Souvenirs: the mystery continues

I just read a couple of posts in the Getting Started forum about a couple of geocachers that discovered that they had been awarded a new souvenir. The thing is, the souvenir appears to be for Delaware State and one of the cachers has never been to Delaware. When they clicked on the icon to find out more they got the "You have entered an incorrect value in the querystring" error message.

Seems like there are still a few kinks in the system.

Edited to add...

On a hunch, as I'm sitting here in front of my computer in Ithaca, NY I fired up the Groundspeak app on my iPhone and not only was awarded the Delaware State souvenir but also one for Baden-Wurttemburg. Both show up on my iPhone but only the Delaware State one shows up in my profile. I've actually found a cache in Delaware, and I did the virtual in the Frankfurt airport (no idea how far that is from Baden-Wuurttemburg). The artwork for the one for Baden-Wurttemburg is really nice.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

I just read a couple of posts in the Getting Started forum about a couple of geocachers that discovered that they had been awarded a new souvenir. The thing is, the souvenir appears to be for Delaware State and one of the cachers has never been to Delaware. When they clicked on the icon to find out more they got the "You have entered an incorrect value in the querystring" error message.

Seems like there are still a few kinks in the system.

I just logged a cache I found today in Florida (I have only ever found caches in Florida) and got the Delaware souvenir as well. Whoops. Thank goodness there is an update tomorrow! :)

I just loaded up the iPhone app and was awarded Delaware and Baden-Wurttemburg. Woo-hoo!

The artwork for the Baden-Wurttemburg is really nice. However, I can only see if it (and the artwork for the Delaware State one) if I click on the images in the saved section in the iPhone geocaching app. Clicking on the images in my profile produces an error message.

My girlfriend was just logging a cache when she got the Delaware souvenir. We each have one find in Delaware, from quite some time ago. So not to be outdone, I whip out my Droid and do a search....when, what do you know, I too got the Delaware souvi, AND the Baden-Wurttemburg one! (We've definitely never cached in Baden-Wurttemburg -- unless the infamous "Four Windows" cache counts)

Edit: they don't appear in my profile.

Edited by ZeLonewolf

My girlfriend was just logging a cache when she got the Delaware souvenir. We each have one find in Delaware, from quite some time ago. So not to be outdone, I whip out my Droid and do a search....when, what do you know, I too got the Delaware souvi, AND the Baden-Wurttemburg one! (We've definitely never cached in Baden-Wurttemburg -- unless the infamous "Four Windows" cache counts)

same here but I have never cached outside the UK where have they come from. I gained them whist using the Groundspeak app on a HTC. Does that give any one more of a clue

same here but I have never cached outside the UK where have they come from. I gained them whist using the Groundspeak app on a HTC. Does that give any one more of a clue

There was a message earlier from one of the lackeys that there was a bug in the system which resulted in the awarding of the two souvenirs. He also claimed that it was fixed. It appears that logging a cache online could result in the awarding of the icons and the use of the official geocaching app awarded the souvenirs as well. Just after the notice that they discovered the bug the souvenirs disappeared from my profile. A subsequent search using the geocaching app brought them back. I suspect that it might be fixed when a cache is logged but as of late last night the mobile app would still produce the icons. So it doesn't appear the the bug was completely fixed when the lackey posted that it was. There are other issues such as the link to the full artwork not working from the profile page but can be seen through the mobile app.

This leads me to wonder if Groundspeak has a testing environment when things like this just show up on the production site. As a software developer for enterprise scale web applications I do all my development on one machine that sits on my desk (actually a laptop) working out of a source code repository. Once I've tested my code locally it's committed to the repository then checked out to a test instance of the server which contains a mostly complete copy of the production server. That allows others to review my changes before exposing it to the general public. Once it's been looked at by others the code is checked out from the repository onto the production machine. That way our end users hopefully don't see any bugs that might have been introduced when the site has changed.

As an aside, I see that a schedule maintenance is going to occur at 11:00AM or so today. I'm wondering if the maintenance is going to include updates related to the souvenir feature. I also wonder why GS doesn't post something somewhere *before* the maintenance is done to give us an idea about what we might expect. I know there are some that are not interested in souvenirs at all, to the point that they'd rather not even see the souvenir tab in their profile. A pre-maintenance announcement would allow those to put something in place to hide that tab (someone else posted a single line that could be added using Adblock Plus that'll that). GS seems to like to surprise us with new features, but as history has shown some of those surprises are like getting surprised that one isn't going to get back as much from a tax refund as expected.

I heard from several cachers in Germany, who logged a cache, that they've been awarded Delaware and Baden Württemberg, (which also contains a spelling error, it's -berg not -burg).

They haven't been in either state, I might add. One logged a cache in Hamburg, one in Mecklenburg Vorpommern and one in Bavaria.

I just hope, the update will clear this matter.

I picked them both up this morning when logging a cache found in Alabama. Since I could see no obvious connection, I came to the forums to learn about souvenirs in general. Mine was strictly an online log since I have no apps on my phone.

I suspect I'll lose them with today's maintenance. :)

Delaware and Baden-Württemburg (sic) no longer appear in my souvenir tab on the web.

On my iPhone, I am seeing 10/10/10, Delaware and Baden-Württemburg. DE and B-W seem to have been deleted from one place (web) but not the other (phone).

The only souvenirs I've ever been able to see on my iPhone have been the ones that were activated by turning on the geocaching app - 10/10/10 and DE / B-W. I've never seen the other souvenirs on my iPhone, the ones that I received retroactively (Lost & Found, HQ, APE, GW8). Those do appear on the web though.

Delaware and Baden-Württemburg (sic) no longer appear in my souvenir tab on the web.

On my iPhone, I am seeing 10/10/10, Delaware and Baden-Württemburg. DE and B-W seem to have been deleted from one place (web) but not the other (phone).

I'm don't know the details on how the iPhone app works but I suspect that the icons/artwork are pulled from the server and now live on your phone in the "Saved" area. I doubt that they could be deleted without a sync of the application.

The Delaware and B-W souvenirs went away in my profile for awhile last night but I got them back when I did another search using the iPhone app.

The only souvenirs I've ever been able to see on my iPhone have been the ones that were activated by turning on the geocaching app - 10/10/10 and DE / B-W. I've never seen the other souvenirs on my iPhone, the ones that I received retroactively (Lost & Found, HQ, APE, GW8). Those do appear on the web though.

I wasn't aware that the retroactive souvenirs didn't appear in the mobile apps. Seem like that's a problem as well.

Someone else mentioned a thread having the "most" souvenirs (I'm guessing in his area). As far as I can tell, Moun10Bike seems to have more than any I've seen, including one called "Marination". There is very little information on the souvenir page about it so I'm guessing it's some sort of test souvenir.

One of the features that I think would be interesting on the web version of the souvenir page would be somethings like:

"129 other Geocachers have found this souvenir." Seems like something that would be really easy to add and could provide information about the relative rarity of some of the souvenirs awarded.