My reverse geocache

pannen

Hi,

I just finished building my first reverse geocache that I mentioned in this forum before.

It shall be passed on from person to person so I build it as tough as possible.

I used an LED display at first, but that seemed a bit boring, so I used nixie display tubes with a custom built controller.

20sxe35.jpg

It's also trackable and there's a description on it's page : http://www.coord.info/TB3W7NC

The tracking code is stamped to the bottom of the case.

It's the distance in km (I'm in Germany). The tubes can display a decimal point, so when the distance is below 100km the precision is 100 meters and below 10km it's 10 meters. Precise enough to triangulate the target when you press the button at a few places that are far enough apart.

I would put on the page of the unit what the distance is being measured in just so it's clear. Here in the US I would like see that saying 400 and think 400 feet instead of 400 miles for example.

ETA: Nevermind saw your PS response. Since it's designed to be like that disregard. lol

Edited by Chokecherry

Ok, it works like this: I'm programming it with the coordinates of a nice place to visit and I'll put a present for a friend in it. I'll give it to the friend on his birthday in two weeks.

He'll wonder what that is and why it doesn't open. Then he'll press the button and it will display a number like 124. Because he's pretty bright and there's a gps antenna on it he'll try it elsewhere and it'll display another number (like 157). He'll figure out that this is a distance and with some measurements and a map he can trangulate the target. He'll drive there and can circle the target until he's within 250 meters distance. Then the box opens when he presses the button.

He'll find his present inside and the instructions for entering new coordinates via usb. Now he'll reprogram it with coordinates that he wants somebody to go to and pass the box with a new present inside to that person. And on and on.

Because the box is moving it can't be a geocache according to groundspeaks guidelines. That's why it's just a trackable.

The electronics draw 500mA with the tubes on but I'm just switching them on for 8 seconds per fix and the battery has 6000 mAh so it should be enough to find the target even if you need a lot of fixes.

I just have a unreadable paper with my drawn schematics, but there are plenty of schematics for nixie tube clocks on the net. The hardest part is getting 180V for them, the rest is just transistors or a special driver ic for the 10 kathode pins of the tube. I also used a 4 bit binary counter for every tube because I ran out of output pins on the arduino atmel board I used.

Wow!! Seriously cool! Looks like an amazingly professional job of construction... but it obviously cost you quite a bit to put it together.

How does it get passed from cacher to cacher, and what is the point of programming new coordinates? I guess I still don't understand the full concept.

I could see something like this being carried to geo-events and gatherings and passed on to the next cacher there. Just imagine the fun if you could program the coordinates where it would open and then hand it off to Bitsen to figure out. Then he could bring it to the next event with new coordinates and hand it off to Pinehurst, and so on and so on (substituting your area's locals instead of names I recognize from here).

It takes up to 90 seconds to get a good fix, but I'm only switching on the display tubes for 8 seconds when I got the fix to display the distance. That comment was about the battery drain of the tubes. The circuit needs much less energy without them.

I am guessing that you turn the GPS LED on while you're getting a satellite fix to indicate that the box is "doing something?" Then either display the numbers in the nixies if you get a fix, or turn the Error LED on if you can't get a fix?

I am guessing that you turn the GPS LED on while you're getting a satellite fix to indicate that the box is "doing something?" Then either display the numbers in the nixies if you get a fix, or turn the Error LED on if you can't get a fix?

Yes, the GPS-LED blinks while it's trying to get a fix. It it gets one within 2 minutes, the GPS-LED lights solid and it displays the distance or opening 'animation' for 8 seconds and switches off. It it can't get a fix, the Error-LED lights for 8 seconds and it switches off.

The on-off switch is built with a latch relay, so it's really off when not operating.

Very cool! Does it recharge via USB as well?

No, right now it uses 4 D cell batteries that have to be replaced when the box it reproprammed for the next user. I thought about a rechargeable battery, but then I'd have to add a charging circuit and I ran out of time.

Edited by pannen

Very very cool, I love it! Post the GC code here when you release it, I'd love to follow it. I'm wondering though, how long will it last before it ends up missing like TBs do. Great job, I may try this as my first cache.

Edit: Oops, just read the part under the pic. Skipped over it the first time through because I thought it was your signature line. :( (They really need to add a line or something there to separate those.) I'll add it to my watch list.

Edited by WhoDis

Very very cool, I love it! Post the GC code here when you release it, I'd love to follow it. I'm wondering though, how long will it last before it ends up missing like TBs do. Great job, I may try this as my first cache.

It's not a Geocache according to the Groundspeak rules (a geocache has to be stationary) - So it won't get a GC-Code.

I put a TB-Code on it in order to keep track of it: http://www.coord.info/TB3W7NC

BTW: My box was featured on engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/12/nixie-tube-reverse-geocache-box-makes-us-long-for-the-80s-our-v/

It's not a Geocache according to the Groundspeak rules (a geocache has to be stationary) - So it won't get a GC-Code.

I put a TB-Code on it in order to keep track of it: http://www.coord.info/TB3W7NC

BTW: My box was featured on engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/12/nixie-tube-reverse-geocache-box-makes-us-long-for-the-80s-our-v/

Yeah, I edited my post. Sorry about that. :laughing:

Dont think this TB will disappear like the cool ones tend to do because this one is handed to a specific cacher and that cacher, upon reprogramming, will hand it on to another specific cacher - therefore the cacher who has possesion will not just hang on to it and it wont just be a random cacher, worst case scenario - the current possessor will just hang on to it for a few months

Im more curious on what the odds are with this TB making it to the states with security and all :D

I wont be holding my breath

Racettes

Dont think this TB will disappear like the cool ones tend to do because this one is handed to a specific cacher and that cacher, upon reprogramming, will hand it on to another specific cacher - therefore the cacher who has possesion will not just hang on to it and it wont just be a random cacher, worst case scenario - the current possessor will just hang on to it for a few months

Im more curious on what the odds are with this TB making it to the states with security and all :D

I wont be holding my breath

Racettes

Last year a couple of miles down the road a medicine bottle in a bore hole of a road sign brought out the bomb squad resulting in a large bill being sent to the CO. Still, that's a very cool device.