How to "Favorite" a cache you didn't find

addisonbr

I know folks have mentioned in the past that they'd like to be able to vote for caches that they haven't found, because there is something about the journey or the spot that they really loved, and it was regrettable that by virtue of only logging a DNF they weren't able to do it. It turns out that there is a workaround available (and since I first became aware of it when a reviewer used it on a fantastic cache that I love, it seems to be an endorsed method):

The steps are simple - first, log a bogus find on the cache. Then, award the cache a Favorite vote. Then, delete the bogus find. Find goes away from your profile, keeping your find history intact, but your linked Favorite vote remains in the system.

You can't easily manufacture extra votes this way, but for most folks I don't think that's the point - what I've seen people ask for is not "I wish I had more votes" but rather "I wish I could spend my votes on caches I didn't find". This appears to be a way to solve that problem.

I just can't imagine how on earth I could determine that a cache was a favorite if I'd never actually been to it. Hopefully this won't become to common a practice in the grand scheme of things.

I'm not going to go through the process, but here is a cache I absolutely would recommend even though I didn't find it. Here is another. And this one, no question (found the first stage). Definitely some of my most memorable hunts, those.

Edited by Dinoprophet

I just can't imagine how on earth I could determine that a cache was a favorite if I'd never actually been to it. Hopefully this won't become to common a practice in the grand scheme of things.

I'm not going to go through the process, but here is a cache I absolutely would recommend even though I didn't find it. Here is another. And this one, no question (found the first stage). Definitely some of my most memorable hunts, those.

Okay I could see maybe adding a cache that you logged a DNF on to your favorites (sometimes the point of the journey is not to arrive.) I can't understand adding a cache that you never even attempted to look for. I'm not sure which we're talking about in the particular instance.