped show me the creative potential of these kind of hides, as did the Mikie MacLeod cache in New York's Central Park.

Mission 9 was my favorite APE cache. We did it when the tunnel was open. A whirlwind trip to this cache and the Original Stash, made with caching friends, that was an adventure in itself.

But its hard to pick out a favorite find. When I am standing on Sentinel Dome in Yosemite, that is a favorite. When I am taking an amazing hike, through the back country, with flowers in bloom, climbing up lava cliffs to the edge of an overlook on the Calistoga Palisades, where Long John Silver is to be found, that is my favorite. If I follow the trail of Jack the Ripper through an area in East London that I might not have otherwise visited, that is a favorite. I have different favorites all the time, which is what keeps me in the game. Some of the locationless were favorites in their time.

I will always remember Sibley Rock because my daughter found a container there on a school field trip and wanted to show it to me when we were hiking through the area.

Edited by mulvaney

I would have to go with GC1NP1N. This one was enjoyed by the whole family. The girls still talk about this one. It was tough and took a real team effort to solve. Below is the find log I submitted.

There are some days that you find that one cache that took all day but is well worth it. Today was one of those days. My wife and I had started "Journey" some time ago. I found the first leg but we ran out of time. Later I had the pleasure of meeting the Inkwells and we discussed the cache. Mrs. Inkwell informed me that I would have a tough squeeze in leg 3 and I would not fit into the final. My wife is claustrophobic so that ruled her out. The only way we could complete the "Journey" was with the help of our daughters, Emelie (12) and Kate (9). The Mad M's would have to roll to claim a find on this one. Emeilie, being 12, had no interest hanging out with here parents in a pile of rocks. Kate was equally dismissive of my plan. We bribed them with a canoe ride after we found the cache. So off to Bond Lake we went. At leg 2, we searched in many cracks and crevices to no avail. The GPS was a bit bouncy under the canopy of trees but not too bad. As we were widening our search, I grabbed Kate to help here down off a rock. As I set her down, she said "How about in there?". As soon as she pointed out the place, I knew she was right on. Sadly, I had walked past it TWICE but missed it both times. I gave Kate the flashlight and in she went. Seconds later I hear "I got it! North 43..." We recorded the findings and set off for leg 3. As we approached leg 3, the girls were busy searching all sorts of places despite the fact we were a good 75' away. I spotted an area that looked promising and the GPS agreed. I summoned the troops and quickly found leg 3A. Read the clue and sent in Emelie to get the coords. She couldn't find anything so Geodaughter Kate went in. Once again, little Kate was golden. With the coords in hand, we set off for the final. The last 300' were slow going. It seemed to take for ever to get there. By this time, both girls were ready for any cave, crack or crevice that needed exploration. The GPS bounced all over at GZ. We found a promising site and Emelie went in. I mistakenly told here we were looking for an ammo can. She couldn't make the find. We sent in Kate with the same result. As I was standing outside, I heard the girls banter from the depths. "We could put a bed over here and basket of food here and stay here all summer!" For two girls that had no use for this excursion, they were certainly having a great time. Since they couldn't make the find, we widened our search and looked elsewhere but the GPS kept returning us to this place. It was then I checked the cache description and figure out we were looking for a small rather than an ammo can.. With this new bit of information, Emelie was back in to give it another go. A short time later I heard "I got it!". Out pops Emeile, cache in hand. We signed the log. Both girls found something they wanted in the cache. We only had a few silly bands to trade, which is not a fair trade. They worked real hard on this and had a great time so I let them make the trade. We owe you some swag and will put it in the next Inkwell cache we find. (Most likely one in Lockport that we haven't gotten yet...) As Emelie returned the cache to its place, Kate followed her in to see where it was. When they returned, it was fist bumps all around for the Mad M's. Both girls were covered with dirt and filth but it didn't matter. The entire Mad M's team/family had an awesome time. It was well worth the 2 hours we spent looking for this. It certainly wasn't easy but it surely fun. Thank you Inkwells for this great cache. This is the best cache we have ever done. Thank you, thank you and thank you.

I don't have one favorite, but some of my tops are:

Hatto's Schatz -- on an island in the middle of the Rhein. Most folks take a boat to this one because of the pwoerful current, but I opted to swim.

enjoy the view -- up on a Swiss mountainside. The view was, in fact, magnificent.

The Nest of Jonathan Livingston Seagull - down and back up a narrow goat path on a cliff on the edge of Europe -- very harrowing but worth it!

Fort Apokalypse (Mandatory Suicide -- multi that took me through three German bunkers, formerly part of the Westwall/Sigfried Line defenses against the Allies in WWII.

Vaclavak / Wenceslas Square -- just another micro, except this one's hidden in full view of hundreds of muggles in downtoan Prague.