Smilies not appearing on map

Greymalkin

This has been happening for the past few weeks and it's starting to really bug me. I go to a geocaching map of an area where I have some finds and some I still want to search for. My finds are displayed as smileys and any caches on my ignore list don't appear. Everything's great, I can see the route I want to take and I start mapping it out. Then I decide to drag or refesh the map and suddenly my finds are green boxes and stuff I'm ignoring is cluttering up the view. The only way to fix it seems to be to close and reopen the window -- but then a little bit later it happens again. It's the same thing with two different browsers, so that's not the issue.

I did a search on +smilies +displaying and couldn't find any explanation of why this might be occurring and (more importantly) how to make it stop. Anybody know?

This has been happening for the past few weeks and it's starting to really bug me. I go to a geocaching map of an area where I have some finds and some I still want to search for. My finds are displayed as smileys and any caches on my ignore list don't appear. Everything's great, I can see the route I want to take and I start mapping it out. Then I decide to drag or refesh the map and suddenly my finds are green boxes and stuff I'm ignoring is cluttering up the view. The only way to fix it seems to be to close and reopen the window -- but then a little bit later it happens again. It's the same thing with two different browsers, so that's not the issue.

I did a search on +smilies +displaying and couldn't find any explanation of why this might be occurring and (more importantly) how to make it stop. Anybody know?

I noticed the same thing last night while logging my finds from the day. Running Vista and the latest version of Firefox.

As an easy work-around - why not use Pocket Queries and then just drag the resulting file to Google Earth??

A good idea, but it really only treats the symptom, not the underlying problem. I'd half-hoped it was just me, but it's happening to other people as well. It's rather distressing to me that one of the basic, core functions of the site is malfunctioning.

I am having the same problem. When I leave the google map page open for a while (twenty minutes or so?), it loses all my settings and all my finds (smileys) are reset to green (unfound) boxes. I have to reload the page and then re-navigate to the location I was working on. Has anyone found a solution to this rather annoying problem?? Thanks...

I've had this problem happen right after I opened the map.

Suddenly I have no finds according to the map.

The other thing that happens is I'll be using the map and then suddenly it thinks I'm not a premium member and all the premium member caches will disappear. They reappear when I refresh so I don't take it personal. :rolleyes:

This has been going on for a while and is only getting worse.

I reported it as you're supposed to do, and I got a response that they're working on it.

She seemed to think it was just because I leave my maps open for a while, but now it's happening right after I open the maps.

Using pocket queries every time I want to check out what caches are available is not a solution. I may want to go grab just one cache in my area. A quick look at the map is vastly preferable to running a pocket query for one cache.

OK, I checked out the pages where you are supposed to report problems and just found one request for this being fixed, and that was "declined".

The request I made a while ago to get this fixed has been totally deleted after they emailed with me.

They just suggested at the time that I refresh the map, but now it's happening to me when my map is new.

I suggest others add their requests to the request page so they know how big of a problem this is.

When I did it a while ago, they thought it was limited to certain operating systems, or people who leave the map open for a long time, but now it is clear that is not the case.

Best to report this to the people who can help.

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com

OK, I emailed the woman who had dealt with my request to fix this. She just replied.

She said they are not willing to put time into fixing the old maps because the new beta maps will be ready soon.

I've been dealing with this problem a few months myself. I don't know how much longer the new beta maps will take.

It looks like all we can do is request it gets fixed, but realize we may have to wait for the new maps (which for me at this point are never showing my found caches).