Magellan ToughCase Review

I wrote a review of the Magellan ToughCase if anyone wants to read it here:

http://www.habitationofjustice.com/magellan-toughcase-review-what-you-need-to-know

The bottom line is that it utterly fails as a geocaching tool, as it will not update your location while you walk or hike to a geocache. This flaw might have been mentioned on the boards before but if so I wanted to mention it again, so geocachers don't make the mistake of buying this is a geocaching solution for their iPod Touch (or older generation iPhone.)

Your review seems similar to my experience with a pocket pc/gpsr that uses the same chip as the toughcase. It worked fine for driving but not for walking until I found a utility that turned off the setting for static (car) navigation. After that, it has been great for caching. Unfortunately there may not be a similar utility for the iphone. But a "toughcase" should work outside the car.

Your review seems similar to my experience with a pocket pc/gpsr that uses the same chip as the toughcase. It worked fine for driving but not for walking until I found a utility that turned off the setting for static (car) navigation. After that, it has been great for caching. Unfortunately there may not be a similar utility for the iphone. But a "toughcase" should work outside the car.

I emailed Magellan about it and they said they were looking into it, but my gut feeling is that they were aware of the design limitation and have no immediate plans to change anything.

The only workaround is to shut down the app you're using for geocaching or something similar (or if you can turn off GPS within the app itself) then start it up again, which will force a GPS update. Unfortunately you would have to do this so many times that it would be counterproductive.

As it stands, the ToughCase would only prove useful for cachers using older 3G iPhone users that already have a GPS chip built in.

I emailed them again. I agree with the quote that Magellan is beating around the bush. The consumer shouldn't address the issue with apple, they should do so. I couldn't figured out how to contact apple, and responded to them telling them to do so or refund everything. Groundspeak responded by telling me to return the item? So I guess they are selling a faux geocaching gps too? I'm pretty frustrated.

BTW, I attempted to post a comment warning others about this design flaw in the ToughCase at Groundspeak's blog here: http://blog.geocaching.com/2010/12/Groundspeak-weekly-mailer-december-15-2010/

but they refused to post the comment. Real mature, Groundspeak. It seems obvious that they botched this promotion without even bothering to test the product for geocaching, and now refuse to own up to their error. Brilliant. :rolleyes:

Is there any update to this? I was considering the Magellan 39329 to augment my iPhone 4 GPS. It's killing me watching my position jump around near GZ by 20 ft or so (especially with trees near by).

I mostly want to improve the GPS signal but extra battery and not having to shell out for a single purpose GPSr would be great.

Any ideas which way I should go if the issue with the Magellan 39329 isn't resolved yet?

Thanks in advance,

GTB

Bump

Please Help....please?

Okay, I'll do what I can.

check out all the threads on these forums on GPS units vs phones.

At this point you've found 137 caches. Actually I'm surprised you've found that many with a phone and still want to stick with the phone.

The question is whether you're going to stick with this game or not. If you are, then you're going to need a GPS sooner or later. If you're sure you're going to keep on playing, you might as well get it sooner.

Let's see, some of the reasons listed on all those threads,

phones have short battery lives, are not waterproof, are not as accurate, and other stuff I'm not remembering.

The more you cache with your phone, the more the limitations will become evident and bothersome.

Garmin has a new low-cost paperless GPS on the market now. I haven't checked into it yet, but Garmin generally puts out good stuff and is better than Magellan.

Get a good Garmin GPS and you won't need a Magellan tough case.

Did I help any?

If not, you know where to find me. I probably won't be back to these forums. I just forget they're here.

Bump to join with other

Even if the case was compatible with an iPhone it wouldn't help at all.

Don't expect your phone or any consumer grade GPSr to land you directly on the cache. They will get you within about 20 to 30 feet. Then its up to you to find the hiding place. Often even the best consumer grade models will jump around is some areas. Its all a matter of where you are, how much interference there is around you and how clear of a view the unit has to the sky.

Is there any update to this? I was considering the Magellan 39329 to augment my iPhone 4 GPS. It's killing me watching my position jump around near GZ by 20 ft or so (especially with trees near by).

I mostly want to improve the GPS signal but extra battery and not having to shell out for a single purpose GPSr would be great.

Any ideas which way I should go if the issue with the Magellan 39329 isn't resolved yet?

Thanks in advance,

GTB

There have been many complaints about the Magellan ToughCase. Someone asked if anyone had had success using the ToughCase with a 2G/3G IPod Touch or 3G/3GS iPhone. I'm here to testify positively to its utility with my 3G iPod/Touch. I'll use the term iTouch in this account, but you can also apply what I write to the 3G/3GS iPhone.

In Jan. 2012 I bought the ToughCase for $79.99 plus shipping/tax directly from Magellan. This is a much reduced price from the original price of $200 back in 2010.

The operations manual is sparse. You ought to read it and then try all options. For example, I found that the ToughCase charges best if you do not put the iTouch inside and if you attach it to a USB cable connected to your computer. I tried to use a USB cable plugged directly into a power strip, it didn't seem to charge. I also tried to charge the ToughCase with the iTouch in side, but it did not charge the case.

The key to understanding the ToughCase is understanding the difference in its behavior with one or two white indicator lights showing. Whenever you open the case, insert the iTouch, and close it, the ToughCase defaults to a one light state. In that (battery only) state it simply acts as a backup battery to your iTouch/iPhone. Actually, what happens is that the ToughCase transfers its battery charge to the iTouch as the iTouch uses its charge. With continued use the ToughCase will transfer all its stored charge to the iTouch/iPhone. That's actually a nice thing if you are flying and your 750 mAh battery in your iTouch runs low on power. Pop it in the ToughCase and you will have another 1840 mAh of power to use on your iTouch!

But that's not why I bought this ToughCase. Yes, the case is water resistant to 1 meter depth for 30 minutes. That's good for use in a rainstorm but not much else. I also didn't buy if for ability to output audio from the iTouch while in the ToughCase. The output jack on the ToughCase only works when the GPS is turned on (two white indicator lights).

I bought the ToughCase because I wanted use GPS capable apps on my ITouch. After inserting the iTouch in the ToughCase, you must put it in the two white light (GPS+battery) state. In this two light state, the audio output jack works and I can play music to external speakers or plug it into my car audio system to listen to music or GPS navigation driving instructions.

I have successfully used three GPS dependent apps. The Geocaching app works just like it does in a GPS containing iPhone. The GPS Tracks application allows you to track your hike/bike/car ride and plot it on Google Earth. The $40 Magellan USA Road Mate GPS navigation app for the iPhone works with ToughCase/ITouch combination.

While using the ToughCase with iTouch combination you have more than triple the iTouch charge for GPS ennobled applications. This is more than you have with the iPhone 4 or 4S!

I could not be happier with the GPS utility of this Magellan TouchCase.