android X phone for geoing

tav

It was explained by Elias on the old Get Satisfaction site. I'll see if I can find the exact post when I get home. One thing is that it is streaming live data as you drive around and basically constantly hitting the site in the live mode. You are constantly putting stress on the servers. There was something else he said too, and I will need to find that.

As the GC app gets better I think you will stop using that anyway. The next update in testing is pretty neat and I think one new feature being added will be one that will be well received. Hopefully testing will go fast and the newest update will come live very soon.

Of course, using c:geo violates the Terms of Use for the site. I would suggest not using it. I use the GC.com app with my Droid X and love it. They are updating it pretty quickly right now. Looking forward to more new features very soon!

The official app has never worked all that well for me (droid X) but it was acceptable. The last update has resulted in a forced close for every feature. Basically it is a piece of trash. So I have been forced to use the app that shall not be named which I broke down and installed last week and it is wonderful. When the official starts to work without 100% failure I will try it again.

I know they have this desert wasteland they call feedback so we don't post complaints here but it is a lonely place.

Of course, using c:geo violates the Terms of Use for the site. I would suggest not using it.

I use C:geo with my HTC Evo. How does using C:geo violate the Terms of Use for the site? Where is that explained on geocaching.com? Just wondering?

It's not explained anywhere, which is something that I made a big stink about, which mtn-man can attest to, only to end up with a locked thread on the old get satisfaction site. :)

Threads like this are why Groundspeak needs to clearly name apps which violate the TOU somewhere so people can find it and/or refer to it. Otherwise, people will just find them in the app store and use them. I'm led to believe that Groundspeak doesn't really care if you use them or not.

For what it's worth, the latest version of the official app has gotten very mature, and at least for me, does everything I need it to for caching with just my phone. Plus, the LED on the Droid X is VERY bright, and I've found a number of caches in the woods at night using just the phone with a flashlight app running in the background.

Here you go. This was the topic regarding c:geo on Get Satisfaction.

http://getsatisfaction.com/geocaching/topi...o_and_geobeagle

c:geo breaks the terms of use. You are violating the Terms of Use for the site if you use it. Please stop using it. The app pulls data automatically from the site without permission from Groundspeak. You in turn are violating the Terms of Use for the site by using the application. The author has been asked to take the app down but refuses. Geobeagle is fine and is an acceptable app according to Groundspeak.

mtn-man is correct. Using an application like c:geo which accesses the geocaching.com website in the manner that it does violates our Terms of Use Agreement and Groundspeak does not authorize such activity.

It is true that c:geo uses the HTTP protocol on port 80, but that's as close to a web browser as it gets. c:geo queries the site in a manner very differently from a person sitting behind a web browser. It's also telling that the author of c:geo chose to add an option: "identify c:geo as a standard browser" so as to hide its identity from our servers.

Groundspeak provides a number of features and services to both basic and premium members for the purpose of Geocaching. Access to the Geocaching.com website via c:geo is not one of them.

This thread has degenerated to the point that it is no longer constructive. As a result, we are "archiving" it. According to Get Satisfaction, this won't lock the thread and prevent further posts, but it will remove it from the list of active topics.

It is a shame that some people intentionally don't respect Groundspeak's wishes.

Edited by mtn-man

It's a shame that so many people THAT DON'T WORK FOR Groundspeak take exception to c:Geo, but that Groundspeak itself doesn't really address it (except maybe for that one dated post in a thread that has been locked). Seems to me that if Groundspeak REALLY had an issue with it, they'd be vocal. The only people that seem to be whining about it don't work for Groundspeak and aren't in a position to know what effect, if any, the app has on it's servers.

BTW, I don't use c:Geo and don't even have an Android phone. I'm just tired of all the posts!

@OP, sorry for digressing on your thread . . .

its a shame gs can't develop an app that works.

It does work on the Droid X. Others use it, so it must be an issue with you and your phone. I would be happy to help you to solve your issues. Did you try removing it and then reinstalling it? Do you have the most current version?

It's a shame that so many people THAT DON'T WORK FOR Groundspeak take exception to c:Geo, but that Groundspeak itself doesn't really address it (except maybe for that one dated post in a thread that has been locked). Seems to me that if Groundspeak REALLY had an issue with it, they'd be vocal. The only people that seem to be whining about it don't work for Groundspeak and aren't in a position to know what effect, if any, the app has on it's servers.

BTW, I don't use c:Geo and don't even have an Android phone. I'm just tired of all the posts!

@OP, sorry for digressing on your thread . . .

Elias is one of the three founding partners (Jeremy, Bryan and Elias). I would consider his quoted text above as official as it gets. Frankly, I would rather him continue to work on site issues rather than sit on here and wait for people to complain about c:geo. Hundreds of thousands of other cachers probably agree.

To me, it is only a few people complaining about the Android app. If it was so disastrous, they would be flocking here don't you think?

I'm also using c;geo on my EVO, and love the app. I didn't know that there was any problem with using it. I think it's a crock that the app violates anything, we should be "allowed" to use whatever we want to use. I am a Premium member so now I find out that I could loose my membership because of some imaginary problem. Due to the fact that Groundspeak has not blocked this app from accessing the site or said anything else about using this app I'd say that the "O.K." has been implied. Nobody has even gone into any specificity about the problem with this app. I have had my EVO for about 5 or 6 weeks now, one of the first apps I searched for was a geocaching app, and was shocked when I saw the price of the GS app. Way to much money and I would have to buy for 2 phones for a mediocre rated app. I have a Garmin, but this app is a lot better than using a stand alone GPS as long as I'm in a good signal area. My Garmin is my backup now, not my primary GPS for geocaching. Ten dollars for the GS app is worth my membership so I will probably buy it and uninstall c;geo, it's probably just GS trying to make money and forcing people to buy there overpriced app instead of letting people use a better app than what they developed. :laughing: