Chirp and the Garmin 62s

We had the pleasure of finding our first Chirp cache yesterday, but we noted the following issue and was wondering if someone could clarify if we made a mistake or is this another software issue? We are running software v2.92 on the Garmin 62s.

We approached the published coords and listened for the chirp. We got the 'Chirp detected, receiving data from GCxxxx' screen. We let this get to 100% and noted the next screen to be 'Chirp data transfer complete', 100% showing and now the options 'Shown Chirp details' and 'OK'. We pressed the 'Show Chirp details' option and was then presented with the screen showing serial num, last visit, total visits, a clue and the final coords, with a single button option of 'GO'. We pressed this and the Garmin 62s created a new waypoint with the final coords. We headed to the final and the search went well - we found it. BUT, there seems no way to go back to the screen showing the clue that was transmitted - I would have thought that the clue should have been written into the newly generated waypoint, but this was not the case. Any ideas were we went wrong or is this yet another software issue? What happens if I had pressed 'OK' on the 'Chirp data transfer complete' screen instead of the 'Show Chirp details' option? The cache is distant from home and it is not easy for me to return to do further tests - also I would be messing up the 'total visits' count etc for the owner if I was to go retrieving details again to perform tests. I cannot 100% remember which profile I was using ( I constantly flick between Recreational-to plan and view next cache with a Northerly map, Car - to get there on road and geocaching-when we get out of the car ). Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.

On the Oregon, the full details of the transmitted data can be seen by choosing the "chirp" option in the geocaching menu. It's not stored permanently though, if you disable chirp searching or turn off the device (or receive another chirp), the info is gone.

Thanks for bringing the Chirp Wiki to my attention.

'You should write down the chirp message since this information is not stored permanently on the GPS.'

'Note the special chirp waypoint will have the name and coordinates from the chirp but not the message. The only way to retrieve the message again is to reconnect to the chirp.'

Since I go 'paperless' ( main reason for purchasing the Garmin 62s ) writing down the message from the Chirp is counter productive and means I have to carry paper again! Reconnecting to the Chirp again ( not possible at the final location - out of range ) would cause the 'total visits' counter to increment, spoiling it for the owner and other visitors.

What is needed, is for the message/clue to be downloaded to the newly created waypoint and stored even with power off ( I might want to search for the final location another day. I feel a message to Garmin is in order....... although I am still waiting for a reply from them ( despite several chases ) regarding a profile issue I reported on the forums on 15th Nov 2010. Strange that there is not a Garmin forum where I can report / discuss issues like this. When I spoke to Garmin on 15th Nov 2010 they logged the profile issue on their 'internal' forum; when asked why we didnt have one to report probs against, their response was that they would look into having the forum made public.......