nanos other than blinkies?

JL_HSTRE

Almost every nano I have ever found is a blinkie (nearly always magnetic but I've found a couple drilled into or glued onto a larger host object). The one exception I've seen was a container for mechnical pencil refills. (That was actually the first cache I ever looked for; the container was not described - nor was "nano" mentioned - in the cache description so I didn't know.)

I've also seen a few references online to very small bison tubes being classified as nanos, but I've never seen a bison tube that small in person.

Have you encountered any other nano caches of the non-blinkie variety?

To go off on a slightly different tangent: Since the term "Nano" is not officially recognized by the Groundspeak size scale, designating a cache as such is mostly up to the owner's interpretation. I've found caches labeled as nanos that were blinkies, small bison tubes, plant feeder tubes, tiny centrifuge tubes, regular bison tubes, those cheap plastic cylinders found inside some bison tubes and even one film can. I would like to see Groundspeak create a nano size someday.

To go off on a slightly different tangent: Since the term "Nano" is not officially recognized by the Groundspeak size scale, designating a cache as such is mostly up to the owner's interpretation. I've found caches labeled as nanos that were blinkies, small bison tubes, plant feeder tubes, tiny centrifuge tubes, regular bison tubes, those cheap plastic cylinders found inside some bison tubes and even one film can. I would like to see Groundspeak create a nano size someday.

It's on the list of accepted feature request in the feedback forum.

I found a cache in South Africa that was a small metal tube (smaller in diameter than a blinky) and about an inch long. It had little rubber caps on each end a small earth magnet glued to the middle. I've never seen another container like it but would definitely consider it a nano cache.

As others have mentioned, there is no single definition of a nano-cache. My personal definition is that the container is big enough to contain only a custom-fit log sheet. As such, I consider small Bison tubes to be nano-caches. The "Scuba Tank" and "Extra Large" size Bison tubes are larger, and I consider them non-nano micro-caches.

I've found a number of non-blinker nano-caches. The pet ID tags described above are the smallest I've found, although a couple custom containers have been close.

Another type that I have seen which *could* have been made smaller than it was was a cache made from a small duct tape "envelope". It actually gave me a bit of trouble because it was hidden on a guard rail and I was expecting a different kind of container.

I've seen those a couple times. One time I wasn't even sure it was the cache I was looking for and had to message the CO to confirm. The second time I had trouble finding it because it was silver duct tape inside a guardrail so it blended really well.

I've heard these usually called a "Slim Bob" and the duct tape envelope is often formed aroud a tiny ziplock baggie. But I'm not sure I'd consider these a nano though because it doesn't require a custom logsheet nor a tool to remove the log.

But I'm not sure I'd consider these a nano though because it doesn't require a custom logsheet nor a tool to remove the log.
I don't think requiring a tool to remove the log is really part of what makes a nano-cache a nano. I've never used a tool to retrieve the log from any of the blinkers or other nano-caches I've found.

As others have mentioned, there is no single definition of a nano-cache. My personal definition is that the container is big enough to contain only a custom-fit log sheet. As such, I consider small Bison tubes to be nano-caches. The "Scuba Tank" and "Extra Large" size Bison tubes are larger, and I consider them non-nano micro-caches.

I've found a number of non-blinker nano-caches. The pet ID tags described above are the smallest I've found, although a couple custom containers have been close.

Any container that doesn't take a pre-made notebook has a "custom-fit log sheet." Even the "scuba tank" needs a strip cut to a particular size. So I can't see that as definition of nano.

Any container that doesn't take a pre-made notebook has a "custom-fit log sheet." Even the "scuba tank" needs a strip cut to a particular size. So I can't see that as definition of nano.
The difference (in my mind) is that the custom fit log of a smaller Bison tube fills it, while the custom fit log of a "Scuba Tank" Bison tube doesn't fill it. There is room for a pencil stub or for small trade items.

I've found a few caches that used half a contact lens case. They do work well. The best approach I've seen for the log is to use a strip of paper about half as wide as the diameter of the circular compartment, and to fold it accordion-style into a rectangle that fits completely within the circular compartment. It's a bit of a problem when the log is too big, and the corners have to be folded over or mashed down to get the log to fit.

I suppose you could also do a thinner strip and roll it, the way blinker logs are rolled. But that would be more hassle to sign and replace.

I'd have been shocked if I was the first to think of this. :) I'm glad to hear they work well in practice.

I was thinking that if you cut the log paper so that it was a little narrower (1/8"?) than the diameter of the interior of the case, then folded it so that the "pages" were square, then cut off the corners when it was folded up, you'd still have a usable log. It'd be sort of like making a paper snowflake.

Or just staple a bunch of paper circles, cut just smaller than the container.