How hard do you have to look before logging a DNF?

CachinStrattons

Another newb question here... hopefully the last one - never know though ;)

Hypothetical situation. Leaving my office in the middle of the day to run to wal-mart or for lunch or something. Half way between the office and the big W is a cache, right along side the road. Now suppose this cache has a level 2 or 3 difficulty rating. I only have 10 minutes or so to spare, but I pull off, just in case I get a lucky, quick grab... but no luck.

Now, I have visited the location, looked for the cache (sort of), and didn't find it. I am not at ALL afraid or ashamed of logging a DNF... I don't have that many finds, but I truly feel as though I've done my homework, and I know how essential the DNFs are for several different reasons (including enjoyment of the game, actually). Do I log the DNF because technically, it was? My gut tells me that I shouldn't cause alarm to the owner by logging a DNF for a cache that, by attributes, should have taken me anywhere from a few minutes to a half a day to find - after all, I only looked for 10 minutes and really wouldn't have EXPECTED to find it.

Proper protocol here please? Thanks so much for humoring me. :unsure:

Edited by CachinStrattons

If you looked and didn't find it, log a DNF. Just put in your log something like, "Didn't have a lot of time to look but gave it a quick once over. I'll be back another time when I can spend a little more time looking for it. Thanks."

This way the cache owner will know that you really didn't give a good look and that it's probably still there. It will also let other cachers know that you didn't give it a good try and they won't ignore it. As a cache owner, if I saw this log I would wait for a few more DNF's before I was concerned.

If you looked and didn't find it, log a DNF. Just put in your log something like, "Didn't have a lot of time to look but gave it a quick once over. I'll be back another time when I can spend a little more time looking for it. Thanks."

This way the cache owner will know that you really didn't give a good look and that it's probably still there. It will also let other cachers know that you didn't give it a good try and they won't ignore it. As a cache owner, if I saw this log I would wait for a few more DNF's before I was concerned.

Ditto!

Gives other caches the 'heads up' that they may need to spend more than 5 minutes at the site!

I also post, either a DNF or a note, if there are a lot of muggles around the hide site so I can't search.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

How hard you look is totally up to you. But as everyone has said, if you looked for it at all but didn't find it, log a DNF. If you didn't look very hard or only had a short time, it is very helpful to mention that as well.

Also.. don't stop asking your "newb" questions. I'd say that for every "newb" question that's asked here, there are probably more than a few "non-newbs" (as if there could ever be such a thing) that are glad to see the answers... speaking from personal experience. :)

Edited by Brooklyn51

Thanks for the advice and for being so friendly, everyone. There are people that have been posting here forever, finding caches forever, etc... It's intimidating to walk into someone else's yard and just start badgering for answers. I have read as much as I think I possibly can on all of this, but some things just "seem to be," rather than explicitly stated that they "should be" that way. I try not to follow because something seems to be the trend, know what I mean? I also wanted to make sure that I'm not offending anyone or messing anything up. This is a great game/activity/whatever you want to call it. I'm just trying to do my best to wedge myself into the community and find my place here without being to brash about it :D

Many thanks to all, again, for the replies!

All DNF logs have some valuable information to both owners and seekers. Whether the DNF is due to bad weather, lack of time, equipment failure, cranky kid or just that crazy good donut smell coming from the nearby bakery that got distracting.

If you looked and Did Not Find - it is nothing more than telling the truth when you log a DNF.

For me, it isn't a question of how long I search but if I search. In other words, if I actually search for the cache and walk away without a find, I log a DNF, regardless of amount of time spent searching.

Regarding all the good comments above about adding details to a DNF log, that is actually something that would be helpful in pretty much all DNF logs. More information and feedback in any DNF log is helpful in that it allows others to place the DNF in proper context. A generic "didn't find it" tells me nothing useful (except that it wasn't found), but a detailed log that lets me differentiate between a quick hit and run DNF and a scorched earth search, that is helpful.

It's worth mentioned that many (most?) people do not bother to log DNFs at all. The comments in this thread are not representative of what the average cacher does in the field.

You'll see people mention in their "Found" log that it took them 2 or 3 searches to locate a cache but they wont have logged any DNFs. When caches go missing it may take a while for someone to log a DNF even though it's clear from the frequency of previous finds that people are probably searching for it.

It's worth mentioned that many (most?) people do not bother to log DNFs at all. The comments in this thread are not representative of what the average cacher does in the field.

I have noticed this MANY times before... Kind of what prompted my question, among other "suggested guidelines' vs. random discrepancies that I have encountered. Honesty here is greatly appreciated. I also greatly appreciate every single cache that I have found, in many ways... That being said, I am new, and I would very much like to strive to stick to what is expected of me as a participant, rather than what is average. I don't know... paranoia?

That one would not qualify for a DNF for me. Didn't really give it much of a search. Useless informaton that clutters up the cache page.

This was my initial thought - and I've done that a couple of times before... Was getting started, experimenting, so on and so forth. That's why I asked for clarification. I think I see the other side here, though. I've been carefully planning a small series of caches near my home, and I am actually very excited about them. If they were already out there and I was anxious and excited, I think I'd want to know anything I could. "Looked for 9 minutes, couldn't find cache, but pile of raccoon poop looked like Abe Lincoln." ... Sweet.

Edited by CachinStrattons

I have a cache that I've searched for and probably logged about 6 dnf's for and even went with the cache owner as he was going to be nice and help me out and get it off my ignore list. Seems that it was missing since the last find and he didn't know it although you could see people had been looking for it. This is a hard cache and he uses the dnf rate to determine if he should go check up on it. So yeah, dnf's are an important tool.

I have noticed this MANY times before... Kind of what prompted my question, among other "suggested guidelines' vs. random discrepancies that I have encountered. Honesty here is greatly appreciated. I also greatly appreciate every single cache that I have found, in many ways... That being said, I am new, and I would very much like to strive to stick to what is expected of me as a participant, rather than what is average. I don't know... paranoia?

That one would not qualify for a DNF for me. Didn't really give it much of a search. Useless informaton that clutters up the cache page.

This was my initial thought, but I guess I can see the other side here. I've been carefully planning a small series of caches near my home, and I am actually very excited about them. If they were already out there and I was anxious and excited, I think I'd want to know anything I could. "Looked for 9 minutes, couldn't find cache, but pile of raccoon poop looked like Abe Lincoln." ... Sweet.

I think you begin to understand the argument for posting DNF logs when you actually made an attempt to hunt for the cache. As an owner I appreciate every log. Except perhaps the ones that are TFTC. But that is just me. ;)

I suppose its a matter of perspective. In this case, I wouldn't really argue too hard with anyone who feels it doesn't warrant a log. From my experience, however, most cache owners really appreciate knowing that someone is out there looking for the cache. Even if they didn't find it. Even if they didn't search for long.

Since I don't yet have any hides of my own, I feel that doing this is a good way to give something back to the people who made all the effort. And when I do start hiding my own, I'll continue to do that, and I'll hope that people will do the same for any of my caches.

This was my initial thought - and I've done that a couple of times before... Was getting started, experimenting, so on and so forth. That's why I asked for clarification. I think I see the other side here, though. I've been carefully planning a small series of caches near my home, and I am actually very excited about them. If they were already out there and I was anxious and excited, I think I'd want to know anything I could. "Looked for 9 minutes, couldn't find cache, but pile of raccoon poop looked like Abe Lincoln." ... Sweet.

I've logged DNFs when I never actually searched. If I start the hunt and come up empty I log a DNF. For me I consider the hunt started the moment I call up the cache and hit GOTO on my GPS. That means if my hunt is ended by an unfordable stream, deep snow, non geocachers sitting on the cache, whatever, I log a DNF. It's all information that can be useful to other cachers.

I always log my DNFs, and with all the snow, I've been logging more DNFs than finds. One incident, though I'll share-I have hidden only one cache, and a very prolific cacher here in this area e-mailed me for a hint, which I was glad to send him, but I did ask him to log a DNF. Well, long story short, he only logged his find after I sent him the hint and never the DNF. The guy has got 1000s of caches under his belt, and I guess you'd call him a "pro" but I think he shoulda done the more honest thing so he lost a bit of georespect from me. Anyway-it doesn't keep me up at night, I've just made a decision about the way I want to play this game.

I've just made a decision about the way I want to play this game.

I like this sentence. I guess that kind of sums up the whole thing, doesn't it. Personal integrity.

Yeah, that's a great thought to keep in mind biggrin.gif I see no shame in logging my DNFs. I sometimes see people log "I came back and this time I found it" or "I tried a couple times before...." on a "found it" log but no DNF for the same cache. Kind of bugs me but I'll just say this to myself when I see that happen next time wink.gif

I have been geocaching for only a short time and I was relunctant to log my DNFs, now I understand that I should have.

I have one that I have searched for many times and I'm not convinced that it is even there,I have done what has been described as a "scorched earth" search but because I did not log my DNFs, the CO cannot know if there are issues with it.

I did ask the CO for a hint but did not get a reply, had I logged the DNFs, the situation may be different.

From now on, every search will receive a log of some kind.

To answer your question, if you made a search for it, you should log it.

My standard is "if my feet touch the ground and eyes look for the cache". If I don't get out of the car, off the bike, etc, but have something to say to the CO, then I leave it as a note. I did this earlier this week. I feel it is a tip of the hat to the CO. Not Found Note

I think I started out not logging DNFs out of embarrassment. Then I decided that I could use creative writing to have a little fun with them. I also came to the self-realization that not finding a cache is all part of the game. It adds to the fun to know something isnt super easy. I began to find that I was looking forward to caches that others had been unable to find. Not that I always found them either, but that is the challenge.

Now that I have a few caches of my own, I appreciate any news from them. I drive past one of them every few days and always slow down to look for footprints in the snow on the soccer field. All winter, nothing. I would love to get a log to let me know someone at least thought about the cache. My other cache is near work and under a 10ft pile of snow from a plow. I got a log last week that someone tried to find it anyway. I was thrilled to see that DNF log.

Now that I have a few caches of my own, I appreciate any news from them. I drive past one of them every few days and always slow down to look for footprints in the snow on the soccer field. All winter, nothing. I would love to get a log to let me know someone at least thought about the cache. My other cache is near work and under a 10ft pile of snow from a plow. I got a log last week that someone tried to find it anyway. I was thrilled to see that DNF log.

Great perspective here. I appreciate the stories - I well-imagine that's how I would feel if mine were already out.

Thanks!!!

How do you contact the person who placed the cache for a hint? Please help! We have had to log too many DNF lately. Thanks

Probably not the right thread for this... But, the easiest way is to bring up the cache listing on Geocaching.com. Click on the name of the owner/hider (CO) and it will bring up their profile page which lists their e-mail address. :)

Another newb question here... hopefully the last one - never know though ;)

Hypothetical situation. Leaving my office in the middle of the day to run to wal-mart or for lunch or something. Half way between the office and the big W is a cache, right along side the road. Now suppose this cache has a level 2 or 3 difficulty rating. I only have 10 minutes or so to spare, but I pull off, just in case I get a lucky, quick grab... but no luck.

Now, I have visited the location, looked for the cache (sort of), and didn't find it. I am not at ALL afraid or ashamed of logging a DNF... I don't have that many finds, but I truly feel as though I've done my homework, and I know how essential the DNFs are for several different reasons (including enjoyment of the game, actually). Do I log the DNF because technically, it was? My gut tells me that I shouldn't cause alarm to the owner by logging a DNF for a cache that, by attributes, should have taken me anywhere from a few minutes to a half a day to find - after all, I only looked for 10 minutes and really wouldn't have EXPECTED to find it.

Proper protocol here please? Thanks so much for humoring me. :unsure:

My rule of thumb is 7.5 minutes for a rating of one and 15 minutes for a rating of two. The past few weeks I have DNF'd about 15 caches. There must be over 10,000 caches that I have not found in my geocache radius.

I have seen people post notes on my caches saying they could not find the cache. I do not know why they do not just post a DNF. There is one cacher that I have done lots of caching with over the years who will never post a DNF, I have been with him when we have come upo empty on a search.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Some people even log DNFs when they didn't look at all: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=7556caed-64cc-4c8e-9935-2d300bbee149

Was kinda disturbing to see that DNF at first glace before reading the log.

Even better...how about this one I recently posted:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=cec88fd2-58d8-44b8-b16f-7c5323b7837e

I later visited GZ and earned that DNF! :laughing:

For the full story on ISAG see CondoMax's profile:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=b1585d60-b7ab-4af5-a765-eee673101fb1&wid=43738511-3214-48f5-953c-400353d57a20&ds=2