Oregon 200 Compass won't navigate to waypoints other than preloaded caches.

jlcslc2053

Hi all. I have an Oregon 200. When doing multi caches I often key in coordinates from one cache to find the next one. The map feature accepts the new waypoint and plots it on the map, but the compass will not. The compass always shows the last geocache I seached for and that information stays in the compass until I select a new geocache. There seems to be no way to clear this information.

So, basically anytime I "hand enter" coordinates or even select something of the "Where to" menu, the compass won't recognize it, but the map will. I find this very frustrating when doing multi caches. So, why is it that my compass will only accept/recognize geocaches and not other waypoints or GPS coordinates I enter in the Oregon 200.

Anyone have any idea of what I'm talking about, and if so, can you help!??!

Thanks!

sounds like you're using the "geocaching" dashboard. the little compass it shows always points to the nearest cache if you're not navigating to one, which makes this dashboard largely useless.

one possible "solution" would be to upgrade your firmware so you get the new multi-caching support. while that won't fix the underlying issue, using that you would at least be able to do the simpler multis.

other than that: don't use the geocaching dashboard. either don't use it at all, or set up a seperate profile for "waypoint navigation" with the screens configured without the dashboard. i think setting the screens to the "small data fields" dashboard and configuring one of the fields to "pointer" is a good alternative.

personally i don't use the geocaching dashboard at all and also don't have a "pointer" shown. i just switch to the compass screen when i need the compass, which will always work as expected.

Edited by dfx