New Armchair Logger

Tequila

Too slow to be a bot

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=74...46-43a885f72c48

I love how he back dated his Groundspeak HQ log to Oct 19 so it wouldn't stand out. LOL

Could be a bot with a delay function to avoid bot detection.

Really? People go through that much trouble? Yeesh!

Its no trouble when its software.

I see that it managed to log The Original Stash Plaque (on a quick flight out of Germany)

So, what is the real deal here. I think I am slightly out of sync with this persons actions. Am I correct to understand that the actions taken by this person is less than legit? If this is the case, why does it sound as if a couple replies here seem as if this is just some passable thing that has happened? Is this not more like something that needs to be corrected in a big way? Corrected by removing the entries or some similar action.

So, what is the real deal here. I think I am slightly out of sync with this persons actions. Am I correct to understand that the actions taken by this person is less than legit? If this is the case, why does it sound as if a couple replies here seem as if this is just some passable thing that has happened? Is this not more like something that needs to be corrected in a big way? Corrected by removing the entries or some similar action.
Not much we can do unless the 'bot logs some of our own caches. Groundspeak will lock the account, then lock the next account, and the account created after the one created after the next one. In the past, though, they have left it up to the cache owners to remove bogus logs (or not).

Humdrum, routine! I just spent the last 4 months recovering from my second foot operation to recover from a paragliding accident, I have not been to a single cache and as soon as I am able I plan getting the geocoins that I have been holding where they belong finally. To think that this clown is trying do what he is doing only makes my efforts worth a thousand times what someone like him thinks they have achieved. I would do almost anything to be in the front row of some sort of international event where those caught making false cache claims would have make individual one on one retraction/appologies to each cache owner they stole from, and u deer a world broadcast audience. The video of the event would make a great loop screen saver or some other repeating display for everyone to enjoys until the next seasons broadcast.

Humdrum, routine! I just spent the last 4 months recovering from my second foot operation to recover from a paragliding accident, I have not been to a single cache and as soon as I am able I plan getting the geocoins that I have been holding where they belong finally. To think that this clown is trying do what he is doing only makes my efforts worth a thousand times what someone like him thinks they have achieved. I would do almost anything to be in the front row of some sort of international event where those caught making false cache claims would have make individual one on one retraction/appologies to each cache owner they stole from, and u deer a world broadcast audience. The video of the event would make a great loop screen saver or some other repeating display for everyone to enjoys until the next seasons broadcast.

Since we as ordinary cachers can't do much about preventing this from happening, folks post about it here when they notice them.

1. It helps the powers that be to be aware of the account that is logging the bogus finds, so they can take action.

2. We all get to poke fun at the guy. :angry: If we were at an event with him, we would all be standing together over by the bar, pointing at the guy and snickering.

<snicker!>

Logged an event today (Nov 19) that was held on Sept 26. Must have been a lonely event. But hey, at least he thanked them for the cache (TFTC).

Hmmm.... this is interesting, though... he did log this event on the day of the event (Nov 6), and even posted that it was his 200th (200!!!) Of course, he only has 194 "finds" currently, so his count was a bit off.

A question....

if Groundspeak deletes the account, will that action also delete all the bogus logs? (Would save the cache owners a lot of time and aggravation.)

No. Not at the present time. For one thing, they don't delete accounts... they lock them (or did that terminology change recently?) The ability for Groundspeak to mass delete logs in the case of a known bot has been requested.
A question....

if Groundspeak deletes the account, will that action also delete all the bogus logs? (Would save the cache owners a lot of time and aggravation.)

No. Not at the present time. For one thing, they don't delete accounts... they lock them (or did that terminology change recently?) The ability for Groundspeak to mass delete logs in the case of a known bot has been requested.

Yes, that's what I mean. That "locking" an account is somewhat anticlimatic for these obviously bogus accounts.

Outright deleting them would be a more forceful solution.

But, like you said, they would just keep creating more accounts....so I guess whatever action Groundspeak takes is kinda futile.

I always assumed that Groundspeak could do mass deletions of logs of these phantoms.

I always assumed that Groundspeak could do mass deletions of logs of these phantoms.

The difference between "Can do" and "Have done" is key here. Surely they can. Whether or not they will decided to take that action in the future is something that I don't think they have spoken publically about. Edited by knowschad

The difference between "Can do" and "Have done" is key here. Surely they can. Whether or not they will decided to take that action in the future is something that I don't think they have spoken publically about.

I have a vague recollection that they did that for Oculus Prime a couple of years ago.

<snicker!>

Logged an event today (Nov 19) that was held on Sept 26. Must have been a lonely event. But hey, at least he thanked them for the cache (TFTC).

Hmmm.... this is interesting, though... he did log this event on the day of the event (Nov 6), and even posted that it was his 200th (200!!!) Of course, he only has 194 "finds" currently, so his count was a bit off.

Now, that sounds like a fun event.

Meanwhile, in a galaxy far, far away, on the little island of Iona...

some logging by proxy.

(The following on logs are quite amusing too... I suspect they'll be deleted by the loggers soon :angry: )

MrsB :grin:

Personally I don't see any difference here than a team where one member travels and logs caches while the others stay at home or go caching elsewhere. The cache was visited by a person without a Geoaching.com account but they still wanted to share their experience online. Now other cachers will know the cache is still there to be found.

It seems the reviewer has now archived this as an abandoned cache. First time I've seen this for a physical cache that appears to be in good condition and findable. I understand there are other issues that can result in the archiving an abandon cache. The archive note indicates the owner may have provided false information about promising to archive the cache when they left the island. I sure hope that the reviewer didn't find it necessary to archive this cache now just because of their personal objection to a geoacher logging the find on behalf of a non-geocacher. Looks like recent visitor enjoyed finding this cache as did the non-geocaching friend who found it.