Mystery Cache Not Always there

I have only hid 2 caches before and we take good care of them. I have an idea for a cache but wanted to bounce it off of this community first.

It would be a mystery cache. The cords would be immediately available as you would have for a traditional cache. However, once the puzzle is solved (not sure what type of puzzle yet) one would find out that the cache is not always there. The solution would explain on what days the cache is there; Such as day 1,2,3,5,7,11,etc (prime numbers).

This would be maintenance intensive (so close to home), but you anyone find it fun??

I have only hid 2 caches before and we take good care of them. I have an idea for a cache but wanted to bounce it off of this community first.

It would be a mystery cache. The cords would be immediately available as you would have for a traditional cache. However, once the puzzle is solved (not sure what type of puzzle yet) one would find out that the cache is not always there. The solution would explain on what days the cache is there; Such as day 1,2,3,5,7,11,etc (prime numbers).

This would be maintenance intensive (so close to home), but you anyone find it fun??

My vote would be "Thumbs Down" on that idea. Cache should always be there. My bet would be a reviewer would not permit it.

I think the issue of cache permanence comes into play here. Are you going to replace the cache at 12:01 a.m. every day it's supposed to be there, just in case someone wants to go early to retrieve it?? What happens if you're sick one day and can't put the cache back? Someone might be a little unhappy at making a trek for nothing.

Just some things to think about. <_<

The solution would explain on what days the cache is there; Such as day 1,2,3,5,7,11,etc (prime numbers).

The container should be permanent. But you could change something about the container on the prime number days, maybe have trade items (Swag) available only on those days. Some parks are very restrictive, so there are caches that can only be hunted on certain days of the week. And some are seasonal, so the container's gone for months, but easy for cachers to know when it's there.

If you can design the puzzle so it can only be solved on certain days, it might be OK (just check with the reviewer). I have only a vague idea how a mystery cache could be set up like that, though. OK, I have an idea. The local Town Crier shouts a clue on certain days. You'll need a Town Crier for that.

Edited by kunarion

Finding out that the cache is unavailable AFTER solving the puzzle would not sit well with me. I probably would not return to find it when it became available, even if happened to be out caching that day. If I knew of its availability before I went out caching, I may do it. Again, I would be less than thrilled if the cache wasn't there. Get your cache out there and let be.

A. Depends on the puzzle.

If it's something I can easily see how to work, then I would attempt it.

If I don't see how to work it...IGNORE.

B. If I work it and see the cache is fairly near me and I have a chance of being there when it's available, then I would probably bide my time until the moment was right. If I need to make a special trip across town to make the find at an odd hour...IGNORE.

Overall, I would say that a cache with restricted hours just because the owner wanted it so is:

1.A bad idea.

2.Probably against the guidelines.

I've heard of caches that can be opened only at certain times (usually at night, to prevent people from finding a night cache during the day). But it should be something that works automatically, so the cache doesn't depend on you replacing it.

For comparison, consider the example in the guidelines of a cache where you have to email a puzzle solution to the cache owner to get the coordinates. Caches like this are generally prohibited (for good reason). A cache that depends on the owner being able to replace it is also unlikely to be published.

I think that this cache could be listed under the current guidelines. Run it by your reviewer. He will likely want to know the specifics of the maintenance plan that will ensure that the cache can be found on the 'available' days.

If the reviewer believes that this cache idea violates the guidelines, contact TPTB. Caches that are not technically in compliance with the guidelines can still be listed if prior approval from TPTB is obtained.

Here's my thinking:

1. Caches that are only available during certain days/hours/seasons are allowed under the current guidelines. The cache owner merely needs to include this information on the cache page.
  2. Puzzle caches that require the cache page to be decyphered in order to find the cache are allowed under the current guidelines.
  3. This cache idea merely combines these two qualities. It matters not if access to the site is only possible on the specified days or if the cache is not physically in place except for those days, as long as the cache owner has a solid plan to make sure that the cache is available. He could even leave teh cache in place on some days that are not identified in the solution, as long as a.) the cache is there when it should be and b.) he doesn't delete valid logs from the 'off' days.

Edited by sbell111

Thanks everyone. It sounds like it would be allowed (if handled correctly) but that most people wouldn't appreciate it. I'll give it a lot more thought. Thank you.

Something else to consider...

If you're going to limit the number of days in a month the cache is available you might be effectively excluding any geocachers that may be visiting in your area for a short period of time from being able to find your cache. That may not matter to you, and there's nothing in the guidelines to prevent it, but personally I prefer to see cache owners try to accommodate traveling geocachers instead of just creating something that will only be found the local community.

That was my thought.

Your cache would be found only by those who live in the area, so it would get a lot of activity to start with, and then very little.

People who travel through would miss it most of the time.

Even people who live in nearby areas.

When I cache in a nearby city, I get the caches I can, then move on to another area. I'm not going to come back just for a cache that is only available on Saturday 10:30 am til noon.

IGNORE list.

(did you want your cache to be found? Did you mention that?)

Thanks everyone. It sounds like it would be allowed (if handled correctly) but that most people wouldn't appreciate it. I'll give it a lot more thought. Thank you.

Something else to consider...

If you're going to limit the number of days in a month the cache is available you might be effectively excluding any geocachers that may be visiting in your area for a short period of time from being able to find your cache. That may not matter to you, and there's nothing in the guidelines to prevent it, but personally I prefer to see cache owners try to accommodate traveling geocachers instead of just creating something that will only be found the local community.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. The very fact that the cache would be listed as a puzzle is going to greatly restrict finders.