Geocaching gadgets

Ktkins31

I was wondering what interesting gadgets there are out there (supplied by Groundspeak or not) that you use to help find caches. Also, what do you use in your basic kit.

I think that a space pen is pretty essential, but I am looking to expand my kit, and get ideas for presents for my geocaching parents.

Basic kits include:

Urban--

Tweezers (pointy ones -- not eyebrow tweezers)

Pencil(s)-- even space pens can fail

Spare batteries

A reaching implement, magnetic or grabbing (both?)

Flashlight to see into dark holes

Gloves, to reach in dark holes

Spare batteries

A partner - to reach into dark holes

A small first-aid kit for your partner

Did I mention batteries?

Non-urban--

All of the above

TP (very important)

Small roll of duct tape (can even just make a small roll 1 - 2 ft)

Walking stick -- good for prodding into dark holes

Spare logbook(s)/logsheet(s)

Freezer-type zip-loc baggies

Knife -- penknife is fine

Don't forget spare batteries

There's more, but you never seem to have enough.

I was wondering what interesting gadgets there are out there (supplied by Groundspeak or not) that you use to help find caches. Also, what do you use in your basic kit.

I think that a space pen is pretty essential, but I am looking to expand my kit, and get ideas for presents for my geocaching parents.

Actually a felt tip pen is best when trying to write logs onto soggy paper :lol:

Add to Gitchee's list, an actual mechanical compass, whether or not your GPSr has an electronic one.

Actually a felt tip pen is best when trying to write logs onto soggy paper :lol:

Add to Gitchee's list, an actual mechanical compass, whether or not your GPSr has an electronic one.

Shame on me! An(other) oversight on my part. I always carry a GOOD magnetic compass. It is tied to my geo-pack. Shame on me on forgetting an important item.

Doesn't fit in the pack, but a hiking stick is great for poking in the woods. The sound of found plastic is wonderful! We bought a pair for around $70 Cdn about 3 years ago. Others have mentioned tweezers - the best I have found are the ones retired from the dental office. I also have a telescoping magnet with light which was fairly cheap, flashlight, gloves (rubberized gardening type)pens,camera, cell phone, batteries in my new favourite bag - a sling type. Must NEVER forget my reading glasses or I can't read the GPS!

Oh, in addition to the Sharpie pen I also ALWAYS have on my person (caching or not) a Swiss Army Knife (Super Tinker) and a small 1AAA LED flashlight. I have used the tweezers from the knife to extract logs from nano caches. If I'm on a planned cache outing I will usually pack a little larger flashlight.

I don't usually bring much more than that because most of the caches around here don't involve getting very far off the beaten path, so not much gear is needed.

I always carry two bottles of water. Sounds like a lot, but recently I was on the "hiking and biking" trail in San Antonio and only had a partial bottle with me. It got over 80 that day and the bottle ran dry and I wished I had at least one more. A good magnetic compass is always a good ideal even if you are in urban settings, sometimes it really helps to know which way you are going if your GPS fails. ( and it will ) Also a good knife, tweezers, extra logs, and leather gloves. Where I live the rubber gloves would just get you in trouble. Here everything stings, sticks or bites you. I got stung by a scorpion last July and it was not fun. Now I carry good leather gloves to poke around in. Just last week I was looking for a cache and found four scorpions. I carry two flashlights and extra batteries, the same type that will work for the GPS. Why a flashlight when caching in the daytime? Sometimes you just cannot see down into a dark place without a flashlight even in bright daylight. Swag.

I carry a maxpedition shoulder caching bag with some items to help me out in most situations. I actually have 3 basic packs and items do change based on the season but I'll list some common items.

flashlight

spare batteries

string

small corded rope

paperclips

tweezers

swiss army knife

duck tape

pens/pencils/sharpener(s)

ziploc bags

2 first aid kits

emergency poncho

emergency blanket

lighter/matches

water

snack

bug spray

rare earth magnet

mirror

misc

For any walk/hike I also have my walking stick. I generally always wear a hat of some kind.

A comfortable, roomy backpack

Hiking Boots. Good ones that will get you around higher terrain.

Gloves - the utility sort they sell at Lowes that are designed for auto repair - they're flexible and stand up to a lot. They also dry out quickly.

A good raincoat / windbreaker (if you live in a non-arid region)

Bug spray

WATER

Sunblock, bug spray, etc.

Small first aid kit

Tweezers

Small bag of cache maintenance stuff - extra logs, etc.

Personal care items - sanitizer, wet ones, tp, tissues.

Sunglasses, hat...though I despise wearing a hat and won't.

I like the felt tip pen idea. I'll have to start making sure I've got my extra-fine tip Sharpie on me.

My pack includes things for both urban and non-urban caching. Some stuff i have on my all the time anyways. I keep a pocket sized multi tool with me all the time. It has a small knife, needle nose pliers, screw drivers and a small LED flashlight. Always have a hat and sunglasses as well.

In my pack:

Pens

Pen sized Hand Sanitizer

Batteries

Small Note pad

Batteries

Couple of film cans

Plastic shopping bag for CITO opportunities

Leather gloves

Swag

25 ft of para-cord

Large knife with interchangeable blades (typical blade, blunt blade, slim utility blade, and a saw blade)

Couple of 35 gal trash bags for emergency rain coats

Small and snack sized freezer bags for cache maintenance

Bottle of watter and some snack bars.

On my walking stick is additional para-cord and a compass.

I always carry two bottles of water. Sounds like a lot, but recently I was on the "hiking and biking" trail in San Antonio and only had a partial bottle with me. It got over 80 that day and the bottle ran dry and I wished I had at least one more. A good magnetic compass is always a good ideal even if you are in urban settings, sometimes it really helps to know which way you are going if your GPS fails. ( and it will ) Also a good knife, tweezers, extra logs, and leather gloves. Where I live the rubber gloves would just get you in trouble. Here everything stings, sticks or bites you. I got stung by a scorpion last July and it was not fun. Now I carry good leather gloves to poke around in. Just last week I was looking for a cache and found four scorpions. I carry two flashlights and extra batteries, the same type that will work for the GPS. Why a flashlight when caching in the daytime? Sometimes you just cannot see down into a dark place without a flashlight even in bright daylight. Swag.

Had the same thing happen to me on the trail in San Antonio in January during a week of (what seemed like) really nice weather for a Northeasterner like me - mid to upper 60s. Only took a small amount of water along with me from my hotel and ended up having to stop for a drink at a place near the Pearl Brewery.

Water is a good thing!

Here is most of what I take with me for most caches

CachingStuff.jpg

Garmin eTrex Summit

Rite In The Rain notebook (note taking and emergency logs)

Nitrile gloves

Emergency kit with:

Candle

Fox 40 Whistle

Swedish steel (for fire starting)

Small knife

Mirror (for signalling, also helps to administer first aid if you cut your face or eye

Flashlights with red filters (Red filter helps retain night vision)

Bandana (so many uses, I have used it as a head band, emergency bandage, face cloth, coffee filter, etc etc etc)

Tweezers (for removing slivers and micro logs)

Spare batteries

Map and compass (Always have a map and compass, it's awkward when you have to eat your friends...)

iPod with Geocaching app

Caching Bag with Geopatch

Not Shown:

Water bottle

Inka pen

Magnifying glass (for fire starting and to help remove slivers)

Walking stick

Victorinox swiss army knife

Twine

Cell phone

Bug spray

First aid kit

• Camouflage BDUs 1 each color
  • Helmet/Hat matching BDU pattern 1 each color
  • Jungle/combat boots 1 pair
  • LBE with Ammunition pouches
  • Ammunition 2000 rounds
  • Hydration system or Canteen, w/cover
  • Pistol belt
  • Holster for sidearm
  • Rucksack, ALICE type
  • M4 assault rifle
  • M9 pistol
  • Ballistic goggles, ANSI Z87.1989
  • Gloves, tactical 1 pair
  • Kneepads, tactical 1 pair
  • Mirror, signaling
  • Compass, lensatic
  • Insect repellant 1 bottle/can
  • Snap link 2 each
  • Knife with scabbard
  • Pouch, first aid
  • Nylon rope, 12 feet
  • Poncho, lightweight
  • Global Positioning Satellite Receiver
  • 550 cord, 1 roll
  • Flashlight with colored lenses

That's my equipment when I'm playing airsoft... Ignore the stuff in green and thats my Geocaching gear. :ph34r:

Edited by shadowmib