Garmin Oregon 450 Screen Icons

swope2bc

Hello everyone, I am sure this has been asked somewhere before, but I cannot see, to find it so... I would like to have my hides loaded onto my 450 but when I do they show up as ordinary caches that I have not found. Is there a way to load them with a distinctive icon? (such as the star on geocaching.com)

Thanks for your help!!

Hello everyone, I am sure this has been asked somewhere before, but I cannot see, to find it so... I would like to have my hides loaded onto my 450 but when I do they show up as ordinary caches that I have not found. Is there a way to load them with a distinctive icon? (such as the star on geocaching.com)

Thanks for your help!!

One good way to do this is to load them as Points of Interest instead of caches, and assign your preferred icon to those. What tool are you using to load things to your 450?

Thanks for your help!!

One good way to do this is to load them as Points of Interest instead of caches, and assign your preferred icon to those. What tool are you using to load things to your 450?

I usually just d/l PQ's and unzip them right onto the GPSr... I used to use GSAK before I got my 450 but now it seems to just take up unnecessary time..

I usually just d/l PQ's and unzip them right onto the GPSr... I used to use GSAK before I got my 450 but now it seems to just take up unnecessary time..

Actually, there are some great things you can do with GSAK, even with a 450 if you spend some time with the "Name" field. That aside...

Load the *.gpx of your hides into MapSource, change the icons for your whole list (you can select all of them at once for the change and pick anything from the rather substantial icon list), and send the results to your 450. All of your owned caches will now show up with the icon you chose, and won't be seen in screens like "Geocaches > Find .." If you need to go to one, use the "Where To? > Waypoints" instead.

Actually, there are some great things you can do with GSAK, even with a 450 if you spend some time with the "Name" field. That aside...

Load the *.gpx of your hides into MapSource, change the icons for your whole list (you can select all of them at once for the change and pick anything from the rather substantial icon list), and send the results to your 450. All of your owned caches will now show up with the icon you chose, and won't be seen in screens like "Geocaches > Find .." If you need to go to one, use the "Where To? > Waypoints" instead.

Seems simple enough. Thank you very much.

If anyone is still checking on this one I have tried the recommended changes with map source and the icons are changed but none of the gpx cache data goes with it... How can I change the icon on my 450 and still keep the cache data?
The Oregon won't support multiple icons for a geocache type. I did not understand that you were trying to keep all of your own cache data for your own caches... I thought you were wanting them on your 450 so that you could navigate to them, not find/review them, hence my recommendation to save them as suggested. The idea is to segregate them from other "unfound" caches on your Oregon so they don't show up in the list when you do the "Find" on a list of caches, but still be able to see them on a map and go to them, right? If not, I'm confused now.

What "cache data" do you need to keep for your own caches? Some of that could be added as commentary to each POI, but ...

Edited by ecanderson

one way to do what you want would be to change the cache type of your owned caches to something you don't normally use or look for, let's say CITO event. then you could put your own custom icon for CITO caches on the oregon and through that, your owned caches will get their own icon. real CITO events could be changed to a regular event cache so they still show up if you're interested in them.

personally i don't care for the icon and load owned caches as "found" on the oregon. that way they don't show up in the "find a geocache" list, but i still get their info. not with their own icon though...

Edited by dfx
If anyone is still checking on this one I have tried the recommended changes with map source and the icons are changed but none of the gpx cache data goes with it... How can I change the icon on my 450 and still keep the cache data?
The Oregon won't support multiple icons for a geocache type. I did not understand that you were trying to keep all of your own cache data for your own caches... I thought you were wanting them on your 450 so that you could navigate to them, not find/review them, hence my recommendation to save them as suggested. The idea is to segregate them from other "unfound" caches on your Oregon so they don't show up in the list when you do the "Find" on a list of caches, but still be able to see them on a map and go to them, right? If not, I'm confused now.

What "cache data" do you need to keep for your own caches? Some of that could be added as commentary to each POI, but ...

You understand perfectly. The idea is that I have many people visit me who I like to teach about geocaching. This is one reason I like to keep my hides in the unit. That way I can hand over the GPSr and let them read and search...

one way to do what you want would be to change the cache type of your owned caches to something you don't normally use or look for, let's say CITO event. then you could put your own custom icon for CITO caches on the oregon and through that, your owned caches will get their own icon. real CITO events could be changed to a regular event cache so they still show up if you're interested in them.

personally i don't care for the icon and load owned caches as "found" on the oregon. that way they don't show up in the "find a geocache" list, but i still get their info. not with their own icon though...

How do I load them even as found then? Or for that matter as the CITO event icon? Without changing them on geocaching.com

How do I load them even as found then? Or for that matter as the CITO event icon? Without changing them on geocaching.com

by running them through a 3rd party application such as GSAK, or by writing your own scripts to do that (is what i do).

My owns scipts... ha thats way over my head... As for Gsak is it the only way? Map source will not do it?