Not being notified of my caches being found

the3gmen

I had assumed that because of the cold weather, my caches weren't being found recently. Today I happened to check the online log of one of my hides and noticed that it was found several times in the last month, but I never received any emails notifying me.

I checked my other hides and they have been found recently without any email notifications either.

I checked my spam folder and found nothing there. My watchlist items are generating emails but not my own hides.

edit: I just checked. the last owner notification I received was on Dec 26.

Does anyone have any ideas why I am not getting the notifications ?

Edited by the3gmen

In today's world SPAM filters might exist at many levels you may or may not be able to control. Infact some ISPs filter or throttle emails without your knowledge. However, I think it is more likely that you somehow created some kind of email rule that either deletes the owner emails or shuffles them off to a special folder. Try a new gmail account to test.

In today's world SPAM filters might exist at many levels you may or may not be able to control. Infact some ISPs filter or throttle emails without your knowledge. However, I think it is more likely that you somehow created some kind of email rule that either deletes the owner emails or shuffles them off to a special folder. Try a new gmail account to test.

thanks for the suggestion. I changed my caching account's primary email address and created a test log on one of my caches and it comes through fine. It must be an issue with that 1st email address. I'll check into spam filters.

I just realized I'm having the same problem after seeing a DNF on one of my caches that I couldn't remember being notified of. I then checked the rest of my caches and found dozens of logs over the last month that I never got. While I'm still getting notifications for new caches, finds on my Watchlist, and the Geocaching weekly newsletter I haven't received a notification (found/DNF) on any of my caches since 12/15/10. I don't see anything in the spam folder either.

Edit: Well I got mine figured out. While my current Gmail adresss wasn't spamming it, I forgot I have my geocaching stuff sent to another older gmail address of mine and then forwarded to the one I use now. Turns out the older one started spamming the notifications for no apparent reason that I can tell.

Edited by Nicodemus3

I just realized I'm having the same problem after seeing a DNF on one of my caches that I couldn't remember being notified of. I then checked the rest of my caches and found dozens of logs over the last month that I never got. While I'm still getting notifications for new caches, finds on my Watchlist, and the Geocaching weekly newsletter I haven't received a notification (found/DNF) on any of my caches since 12/15/10. I don't see anything in the spam folder either.

Edit: Well I got mine figured out. While my current Gmail adresss wasn't spamming it, I forgot I have my geocaching stuff sent to another older gmail address of mine and then forwarded to the one I use now. Turns out the older one started spamming the notifications for no apparent reason that I can tell.

I am experience the same problem of not being notified of finds or DNFs. Other emails from Groundspeak, etc or coming in fine...

I had thought I wasn't getting find notifications through from Groundspeak. When I logged on to my NTL email using their website, I found that NTL has been flagging all these emails are spam! They were all in the server's Spam folder - I've now retrieved them and marked as "Not Spam", so hopefully they will come through now. I think the change happened when NTL (VirginMedia) went over to using the Google interface for all their emails.

I have been investigating this a little more.

I have a separate gmail account that I just use for geocaching. I then check mail using POP3 from my main gmail account. The Groundspeak owner notifications are going to the account that is dedicated to caching, but for some reason, they are not being recognized with the POP3 on my main gmail account.

test emails and watch list notifications sent to the caching account go through fine, it is just the owner notifications that aren't getting through.

same problem, started at the same time, around 12/16. My gmail account just decided that email from Groundspeak for my hide notices was spam. I also marked them as not spam and moved them to the inbox. I just hope that solved the problem. I don't want to make a new account just for geocaching. I've used this account since shortly after Gmail started service.

If anyone has a 'solution' to the problem, PLEASE let me know. I missed several important notices that were time sensitive. :(

same problem, started at the same time, around 12/16. My gmail account just decided that email from Groundspeak for my hide notices was spam. I also marked them as not spam and moved them to the inbox. I just hope that solved the problem.

For gmail, a better solution is to add "noreply@geocaching.com" to your contacts list. Email from your contacts doesn't get flagged as spam.

It's been reported as a problem here:

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75863-report-a-problem/suggestions/1340095-owner-log-emails-no-longer-arriving?ref=title

If you can add your votes, maybe we can get it moved up the priority list.

Why - it isn't a Groundspeak issue - it is a gmail issue??!!!??

Even if it is something that's only happening to gmail users, it can often be more helpful/efficient if Groundspeak works with gmail to ferret out the problem, especially if gmail has adjusted a setting at the domain level for Groundspeak. If it affects enough people, it could be worth the company's efforts to help get it straightened out.

It's been reported as a problem here:

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75863-report-a-problem/suggestions/1340095-owner-log-emails-no-longer-arriving?ref=title

If you can add your votes, maybe we can get it moved up the priority list.

Why - it isn't a Groundspeak issue - it is a gmail issue??!!!??

I'm not sure it is exclusively a GMail issue. My main caching address isn't GMail. Or am I missing something?