E.T. Trail Fun / Educational Stories

quote name='gpsblake' post='4532692' date='Nov 15 2010, 10:23 AM']

The problem as I see it aren't the caches, but the threads of people beating their chest claiming to set a new world record. Just get rid of any WORLD RECORD thread and this problem is solved. The only reason for someone posting a WORLD RECORD is to draw attention to themselves.

People who want to do a 1,000 in a day still can, and have a ton of fun.

Hey....it's the forums ! :angry: We are supposed to discuss things, and ask questions.

I for one LOVE to see all the records that geocachers make up and achieve.

So keep posting them. :P

I'm not interested at all in the rest of the gobble-de-gook. :mad:

Same here. Keep those adventure stories coming.

We love SAGEbrush country. Have been to the Mojave desert many times but not to the ET area yet. Hope to get there one day and find at least three caches along the power trails. That would be great - just enough to get the idea. It's only 1600 miles (one-way) from our home. Shouldn't be a problem.

I've flown over the area a few times. Looked lovely.

Not sure if I'll ever chase a buttload of film cans there, but I would like to do a roadtrip someday.

Maybe I'll plan a trip to do the alien head?

I flew over Mongolia on the way to Beijing. From the air, it looked quite a bit like the Nevada desert only it's a lot bigger (19th largest country) and there are only 37 caches in the entire country.

The ET Trail? Where else can you drive by famous abduction sites, see the black mailbox that is not black, talk to the owner of the Inn about aliens and geocachers she has seen, check out the site of the famous Colonel that was able to be seen from outer space, look across the hills towards Area 51, see determined cows who want to block the road, and find as many caches as you might want to do?

My noncaching spouse amused herself for awhile by timing how long it took me to make the find, sign the log, and get back to the car. Then she would ask what was next. Noncaching spouses don't always see the point of stopping every 5-600 feet or so. Repetitive caching is repetitious. So after enough to get a personal number, we went on the the Inn and swung by to see some of the truly amazing sights. She asked how I could stand to pass by so many that were visible along side the road. Maybe someday I will return for some of the rest, but it would have to be with a group of cachers who like each other.

Doing it on a bike might be interesting.

You can take time to visit the UFO research center (but it was closed when we were there). You can amuse yourself along the way by listening to old coast to coast am shows or Project Camelot podcasts about Bob Lazar, John Lear, Jordan Maxwell and the rest. Just don't get too far off the road if you are caching the trail at night. Its probably not the aliens that are of interest there, but our own black ops hidden budget reverse technology that is said to be 50-100 years in advance of anything we are told about. There are also those with experience in dealing with the Anunnaki or reptillians who will tell you that if you see strange lights approaching . . . run. Its not like Close Encounters. Think about the surgical cattle mutilations or the implants that Dr. Roger Leir has removed from people claiming abduction experiences. And whatever you do, don't mess with the Men in Black or the Area 51 security ("Camo Dudes"), who are probably glad that your eyes are toward the ground looking for the film cans.

When you get tired of collecting film cans you can swing on over to the Valley of Fire for several earthcaches, all of which have the "WOW factor," especially if you like red rock, petroglyphs, or following dirt roads into the desert. Don't come all the way out there and miss this part of the world.

You can find other caches relatively nearby where you can still see the Old Spanish Trail. A different end of the spectrum than ETs.

And as long as you are in the area, you can figure out how to go to Toroweap for a once in a lifetime type of experience at the One Giant Step virtual, a 3000 foot drop into the Grand Canyon, 60 miles from nowhere. Its a harder logistical challenge than the ET trail (especially if you don't have the right type of vehicle) so we did it the easy but more expensive way (Pink Jeep) and had the place to ourselves. I can't remember ET 62 from ET 93, but Toroweap will never be forgotten.

We came to Nevada to watch Phil Taylor and professional darts. Sadly, that is no more so I can't recommend it as part of the fun. But there is a rather funky looking UFO conference in Alamo over Memorial Day that will take you out to see what you can see. Night vision goggles might help. I suggested to my NCS that she could go to that and I could pick up a few more along the trail, but so far the idea has not taken hold.

And if you return through Vegas, check out Viva Mercados for a great meal; the old Pioneer Saloon in Goodsprings for a cheap beer, a cache, and historical stuff; and don't forget the drive up Wedding Chapel cache.

My wife finally lost her patience with me when I sat down upon my return to log the caches online. I never cut and paste anything or use initials, so it took me longer to write the logs than it did on the Trail.

Edited by mulvaney

November 15 by whtwolfden (4929 found)

Just an advanced warning to those of you planning to come out to the E.T. Highway in the next few months...

IT SNOWS THERE IN THE WINTER!

If you are going to risk it, bring warm clothing and gloves.Extra blankets in your vehicle in case of an emergency would also be a good idea.

I've attached a picture of the area we took January 2010.

The temperature reading at that time was 0 degrees Fahrenheit without wind chill factored in.

For those of you daring enough, good luck and have fun. But more importantly, BE CAREFUL!

And please, please, please...

Do not park your vehicles on the roadway. In icy conditions this could be fatal!

4WD and tire chains would be a great idea during the snowy months to aid in pulling off of the highway.

October 16 by humboldt flier (3618 found)

Dear Cache, **AN IMPORTANT NOTE FROM TEAM ACV** Team ACV consisting of Dinda, Marvin, Saphire, Emerald and Humboldt Flier are in the area to investigate various alien landing sites in the region. Yesterday our research team, ACV ( named after a northwestern California airport which in the day had been an experimental landing aids facility ), was greeted with a cobalt blue sky, scattered mid level clouds, light and variable breezes, however, throughout the late afternoon clouds increased and it seemed that there would be rain before our journey on 10/15/10 concluded. Yesterday's journey found us working the trail from the middle 400's to the middle 600's. Around 2300 hours, our team was returning to Rachel after a food and provision run into Alamo. We were aware that cattle had been on the move and our vigilance was heightened especially after our earlier somber visit to Michael David Adams' Memorial Cache between E.T. caches # 591 and 592. Mid-way up the eastern slopes of Coyote Summit numerous cattle had observed and our speed had been adjusted. THEN: I had just glanced down at the speedometer / instrument cluster and looked up !!!@@**!!! Immediately and instinctively I clamped the binders up tight and brought the cache mobile to WITHIN INCHES OF A BOVINE HOOD ORNAMENT !!!!!!!!!! Filled my pants, the seats and floor boards with a lot of soft, brown, goo. BE CAUTIOUS OUT THERE FOLKS ... I saw a log where someone indicated a reverse run for food and fuel at 80 miles per hour. We live and travel in areas where critters such as deer, elk, bear and cattle freely range so our awareness is acute, the visit to Mike's Memorial heightened our awareness, BUT WE CAME VERY CLOSE TO BUYING THE FARM -

Edited by humboldt flier

The ET Trail never heard of it????

SS

I've heard of the ET Highway, but I didn't know it was populated with closely-spaced roadside micros! You don't say. :angry:

Humboldt Flier, dude, could you start a thread without broken quotes? :mad:

You really seem to be, as has been implied in the other thread, "censoring" opinions about logging methods and such, most notably leapfrogging, or whatever the word of the day is for that one. But I'll leave you alone, and won't post to this thread any more.

I do want to leave you with an observation though. And unless it induces several responses, I'm outta here. I believe the sub-set of Geocachers who want to run the ET trail is extremely small in the grand scheme of things. When you consider the tons of "casual Geocachers", and those who think the whole thing is silly (like many in the other thead). Basically, I'm saying a small sub-set of mainly numbers oriented Geocachers, almost all (if not all) of whom are premium members. Not to say there isn't an even smaller sub-set of cachers who truely don't care about the greatly increased find count of a run, who just want to check something out that wasn't allowed for years until very recently. That being said, I don't think you'll get too many thread posts (as opposed to you posting people's logs here) with glowing recommendations.

I've flown over the area a few times. Looked lovely.

Not sure if I'll ever chase a buttload of film cans there, but I would like to do a roadtrip someday.

Maybe I'll plan a trip to do the alien head?

You could easily spend a day caching/exploring and not grab one single film can. There are plenty of caches along US 93 out of Vegas up to the ET Hwy, along with about fifteen regular caches on the ET. Double back to 93 north up through Caliente into Cathedral Gorge State Park and you will not be disappointed. Pitch a tent and enjoy. Firewood is on the honor system. $2 an arm load. Wake up early and do the 4 mile Juniper Trail, then pack up and head on over to Valley of Fire. There is plenty to see and do out there that has nothing to do with shifting film cans.

My heartfelt thanks to you and your team for the beautiful message you logged at Mike’s Memorial Cache last month and for leaving stones at the marker. I am always touched when other people share that they have a Michael David and know that their son, family member or friend is just as wonderful a person.

Judi

Mike's Mom

How wonderful.

It really upsets me when I see cachers pasting their generic ET log to this cache. This is a very special cache for me. After reading the details, later that night I was on an adjacent hwy, doing 45 in a 70, (because of this cache), when a giant cow walked right out in front of me. I was able to stop. At 70, (speed limit), There would be a Don's Memorial Cache out there in the desert.

The ET Trail? Where else can you drive by famous abduction sites, see the black mailbox that is not black, talk to the owner of the Inn about aliens and geocachers she has seen, check out the site of the famous Colonel that was able to be seen from outer space, look across the hills towards Area 51, see determined cows who want to block the road, and find as many caches as you might want to do?

My noncaching spouse amused herself for awhile by timing how long it took me to make the find, sign the log, and get back to the car. Then she would ask what was next. Noncaching spouses don't always see the point of stopping every 5-600 feet or so. Repetitive caching is repetitious. So after enough to get a personal number, we went on the the Inn and swung by to see some of the truly amazing sights. She asked how I could stand to pass by so many that were visible along side the road. Maybe someday I will return for some of the rest, but it would have to be with a group of cachers who like each other.

Doing it on a bike might be interesting.

You can take time to visit the UFO research center (but it was closed when we were there). You can amuse yourself along the way by listening to old coast to coast am shows or Project Camelot podcasts about Bob Lazar, John Lear, Jordan Maxwell and the rest. Just don't get too far off the road if you are caching the trail at night. Its probably not the aliens that are of interest there, but our own black ops hidden budget reverse technology that is said to be 50-100 years in advance of anything we are told about. There are also those with experience in dealing with the Anunnaki or reptillians who will tell you that if you see strange lights approaching . . . run. Its not like Close Encounters. Think about the surgical cattle mutilations or the implants that Dr. Roger Leir has removed from people claiming abduction experiences. And whatever you do, don't mess with the Men in Black or the Area 51 security ("Camo Dudes"), who are probably glad that your eyes are toward the ground looking for the film cans.

When you get tired of collecting film cans you can swing on over to the Valley of Fire for several earthcaches, all of which have the "WOW factor," especially if you like red rock, petroglyphs, or following dirt roads into the desert. Don't come all the way out there and miss this part of the world.

You can find other caches relatively nearby where you can still see the Old Spanish Trail. A different end of the spectrum than ETs.

And as long as you are in the area, you can figure out how to go to Toroweap for a once in a lifetime type of experience at the One Giant Step virtual, a 3000 foot drop into the Grand Canyon, 60 miles from nowhere. Its a harder logistical challenge than the ET trail (especially if you don't have the right type of vehicle) so we did it the easy but more expensive way (Pink Jeep) and had the place to ourselves. I can't remember ET 62 from ET 93, but Toroweap will never be forgotten.

We came to Nevada to watch Phil Taylor and professional darts. Sadly, that is no more so I can't recommend it as part of the fun. But there is a rather funky looking UFO conference in Alamo over Memorial Day that will take you out to see what you can see. Night vision goggles might help. I suggested to my NCS that she could go to that and I could pick up a few more along the trail, but so far the idea has not taken hold.

And if you return through Vegas, check out Viva Mercados for a great meal; the old Pioneer Saloon in Goodsprings for a cheap beer, a cache, and historical stuff; and don't forget the drive up Wedding Chapel cache.

My wife finally lost her patience with me when I sat down upon my return to log the caches online. I never cut and paste anything or use initials, so it took me longer to write the logs than it did on the Trail.

That all sounds like a lot of fun. Except for the part about logging hundreds of identical film-can caches.

That all sounds like a lot of fun. Except for the part about logging hundreds of identical film-can caches.

That is probably why I did not do "hundreds" of repetitions. With limited time in the area - and it appearing that professional darts was pulling out of Vegas after this year, making it unlikely that we would return next July - we had to choose our priorities. For me, the choice was easy, and I did what I set out to do, although I am sorry we did not visit Mike's Memorial Cache.

I do not like the term "power trail" because I don't equate repetition with power -- the true power trails I have experienced have been long hikes for a handful of caches. Still, I can appreciate the work it took to establish the series and see why people would consider it a challenge. I can see why a certain group dynamic would emerge. I can imagine returning with a group, although not as a 24 hour marathon. But if I were making a single trip to the area, my priorities would still be to combine ET with the Valley of Fire, the Old Spanish Trail, a letterbox hybrid, and a great dinner back in town with a virtual to spare.

Edited by mulvaney