Why all the resets?

LSUFan

Howdy again everyone..... long time listener, first time caller. :lol:

We ran across another peculiarity that hopefully someone understands the reasoning behind. We recovered several disk resets that were reset in 1983 in bridge abutments. The thing is, it appears that the 1966 USCGS disks that the 1983 NGS resets were 'replaced' for, are just a few feet from them........at least looking at the numbering scheme for them.

However, there isn't an active datasheet for the 1966 original disks.

Why would they place resets, just a few feet from the originals? I figured if they didn't have all the data for the 1966 originals, it would have still been easier to occupy them, instead of going to the trouble of installing new disks. Maybe because it was a different monumenting agency perhaps?

It could also be that you they are too close to the guardrail posts (the pics are deceiving somewhat, as you can get directly over the disks as you can see from my pics on the gc.com logs), but I don't know when the rail posts were placed. I'm just guessing, but am real curious to the actual reasons.

Here are the links and pics to the 3 in a row we found.

CP2412

821b18e1-7046-4a5e-8006-dc898879f95c.jpg

CP2413

7e587a84-7eda-445b-8100-f649ccf1b917.jpg

CP2414

89049805-c1a0-4c65-a6f2-618e069c3491.jpg

Thanks

Edited by LSUFan

You can see from the discoloration and 4 cut-off anchors in the concrete that something obscured the original disk at one time in the past. IMO a guard rail was attached closer to the railing and was over the top of the disk. Encountered that a few times on our work at the DOT. Once we had to dismantle a section of GR to get to the mark to use it.

The FHWA was always changing guard rail spec's every few years.....

Edited by Z15