Has this ever happened to you ?

You find a cache that's pretty challenging and elusive. How elusive you ask ? A nano in row of pine trees ( those tall, soft, slender bush type pines ), with shakey coords. The major majority of cachers who've gone after this cache have DNF'd it multiple times, some 3,4, 5 times !! Those who have found it either got help from the CO or a PAF who got help from a PAF who got help from a PAF.

So yea, it's a good one.

You become intrigued by this cache.

You go there. You find it in 10 minutes. Clean. No CO help. No PAF.

You log it.

2 months later a cacher that YOU KNOW ( and everyone else knows ), doesn't like you, AND who has DNF'd the cache previously, finds it.

He posts his found it log and in his found it log he states, publicly, to everyone on the GC.com site "Oddly, I didn't see any signatures on the logsheet for such and such date."

On the date he states YOU are the only cacher who found and logged the cache so right off the bat he might as well have just said your name and accused you of being a liar and a cheat ! You know your sig is on the log. He knows your sig is on the log but you're horrified because no one else knows your sig is on the log ! His statement is pretty much slanderous. He's publicly accusing you of cheating and lying and in a game that runs on honesty, integrity, and the good graces of others, you're, uh, HORRIFIED !

You write to the CO and ask him to ask this person to edit his SLANDEROUS comment out of his log. You describe the hide IN DETAIL and tell him how you initialed the nano logsheet.

The CO writes back to you and says "Please contact the poster directly about this."

What would you do ?

You find a cache that's pretty challenging and elusive. How elusive you ask ? A nano in row of pine trees ( those tall, soft, slender bush type pines ), with shakey coords. The major majority of cachers who've gone after this cache have DNF'd it multiple times, some 3,4, 5 times !! Those who have found it either got help from the CO or a PAF who got help from a PAF who got help from a PAF.

So yea, it's a good one.

You log it.

2 months later a cacher that YOU KNOW ( and everyone else knows ), doesn't like you, AND who has DNF'd the cache previously, finds it.

He posts his found it log and in his found it log he states, publicly, to everyone on the GC.com site "Oddly, I didn't see any signatures on the logsheet for such and such date."

On the date he states YOU are the only cacher who found and logged the cache so right off the bat he might as well have just said your name and accused you of being a liar and a cheat ! You know your sig is on the log. He knows your sig is on the log but you're horrified because no one else knows your sig is on the log ! His statement is pretty much slanderous. He's publicly accusing you of cheating and lying and in a game that runs on honesty, integrity, and the good graces of others, you're, uh, HORRIFIED !

You write to the CO and ask him to ask this person to edit his SLANDEROUS comment out of his log. You describe the hide IN DETAIL and tell him how you initialed the nano logsheet.

The CO writes back to you and says "Please contact the poster directly about this."

What would you do ?

I'd "contact the poster directly about this."

Failing that - revisit, take a picture of the log, post it with a note to the cache, and call him out on it.

Either way, you've probably taken it to a far wider audience and drawn attention to it far more through this thread than he has on a log that's only ever going to be read by the next few visitors to the cache......

I went searching for a cache, and was FTF. I even contacted the owner with corrected coordinates.

The second finder states in his online log: "It was odd to find a blank logbook".

The owner asked me if I had signed the log.

I posted a photo of the signed log, with my GPS showing the coordinates.

Tip: after signing the log, take a photo of the logbook with your signature. You never know when it will become useful!

Explanation: I don't take photos for situations like this. The photos help me remember the cache, and give me information about said cache. When I trade, the photo covers both the log and the items traded in and out. When there's something else I want to remember (like corrected coordinates), I include in the picture my GPS showing the coords.

So yea, it's a good one.

You log it.

What would you do ?

Failing that - revisit, take a picture of the log, post it with a note to the cache, and call him out on it.

Either way, you've probably taken it to a far wider audience and drawn attention to it far more through this thread than he has on a log that's only ever going to be read by the next few visitors to the cache......

I agree, if it is easy for you to return, do so and take a photo with his log to the right of yours. I only offer that advice because you seem to be the type that seeks out not only caches, but conflict with your local cachers.

Personally, I would post a note with a smiley face. If the cache owner is concerned, it's between him and me.

BTW, why would be "HORRIFIED" if you didn't do anything wrong?

I sense another "Paul Harvey Moment". Is the bespectacled dog keeping count?

[edit:content]

Edited by Don_J

So yea, it's a good one.

You log it.

What would you do ?

Thank you keehotee for the reply. I should've mentioned that we would NEVER, not in 1,000,000 years EVER contact THIS poster directly because if we did.....yea, second thoughts about broaching THAT subject here.

Sadly, we got our friends involved in the ugliness and asked them to go to the cache and photo the log. They found the cache 3 days after the SLANDEROUS POST and photographed the logsheet. Basically, they had nothing to say to the CO who stood idly by and DID NOTHING, so their found it log was blank and they simply posted their photo of the logsheet CLEARLY SHOWING our signature front and center ! This CO could've easily visited his cache, checked the logsheet and asked this person to remove THE LIE. He didn't.

In my opinion, the truth is everything. This person slandered us in his log because of personal issues and that's wrong and the fact that we had to go overboard to prove ourselves, is disgusting.

I went searching for a cache, and was FTF. I even contacted the owner with corrected coordinates.

The second finder states in his online log: "It was odd to find a blank logbook".

The owner asked me if I had signed the log.

I posted a photo of the signed log, with my GPS showing the coordinates.

Tip: after signing the log, take a photo of the logbook with your signature. You never know when it will become useful!

Explanation: I don't take photos for situations like this. The photos help me remember the cache, and give me information about said cache. When I trade, the photo covers both the log and the items traded in and out. When there's something else I want to remember (like corrected coordinates), I include in the picture my GPS showing the coords.

I've had this happen as well. Cache posted at 5:40 am. It was directly on my route to work and I hit it at 5:50. No access to a computer until I got home nine hours later. Went to log and saw that someone had posted a FTF claiming 9 am. Since it was only a half mile away, I ran back out and saw that he had signed the back side of the log, obviously never seeing my DJ on the front. Friendly private email got it sorted out, as it usually does in this area.

The photos help me remember the cache, and give me information about said cache.

OT: I try to think that I'm a pretty smart guy, but that is a great idea.

I used to be really good a hiking a trail and remembering every cache that I found. With the proliferation of power trails, on the actual hiking trails in my area, it's been hard to remember every find. Meanwhile, the camera is sitting in a pouch on my belt. I'm going to start using it.

I've had this happen as well. Cache posted at 5:40 am. It was directly on my route to work and I hit it at 5:50. No access to a computer until I got home nine hours later. Went to log and saw that someone had posted a FTF claiming 9 am. Since it was only a half mile away, I ran back out and saw that he had signed the back side of the log, obviously never seeing my DJ on the front. Friendly private email got it sorted out, as it usually does in this area.

Same thing happened to me. Except I was the one who thought he had a FTF. About 6 new caches were published. A cacher that was within a couple of miles of the caches at the time went and got them all. I signed 1 on the second page, not seeing his signature on it. Another cacher claimed FTF on two others, I didn't see the real FTF signatures on those either and so I claimed STF on those. After an email from the CO, the logs were corrected.

Do nothing. This character is clearly trying to "publicly humiliate your team" by singling you out.

But what do you expect the CO to do?

If he was there and saw the log, he can post that the log is indeed signed by you, but that is all.

reaching out to the bully will further the fight.

This is why I just don't really cache any longer.

I found games and better people to play them with.

First, let me mention that I would never know that the villain posted the slanderous statement because I don't pay much attention to caches that I found in the past.

That being said, what you could do is simply go out and take a pic of the log. Then, log a note on teh cache page stating that you did, indeed, sign the log back when you originally found it and attach teh pic of the signed log.

Unless the dastardly individual then edits his find log, everyone will know that he was lying.

First, let me mention that I would never know that the villain posted the slanderous statement because I don't pay much attention to caches that I found in the past.

What he said.

What I would not do is keep making angst-filled forum posts full of CAPS and HORROR and such. You're only calling more attention to yourself, and it isn't making you look very good.

I should've mentioned that we would NEVER, not in 1,000,000 years EVER contact THIS poster directly because if we did.....yea, second thoughts about broaching THAT subject here.

This CO could've easily visited his cache, checked the logsheet and asked this person to remove THE LIE. He didn't.

You are afraid to contact this poster, but you expect the CO to? I'm sorry, but I don't see this as the CO's job.

If this was my cache, I might check things out when I did a maintenance run, but I wouldn't make a special trip. It just isn't my responsibility.

If someone where to do that to me, I would just post a note that someone needs new glasses, my signature is clearly where he was looking.(or something to that effect,) and then just let it go. It really doesn't matter, I'm sure other cachers in your area know what this guy is like.

What I would not do is keep making angst-filled forum posts full of CAPS and HORROR and such. You're only calling more attention to yourself, and it isn't making you look very good.

I think the OP was expressing what he felt and was asking for advice.

The only time that I was aware of a log that even approached this was when someone followed my visit and posted a log stating that he did not see my signature, but did see a scrawl that looked like it began with an "A." I took it to be a comment on my handwriting, which is what it is. I was not going to get insulted either way. But the CO, who is very familiar with my signature, did post a note to confirm that it was mine.

There are some caches that I will keep on a watch list for a short period just to read what my friends might say about it. So I might have noticed the log in question. But someone who is complaining about whether there is a signature for a particular day on a nano says more about them than it would about me. I rarely date such logs in the interests of space; may be a day or two out of date in any event; and if anybody cares, they can check it out.

In some situations, it can be a simple mistake, usually having to do with the three initials when a person did not see a signature where he or she looked on a log. But here, if I had been the CO I probably would have permanently encrypted the accusatory log since it did seem to be a bit personal. But as a finder, I would not have any great expectations in anyone who would place a nano in a group of trees with shaky coordinates. So I would not have expected the CO to do anything in particular.

It seems like the factual issues were resolved with the next finder. Then to answer the question, "what would you do," I probably would let the issue go and mutter to my friends about whoever posted the accusation.

Why doesn't this other geocacher like you?

There's always more to the story on threads like this...

I almost didn't read the thread before posting, but then I figured I couldn't be the only one wondering that....

First I looked at the OPs profile to see if they were Canadian. Illinoise. Close enough. It's a seretonin thang. Not hating on Canadians one bit. I love all them hosers. :anibad:

Then I checked their participation. Very concentrated and no attends on events or they don't believe in getting cache credit for event attends. Stats blocked as well. Hmmmm...

Antisocial? :unsure: Occupation:lone wolf Location:"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." ~Albert Einstein~

OP, I'm not dissing you. I'm trying to understand why you KNOW someone doesn't like you when your participation shows that you may never have actually encountered them personally. What would motivate them to lie openly about you? Why do you (the "lone wolf") need the actualization of a social medium (forum) to call attention to something that would be easily ignored when, by all appearances, you shun most socialization.

Some people take extreme individuality as a threat and this may be the case here. Who knows. :unsure:

To me the solution is simple. Sunlight corrects seretonin defeciency if you or they have it. Don't sweat the small stuff if you KNOW you're in the right. And lastly, general awareness of cosmic truth:

To summarize our "Geocaching Tree of Angst" so far:

We have an atmosphere rich with CO2 that is represented by one atom of "Entitlement" ( C ) and two atoms of "Expectation." (O2) :laughing:

We have a rich medium for the growth of angst in our soil, which is represented by a common/general, "unawareness that this hobby is intrinsically linked to other people." :laughing:

The water (H2O) that nourishes the tree is either actual or perceived (H2) negative interaction (O) between geocachers. :D

Our tree is furtilized by misconception, misinterpretation, and misunderstanding (MMM) whether actual or deliberate. <_<

The roots of our tree are based in actual participation and experience in geocaching as an activity.... Hiding, finding, & moving trackables. :laughing:

The trunk of our tree emerges over time. It is actually just individual experience that expresses itself in this way, "I know better than YOU what geocaching is supposed/intended to be all about." :D

From there our "Tree of Angst" branches out in many directions. Some branches sprout from the trunk and some branches think they are attacking the trunk from the other side, but are seemingly unaware that they are part of the same tree. :laughing:

The named branches of our tree so far:

The Theory of Geocaching Evolution

Geocaching would be more fun for me, IF :laughing::huh:

Perceived Staunch Defenders of Everything Perceived Lame (P.S.D.E.P.L.)

Geocaching was so much better way back when

The Theory That It's the "OTHER GUY" Who Is Just Sucking the Fun Out of Geocaching

The Theory of Keeping with The Highly Subjective "Spirit of Geocaching"

The theory that with the ease of attaining apps for smartphone and Iphones, and a geocaching.com account "Low quality cachers" are infecting this game.

I should've mentioned that we would NEVER, not in 1,000,000 years EVER contact THIS poster directly because if we did.....yea, second thoughts about broaching THAT subject here.

This CO could've easily visited his cache, checked the logsheet and asked this person to remove THE LIE. He didn't.

You are afraid to contact this poster, but you expect the CO to? I'm sorry, but I don't see this as the CO's job.

If this was my cache, I might check things out when I did a maintenance run, but I wouldn't make a special trip. It just isn't my responsibility.

If someone where to do that to me, I would just post a note that someone needs new glasses, my signature is clearly where he was looking.(or something to that effect,) and then just let it go. It really doesn't matter, I'm sure other cachers in your area know what this guy is like.

While it may not be the CO's job, if I was the CO, I would be cheesed off that cachers were using the logs of my cache to attack each other. I would as a minimum contact the cacher and ask to re-state his log removing the antagonistic comments. I likely would either use the encrype this log function, of just delete the log. I guess that would likely cause more angst, so what a CO should do (in my opinion) is write the cacher a thank you e-mail, thanking him/her for notifying me of a potential bogus log; reasuring him/her that I would go and audit the cache log, and oh, by the way, could you re-word your log to remove the tip; Thanks.

The others cachers problem IMO. We're talking about a game...a pretty trivial game, also, or as my wife calls it, "you're little treasure hunt thing you do while real men work on cars or chop wood.") So, if this cacher is making enemies in a game, then they are probably just a jerk in life.

Edited by TerraViators

So yea, it's a good one.

You log it.

What would you do ?

Thank you keehotee for the reply. I should've mentioned that we would NEVER, not in 1,000,000 years EVER contact THIS poster directly because if we did.....yea, second thoughts about broaching THAT subject here.

Sadly, we got our friends involved in the ugliness and asked them to go to the cache and photo the log. They found the cache 3 days after the SLANDEROUS POST and photographed the logsheet. Basically, they had nothing to say to the CO who stood idly by and DID NOTHING, so their found it log was blank and they simply posted their photo of the logsheet CLEARLY SHOWING our signature front and center ! This CO could've easily visited his cache, checked the logsheet and asked this person to remove THE LIE. He didn't.

In my opinion, the truth is everything. This person slandered us in his log because of personal issues and that's wrong and the fact that we had to go overboard to prove ourselves, is disgusting.

The CO is letting your find stand, isn't he? Beyond that, what's the big deal? Just an observation, but you sound like a person that if someone "offends" you over the internet, you hold a grudge about it the next 10 years. Let it go, man. Be the bigger person. Take the high road. Pick your battles..or any other cliche that you can think of. Is this little dramedy really worth the anxiety? The CO didn't think so. That's why he didn't get involved.

A-yep, don't let someone else's bad attitude ruin the game for you! What matters is, you found it; you know you found it, the CO is letting your log stand, and it's all good. If that other guy wants to be a jerk, then that's his loss and his problem.

It's geocaching, it's not like you're going to lose your job because someone slandered you, or the person is stalking your child; they're just being rude. I say let it go!

Edit:

As for the OP being antisocial, I don't get that impression from her profile. I actually love that she posted all those pictures on there, they're great!

Edited by nymphnsatyr

So yea, it's a good one.

You log it.

What would you do ?

Strangely enough, something like this has happened to me. I was second to find a cache that was a fairly long hike. A few weeks later another cacher posted that he was third to log but saw only one signature in the log before his.

Either the other poster was mistaken or it is possible that when I found the cache I forgot to sign because I was excited to be second to find :unsure: The cache owner wasn't threatening to delete any logs and I knew that in fact I had found the cache.

Not being a puritan, I have a hard time seeing what the OP is so upset about. I suppose if you are so convinced that not signing the log and logging a find is such a sin, then to be accused of perhaps having done this, even inadvertently, is slander.

I have not had this happen to me, but I have had people write nasty comments in my log book. I know this because when I did my cache-up (sort of like a check-up)I found the rude comments. I tore them out of the log book and then re-wrote all of the names of the cachers who had found it on that day on another page and made notes of it. I guess some people can't keep their bad language to themselves, but must share it with others. BAD, BAD, BAD is all I have to say. Shame on them.

... <other cacher implied mean things> ... snipsnip.

Why no, that has never happened to me. I have found other geocachers in my area to be very friendly and there are very few (actually, none I can think of) I don't get along with.

Also, I don't base my self-worth on the number of caches I have found, so if somebody tried to claim I had not found a cache I would probably not notice and I certainly would not care. I am not caching to cater to or to entertain other people.

Hanging on to petty little rivalries about something as inconsequential as geocaching is one of the most mind-blowing wastes of time and energy I can imagine.

Edited by fizzymagic

I just finished reading all the replies to my question and want to say Thank You for sharing your experiences with me :D

A friend of ours once received an email from the site stating "It's NEVER appropriate or acceptable to embarrass another member." Our friend's account was suspended for 30 days for this exact reason. He "called out," another member for destroying his cache and the terrain at GZ after walking up on this member doing the deed. My friend posted a note pretty much "pointing the embarrassing finger," at this other member.

Within 24 hours my friend was suspended.

Isn't what this person did to us not the same thing ? Did he not "embarrass another member ?" He basically called us LIARS and CHEATERS. Now, think about it. Geocaching is a game that basically runs on the honesty and integrity of the players in it right ? Everytime someone logs a find the CO doesn't run out to their cache to make sure the person signed the physical logsheet do they ? No. They trust that person and they take them at their word that they signed the log and they play the game fairly and with integrity. THIS WHOLE GAME RUNS ON HONESTY and if one cacher posts a log like this cacher did about us, calling us LIARS AND CHEATERS in front of everyone, I think it should be punishable. He embarrassed us BIG TIME. My friend embarrassed another cacher and was suspended. What's the difference ?

Why do some members seem to get away with breaking the rules while others don't ? Is it because some members are watched more closely by those who don't like them and report everything they find that might jeopardize that member's standing ?

The member that posted the comment about not seeing our name on the log TOTALLY HUMILIATED US to the point where we felt we needed to defend ourselves which is why a friend went to the cache and photographed the logsheet and posted that photo on the cache page.

Why should we have to do that ? Why is it ok for him to freely embarrass others ? Is he more important than we are ? Are the rules for everyone or just some people ?

If I reported his slanderous log I GAURANTEE NOTHING WOULD HAPPEN. NO ACTION WOULD BE TAKEN. On the other hand, if I posted the same log or my friend posted the same log or john smith posted the same log and called this member a liar and a cheater, action would be taken !

There are cachers in my area who post notes all over the place embarrassing other cachers and NOTHING ever happens but if others do it, you better believe you'll see "banned member," on their profile page.

You should immediately post a note to the cache admitting that you did not find it, but that you paid someone $50 to sign your username to the log and that you are deeply upset that someone would rip you off like that. Next, have a friend visit the cache, take a picture of the log with your sig, and have them post it on the page, along with a bill for another $50.

If you let it bug you and openly admit it, then you are only allowing them to push your buttons. Keep those buttons hidden. Dont show them to anyone. Dont allow anyone to fool with them or they will just get more excited and play more.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

You should immediately post a note to the cache admitting that you did not find it, but that you paid someone $50 to sign your username to the log and that you are deeply upset that someone would rip you off like that. Next, have a friend visit the cache, take a picture of the log with your sig, and have them post it on the page, along with a bill for another $50.

If you let it bug you and openly admit it, then you are only allowing them to push your buttons. Keep those buttons hidden. Dont show them to anyone. Dont allow anyone to fool with them or they will just get more excited and play more.

Excellent advice. Kind of like that old deodorant commercial..."Never let em' see you sweat !"

What if I told you all that this same person owns 2 EXTENSIVE bookmarks created especially for us ? One of those bookmarks has ALL 205 of our caches on it. It's used to monitor EVERYTHING and ANYTHING that's posted on our 205 cache pages in the hopes of finding something, anything he can report. No one else's caches are on it. Only ours. The other bookmark created in our honor keeps track of any and all "Needs Maintenance," logs posted to our 205 caches. The bookmark owner copies all posts made to our 205 cache pages and pastes them into his bookmarks.

No one else's caches are on either bookmark. Just ours.

This bookmark owner has NEVER hunted or found a single one of our caches.

He doesn't like us. We don't like him. Who cares. Move on. Go on with your life. I'm sure there are plenty of cachers who don't like other cachers but DO THEY STALK EACHOTHER ??? We don't have any bbookmarks created for the sole purpose of monitoring his caches because WE DON'T GIVE A HOOT ABOUT HIM OR HIS CACHES !! We just want him to GO AWAY and LEAVE US ALONE but HE WON'T ! He's always there....actually, his bookmarks are always there alerting him of any activity that goes on with our caches.

If you post ANYTHING to one of our 205 cache pages, he'll show up on the audit log within 3 minutes.

What if I told you all that this same person owns 2 EXTENSIVE bookmarks created especially for us ? One of those bookmarks has ALL 205 of our caches on it.

How can you know this? I was curious, so I looked at a few of your caches. None of them are on any public bookmark lists. Maybe he created a bookmark list with your caches, but if it's not public, how can you know that?

If you post ANYTHING to one of our 205 cache pages, he'll show up on the audit log within 3 minutes.

Those audit logs are cool beans huh! After 8 YEARS I finally hid my first 3 PMO's. IIIIIII LIKE 'em. B)

But really, me thinks thou doth protest too loudly. GeoGeeBee already addressed my first question. My second question is why would you care WHO looks at your cache pages unless your caches are being regularly muggled? Seriously in the paranoia zone from my perspective. Better to not even look at the audit logs if it gets your BP up. What you're revealing to me is a very active dislike for this person that borders on unhealthy :mellow:

Excellent advice. Kind of like that old deodorant commercial..."Never let em' see you sweat !"

What if I told you all that this same person owns 2 EXTENSIVE bookmarks created especially for us ? One of those bookmarks has ALL 205 of our caches on it. It's used to monitor EVERYTHING and ANYTHING that's posted on our 205 cache pages in the hopes of finding something, anything he can report. No one else's caches are on it. Only ours. The other bookmark created in our honor keeps track of any and all "Needs Maintenance," logs posted to our 205 caches. The bookmark owner copies all posts made to our 205 cache pages and pastes them into his bookmarks.

No one else's caches are on either bookmark. Just ours.

This bookmark owner has NEVER hunted or found a single one of our caches.

He doesn't like us. We don't like him. Who cares. Move on. Go on with your life. I'm sure there are plenty of cachers who don't like other cachers but DO THEY STALK EACHOTHER ??? We don't have any bbookmarks created for the sole purpose of monitoring his caches because WE DON'T GIVE A HOOT ABOUT HIM OR HIS CACHES !! We just want him to GO AWAY and LEAVE US ALONE but HE WON'T ! He's always there....actually, his bookmarks are always there alerting him of any activity that goes on with our caches.

What if whatever. :rolleyes: Unbeknownst to me when I first posted to this thread, I happend to find out that your arch nemesis is actually a very good geobud of mine. One of my all time favorite geocachin' adventures ever was with this person. He's a good guy with a good reputation.

The reason I reveal that is that I want you to know that I speak for myself and to give you a reason to discount what I say as biased if you wish. It makes no nevermind to me.

I believe him by reputation and as a friend. I think you are paranoid and have an agenda to discredit him for whatever reason.

As I said in my first post, there is ALWAYS MORE to the story on threads like this.... :mellow: Me thinks thou doth protest too loudly.

I'm out. :rolleyes:

After reading more of this thread, it does at least on the surface appear that you are sort of paranoid, and I have to agree with snoogans. I of course don't know if that's true or not, since I don't know you, but it does appear that way from what you have posted here.

That being said, my advice still stands; try to let it go and don't let it ruin your experience; maybe take a long look and think about the situation. Are you giving this person some reasons to act this way?

Having been on the forums awhile, and after meeting Snoogans in person I trust his opinion, and if he says that this other person is a good cacher and a good person, I believe him.

Maybe contact this person and extend and olive branch. It looks like you are a fairly active cacher with great stories, maybe you can find something in common with this person. I would think that would be the most productive way of handling this rather than accusing him of all of this stuff that you can't really know for sure about.

A teacher of mine once told me about what he called "critical conversations" and the stories that we tell inside our heads. In situations like this, I try to turn off the stories inside my head, and even if I'm scared, I will just sit down and talk to the person who is bothering me, and almost every time the outcome has been positive.

And as for the original topic, no, this has not ever happened to me. 99% of cachers in my area are wonderful people. There is some drama, but we're like a big family. I can probably only think of one person who I don't choose to associate with, but I would never wish bad things upon that person, nor would I have a problem with them finding my caches, and I would probably hunt theirs, etc.

Edited to add:

If this situation did happen to me, I don't think I would get so upset about it. I wouldn't consider it to be "HUMILIATING." I guess I would just let it go unless the cache owner emailed me with concerns that I didn't sign it, and then I'd go take the picture of my log. It just seems like it's not that big of a deal.

Edited by nymphnsatyr

Yes you have a few choices. Ignore it or contact Brad W. and ask to have the log removed.

I am sure most of us have cachers who are jealous, fixated or are just love playing games with other cachers. I myself have a few. But I also have many friends. So yes, once someone else sees you did sign it will believe you, some don't even pay attention to those logs. Some may know the reputation of this other cacher, or you can go back and take a picture of the log and post it on the cache page.

. . . You log it.

2 months later a cacher . . . finds it.

On the date he states YOU are the only cacher who found and logged the cache so right off the bat he might as well have just said your name and accused you of being a liar and a cheat ! You know your sig is on the log. He knows your sig is on the log . . . .

In theory, this could happen to me, because I've been known to put the wrong date on a log. But, afaik, I haven't p-oed any other cachers to the extent that anyone would care whether I signed a log on a certain day, or on any day, or not.

Get over it.

The member that posted the comment about not seeing our name on the log TOTALLY HUMILIATED US to the point where we felt we needed to defend ourselves which is why a friend went to the cache and photographed the logsheet and posted that photo on the cache page.

There's yer problem right there. If some random log by somebody else can TOTALLY HUMILIATE you, then your life is going to be difficult.

Why would the CO get involved? If it was my cache and you sent me an email requesting I contact the other one to edit their log I wouldn't waste my time on a reply. If you don't want to contact the other person you have two choices. A) push the GAS button and move on, B ) go find all the recent finds by this other person hoping you can find a log where they are the first signature on a page, remove that page and then post you log stating the other persons signature is missing. Please let me know the caches you do this on, I really like watching a well fought flame war.

It's a game, it is not a career.

Edited by jholly

What he said.

So?

Before I give you guys the latest update on the creepy bookmarks, I have to first say THANK YOU for sharing your experiences with us !! Although I'm pretty sure none of you are being stalked and harassed by another member like we are, we've read each and every response and respect all of your individual experiences !!

So, before I post the bookmark update I wanted to show you this:

QUOTE: "Teamed up with _______ and ______ to make this find. This was the last cache of the day and we made a small detour to see what was what. Took longer than it should have to find as the previous finder was a little over zealous in the "hide it better than you found it" category. None the less we found it, replaced it as found and notified the cache owner that a check may be in order to ensure that it's hidden "as intended".

This is a found it log, word for word, posted by a friend of the member who posted the log that's the subject of this thread and owner of the bookmarks. This is what they do ! They go around posting logs stating they either didn't see our sig on this logsheet and/or that logsheet or they post logs stating we did this and/or that to a cache and they've contacted the cache owner etc...blah-blah-blah. It just goes on and on and on and on and never stops and it's all about public humiliation and trying to discredit our team.

This BS has been going on for 2.5 years and THE SADDEST thing is, these cachers are VETERANS who've been in the game FOREVER !!! If I spilled the whole truth here, which I know I can't, your toes would curl !!!!

One of those bookmarks has ALL 205 of our caches on it.

(assuming this is true. not seeing the bookmark lists you refer to)

This could be fun! For the sake of argument, we'll call this guy "Fred". Start posting notes to all your cache pages, worded to the effect of, "Hi Fred! Hope all is well!", then delete the note. Repeat every hour, on all your cache pages, for the next six months. Fred's email will fill up pretty fast!

What would you do ?

Nothing. If the owner wants to question the validity of my find, they are welcome to check the log for my initials.

We asked the CO to do just that. He wasn't interested because, uh, gee-whiz, let's see, the person in question is either a friend or too much of a "supposed," bigwig in the GC community that he would not dare to question his log or ask him to edit it even if it was the right thing to do !

That's when we learned real fast...don't rely on or expect other members to do ANYTHING to stand up for what's right....they won't because they're too worried about being popular. Do it yourself.

One of those bookmarks has ALL 205 of our caches on it.

(assuming this is true. not seeing the bookmark lists you refer to)

This could be fun! For the sake of argument, we'll call this guy "Fred". Start posting notes to all your cache pages, worded to the effect of, "Hi Fred! Hope all is well!", then delete the note. Repeat every hour, on all your cache pages, for the next six months. Fred's email will fill up pretty fast!

"Assuming this is true ?"

Guess what ? Surprise ! This PERSON removed all public links to his bookmarks 2 days after we told all of you about the bookmarks here ! Why ? Shouldn't he be proud of those bookmarks ? He's been keeping them up for 2.5 years ! Why did he suddenly remove the links from public view ? You know why and I know why. He didn't want the GC community at large to see what he was doing or find out who he is.

He might've removed the public links but that doesn't mean the bookmarks are gone. We know better than that. He made them private. He's still stalking us. How do we know ? We posted 20 notes to 20 randomly owned caches. The 20 notes read "test." All 20 times HE showed up on the audit logs for those caches within minutes.

Why, after 2.5 years did he suddenly remove the public links to his stalker bookmarks ? He doesn't want you, the GC community at large, to see him !!!

Personally I would do.... nothing. At all. I'd just go on with my life, cache, enjoy all the things I enjoy. This person is clearly a loser that wants attention, who wants drama. Who cares what they think?

On a secondary note: Why do we cache? For the fun of the find. For the fun of the hide and seeing who finds. Focus on that and leave the rest to the people that get all OCD over stats, drama, and petty politics. It isn't worth it at all.

What ever you chose to do or don't do, good luck. :3

** weee, typo edit

Edited by rav_bunneh

My sister in law and I were the FTFs on a cache but in her excitement, she forgot to put the date (and apparently most FTFs put the time too). Someone made it to the website before us and said they found it, but they weren't sure if they were first or not because there was another name. Clearly, if you see other names, surely you aren't first!

When we made it to the website and each logged our find, the other guy edited his post with no troubles.

If I were in your situation though, I'd probably ignore it. Seems the type of thing that would only get worse. And aren't there more important things to worry about?