Cheaper fines in Louisiana

LSUFan

Howdy Everyone. I found an interesting disk (at least to me) today. For CQ1171, there is only a $50 dollar fine for disturbing it. :lol:

3b3a662a-d682-4a80-8da1-b1b481992f16.jpg

It appears to be an older disk, that I thought maybe was recycled somewhat, when it was reset in 1970. Is this something that could be considered common practice?

EDIT: As I went back over my finds for benchmarks placed by the Louisiana Geodetic Survey, it appears they used several types. The one shared with the USCGS almost looks homemade.

d2c923d9-629d-4f2e-b74e-ba4154103713.jpg

fea012e3-0ccc-48d3-8b34-ea096541dd37.jpg

Edited by LSUFan

Those 2 bottom disks types were placed in every state just about as part of the WPA funding in the 30's. Lots of them were set around where I live.

Thanks Z15. That confirms my thoughts that the reset from 1970 was using a recycled disk, if the WPA types were set out in the 30's.....and helps explain the low fine.

Edited by LSUFan

Those 2 bottom disks types were placed in every state just about as part of the WPA funding in the 30's. Lots of them were set around where I live.

Thanks Z15. That confirms my thoughts that the reset from 1970 was using a recycled disk, if the WPA types were set out in the 30's.....and helps explain the low fine.

fyi

This doc summarizes work done in all states..who was in charge etc

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B2spwGyJdPXHYzU5Y2JhZTYtOTdlMy00ODRmLTlhNjEtYWUwNTlmNjE3NjZl&hl=en&authkey=CNv2kKwO

About midway thru this next doc they discuss the WPA projects

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B2spwGyJdPXHM2RkZmVhOGEtNzRlZi00ZTFjLTllNGEtY2FhMjljYWE3NWY3&hl=en&authkey=CKWq0pcP

Edited by Z15

fyi

This doc summarizes work done in all states..who was in charge etc

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B2spwGyJdPXHYzU5Y2JhZTYtOTdlMy00ODRmLTlhNjEtYWUwNTlmNjE3NjZl&hl=en&authkey=CNv2kKwO

About midway thru this next doc they discuss the WPA projects

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B2spwGyJdPXHM2RkZmVhOGEtNzRlZi00ZTFjLTllNGEtY2FhMjljYWE3NWY3&hl=en&authkey=CKWq0pcP

Thanks for those links Z15. That is interesting reading. I liked it.

I saw our own DaveD's name on the letterhead at the beginning. Apparently he does more at the NGS than just make television appearances. :lol:

I logged the recovery of AF8375 yesterday. It appears that LA must still have some older disks from the USCGS. This one had the logo of USCGS & LA Dept of Highways...........even though it was monumented in 1992 (which is a late date for the ones I have seen), and is 20 years after the USCGS became the NGS.

I guess the old saying is true and we are 20 years behind the rest of the nation.......but knowing our HWY Dept, it may have taken them 20 + years to set it. :lol:

da73a915-e4e0-4c36-996e-b45beec2a4fa.jpg

Edited by LSUFan

I guess the old saying is true and we are 20 years behind the rest of the nation.......but knowing our HWY Dept, it may have taken them 20 + years to set it. :lol:

I have visions of large warehouses stacked to the ceiling with dusty crates of disks purchased 50 years ago at a bargain rate, and still waiting to be used.

I have visions of large warehouses stacked to the ceiling with dusty crates of disks purchased 50 years ago at a bargain rate, and still waiting to be used.

Are they all stored right next to where the Ark was placed?

(Sorry, obscure reference.. I think.)

(Indy image)

You are very, very bad (meaning really, really funny). I laughed for 5 minutes. You even managed to stencil the crates. You must be a Photoshop ninja!

TillaMurphs is definitely good. Did you notice the subtle LADTD (Louisiana Department of Transportation & Development) acronym on the crossbeam near the ceiling?

The only thing missing, is all the crates full of potholes that the HWY Dept places out down here (or we think they do).

Edited by LSUFan