Garmin GPSMAP 62 - sticky issue

I have one of the early Garmin 62s. When I'm arriving at a cache I often see the "distance to go" stick at say 30 feet from GZ even though I'm still moving forward. After a frustrating wait it will then wake up and jump to where it should be. I have seen one other post on this subject but no answers so far. Is anyone else seeing the same issue?

Have you tried to update the firmware?

Yes I have been updating the firmware. I was at 2.80 when I checked earlier today. I went to the garmin site and it claimed there was a new update to install so I went through the install process. However it still appears to be running 2.80 despite saying the update was successful and claiming there are now no new updates.

Have you tried to update the firmware?

Yes I have been updating the firmware. I was at 2.80 when I checked earlier today. I went to the garmin site and it claimed there was a new update to install so I went through the install process. However it still appears to be running 2.80 despite saying the update was successful and claiming there are now no new updates.

There are newer Betas out, might try those.

However.. yes... I experienced the sticky issue on my 62s last weekend. About 4 times out of 60 caches.

It was the sticky-freezing-hanging and slow/no refresh position update, that caused me to return my 62s last fall. I figured that it was just a bad unit.

I could creep along at one foot per second, and get almost 50 ft away from the starting position, before it woke up and showed a change of about 3 ft. Tried it in all Lat/Lon selections, UTM, and User Grid set up in ft. Same results in all.

Kinda hurt when buying the latest and gratest, and it gets out performed by a yellow GPS60, that keeps up with my every movement, no matter how small or slow.

When I tried the slow moving with the Tracking set to 1 second, the circle was a disaster, but displayed a good circle when I walked 2 or 3 mph.

When I tried to average a backyard waypoint for 30 min, with the tracking time set for1 sec, all I got was a solid filled in rectangle, not a scatter plot like in a GPS60 or 60CSx.

The User Grid was was messed up about as bad as in a Triton. I put in all of the right numbers, and got blank lines. No way to use it for State Plane in Lambert. I was hoping that with the new User Grid page format, that I could get the 62s to display in centimeters, like in a Meridian or SporTrak, and compare them.

With the warmer weather coming on, I'm hoping that someone can get out and check on some of the above super slow movement problems that I had with the 62s. I figured that the sticky problems had been solved by now.

Thanks for the replies. I've now updated my GPS to the latest beta firmware version but I'm not hopeful that the sticky issue will be fixed. I suspect that if this issue was effecting all 62s then there would be more posts on this thread as well as more posts in this forum and elsewhere on the subject. This makes me think that I have a bad unit and this is hardware related. I wonder if it could be something to do with having a very early 62s?

I'll try the latest firmware and if I still see problems then I will contact Garmin.

Thanks for the replies. I've now updated my GPS to the latest beta firmware version but I'm not hopeful that the sticky issue will be fixed. I suspect that if this issue was effecting all 62s then there would be more posts on this thread as well as more posts in this forum and elsewhere on the subject. This makes me think that I have a bad unit and this is hardware related. I wonder if it could be something to do with having a very early 62s?

I'll try the latest firmware and if I still see problems then I will contact Garmin.

I am having the same problem and I have also loaded the latest firmware but not the bata and I still have the problem about one in ten caches. I find it really is a problem when I am walking a trail and then turn left or right off trail to get to a cache. It sometimes sticks at around 200feet. I love the 62 unit but this is aggravating and I hope it is addressed in future firmware updates.

I recently purchased the 62s and used it for the first time this weekend. On each search as I slowed my pace I would experience this "sticking" also. It made for an aggrevating day to say the least after spending $$ for this unit. Are others still having issues or determined a solution? I am starting to consider a return and try another unit.

I am having the same problem and I have also loaded the latest firmware but not the bata and I still have the problem about one in ten caches. I find it really is a problem when I am walking a trail and then turn left or right off trail to get to a cache. It sometimes sticks at around 200feet. I love the 62 unit but this is aggravating and I hope it is addressed in future firmware updates.

I contacted garmin about this issue. Apparently they have now reproduced it and as of 10 days ago were investigating solutions. According to garmin the distance field is not updated when moving at 0.5 mph or less.

There's a post in the 2.94 beta thread which mentions the sticky issue suggesting it's better with this latest beta. Perhaps garmin have already done some work in this area. I'll try the latest beta next time I go caching.

I contacted garmin about this issue. Apparently they have now reproduced it and as of 10 days ago were investigating solutions. According to garmin the distance field is not updated when moving at 0.5 mph or less.

There's a post in the 2.94 beta thread which mentions the sticky issue suggesting it's better with this latest beta. Perhaps garmin have already done some work in this area. I'll try the latest beta next time I go caching.

I suffered at times from the "sticky" issue myself with my 62s but I've gotta say that this latest beta version 2.94 seems to have made a marked improvement on the problem. Lately, I've been geocaching in areas where a great deal of bushwhacking has been involved. I mean, how slow can you go in those conditions? But my GPS has brought me right next to the cache everytime. Don't forget to take note of your GPS signal accuracy, as well. I start looking for the cache when I'm within 20 feet, with or without the GPS.

I've now been caching with my 62s running the latest 2.94 beta. The impression I get is that it is better than before. I haven't seen the "distance to go" stick when approaching GZ like before unless I'm deliberately moving extremely slowly. Perhaps the speed when the sticky issue happens has now been reduced significantly below 0.5mph so I'm not seeing it in practice. The accuracy under heavy tree cover was very good too taking me within 10ft of the cache. This is the first time that I've felt positive about the accuracy of my 62s.