So. Many. Micros. @_@

I don't know if it's just in my area or what, but it seems like 80% of the new caches being published are all micro caches. Yes, it's a new cache, but it hardly seems worth the trouble to just log a micro. -_- Also, a Premium Only micro? Really? What's the point of that? I understand making Premium Only caches because they have better schwag or travel items in there, but a micro? Silly.

I like going out caching, and finding a nice mix of cache sizes. Large caches are rare (and harder to hide), which is fine, but the sea of micro caches is just plain annoying. Anyone else having this problem?

Not every location or situation calls for a regular size cache. Regulars (and smalls) have a tendency to be found by noncachers and then disappear. Micros can be hidden in more public areas. Some people like placing lots of easy caches (some of these are in nice areas others are not). Some people like finding lots of easy caches. Micro does not equal lame all the time, in fact there are lots of clever micros out there.

Honestly, if you're not after schwag or travel bugs, what's the difference in the size of the container other than the possible difficulty in finding it? It's getting more difficult to find public parks close to me that aren't already full so people are having to hide caches in areas where you couldn't put a traditional container without it getting muggled in a matter of days. Micros/Nanos are the only option and some can be downright creative!

Now a nano in the woods? That's a different story... :P

I don't know if it's just in my area or what, but it seems like 80% of the new caches being published are all micro caches. Yes, it's a new cache, but it hardly seems worth the trouble to just log a micro. -_- Also, a Premium Only micro? Really? What's the point of that? I understand making Premium Only caches because they have better schwag or travel items in there, but a micro? Silly.

I like going out caching, and finding a nice mix of cache sizes. Large caches are rare (and harder to hide), which is fine, but the sea of micro caches is just plain annoying. Anyone else having this problem?

Newly published micros - I wish GS would tell you the size in the alert. So often I get my hopes up when a get a new cache alert only to click on it to find it's a micro. I give them a quick read and if there's nothing in the description to suggest it could be unique, the new micro goes on my ignore list. If it looks like it might have potential, I 'watch' it. I also filter out micros. I'll check the favorite list for exceptional micros in an area.

The one thing that especially irks me about micros is, they take up a .1 mile radius. It's not too bad in an urban area where even a small won't fit but in a forest or suburban area with parks and woodlots, it's especially annoying to have a micro take up that space.

Honestly, if you're not after schwag or travel bugs, what's the difference in the size of the container other than the possible difficulty in finding it?

I'm into the swag, I also like a nice size logbook where I can write a little note and stamp my sig stamp into.

I think the annoying thing about micros and nanos are the logsheets. The long scrolls are a pain to unwind and rewind. The folded logsheets in some micros usually have a table printed on the sheet with tiny cells so that at least 200 people can sign in before the CO has to replace the page. For nanos and tiny-celled logsheets you need to bring along a uber fine-tip pen to write in that tiny space.

I try not to hide micros anymore; although to be honest, I have a series in town here in Junction City that's a historical walking tour, and the interesting sites where I have those caches don't have space for anything larger than a micro. Like another poster said; not every good site has space for something larger than a micro. I'm glad that I have my walking tour series, they are popular caches.

I guess I just don't mind micros that much; except in the woods... seems a little unncessary to me; but I won't complain too much. I'm in it for the hunt and being taken to a nice area. Although I do like to be able to write more than just my name in the logbook, and I like trading trackables.

I used to have a different philosophy about micros in the woods. I used to say, "who cares?" But honestly, after hiding a few I noticed that folks had a hard time finding them, and I felt like if they were going to drive way up into the mountains possibly in the snow, that they deserved something easier to find that they could possibly trade swag or TBs in... soooo I replaced every micro I had hidden in the woods with a larger small or a regular container. I even have two large sized caches out there. I feel much better about it.

Edited by nymphnsatyr

You only have to read a few threads here in the forums to find people clamoring for new rules that make maintenance of full-size, hard to reach caches more and more burdensome.

As a result, the continued proliferation is not a surprise.

Yeah, but finding swag in a nano really scares me. How long will it before a nano sized traveler is offered and then we can get beat up because our bug list is not correct?

I don't know if it's just in my area or what, but it seems like 80% of the new caches being published are all micro caches.
As others have mentioned, smaller caches are easier to hide, and tend to survive longer than larger caches. There are places around here where I've seen a series of caches hidden in essentially the same location. The larger ones are muggled quickly. Eventually, someone hides one that survives, and it's usually a micro-cache, possibly even a puzzle micro-cache.

Also, a Premium Only micro? Really? What's the point of that? I understand making Premium Only caches because they have better schwag or travel items in there, but a micro?
I didn't realize that "better schwag or travel items" was a reason for a PMO cache. That certainly hasn't been my experience with PMO caches. But other reasons for a PMO cache apply regardless of the size of the container.

Anyone else having this problem?
What problem?

Some of my favorite caches have been micro-caches. Some have been nano-caches.

I don't know if it's just in my area or what, but it seems like 80% of the new caches being published are all micro caches. Yes, it's a new cache, but it hardly seems worth the trouble to just log a micro. -_-Also, a Premium Only micro? Really? What's the point of that? I understand making Premium Only caches because they have better schwag or travel items in there, but a micro? Silly.

Please don't impress your aesthetic expectations on me. :mellow: I like choices. I appreciate the time and effort of other cachers to give me choices of caches to hunt. I choose not to hunt most caches, but NO cache is beneath my consideration if it is convenient to where I will be and my available free time.

My last 3 hides are all micros... A nano (magnetic hollow bolt), an unusual micro container in a usual micro location (hidden with my 3yo son), and a plain old micro hidden in plain sight in a kind of neat little spot. ALL are PMO's. I've found that I just love, love, love the PMO audit log. So, don't come to Houston and hunt them if you find them silly.

I find people who think their asthetic trumps all others to be silly. :rolleyes:

Put your money and your effort where your mouth is. Hide the types of caches YOU would like to find and show those problematic micro hiders who are out there participating to give you choices to hunt, how it's done properly, from your perspective. :)

Yes. What is your problem with micros?!? I've got lots of micros! Most will take you to great places and great views. Unfortunately, there is no place to hide a cache larger than a micro. So, if you don't want a micro, no matter how beautiful the spot, then ignore them! (Lots of people like them!!)

If, on the other fin, you wanta nice hike, with a few hundred feet of climb, into some great parks, usually with nice views, check out my non-micros. Lots of people enjoy then as well.

While there are a lot of micros that I do not care for, and a lot that are hidden where something larger could be hidden, don't go denigrating ALL micros. There are some great ones.

I really don't think size matters. :lol: Seriously, We have found some great micros and some not so great ammo cans. I'll take a micro that takes me to a waterfall that I never knew existed over an ammo can stuck in a thorny patch of deserted strip mine any day of the week. As they say in real estate, location...location...location. We haven't been at this very long so I don't have a perspective, but I wonder if the number (not percentage)of new regular and smalls is increasing or decreasing. Do we each still have the same number of regular caches to find with an added bonus of the micros? Or, are there actually less regulars out there than before?

Would somebody like to volunteer to go through the CCC thread and find some examples of excellent micros for the OP? Do not judge quality by size. True, many most micros are unadorned film canisters or the like hidden in inappropriate spots. But others will have you going, "WOW!"

While I agree with the basic point I had to make a little correction. :anibad:

Edited by GOF and Bacall

I really don't think size matters. :lol: Seriously, We have found some great micros and some not so great ammo cans. I'll take a micro that takes me to a waterfall that I never knew existed over an ammo can stuck in a thorny patch of deserted strip mine any day of the week. As they say in real estate, location...location...location. We haven't been at this very long so I don't have a perspective, but I wonder if the number (not percentage)of new regular and smalls is increasing or decreasing. Do we each still have the same number of regular caches to find with an added bonus of the micros? Or, are there actually less regulars out there than before?

Isn't that the truth. There are average sized containers here that I have no interest of finding because they are in another part of strip mine here. And it's like every possible dump has an a cache on it. I'd rather find a micro some place cool than another one of those ammo cans.

True, many micros are unadorned film canisters hidden in inappropriate spots. But others will have you going, "WOW!"

That's where the Favorites come in to play. I like WOW micros too. I ignore the micros that don't get at least a couple of favorite votes.

Then I read the logs for the favorited micros to see why people liked them. Still, the ratio of wow micros to uninspired micros is probably 1 to 50 (and I think I'm being generous).

Edited by Lone R

True, many micros are unadorned film canisters hidden in inappropriate spots. But others will have you going, "WOW!"

That's where the Favorites come in to play. I like WOW micros too. I ignore the micros that don't get at least a couple of favorite votes.

Then I read the logs for the favorited micros to see why people liked them. Still, the ratio of wow micros to uninspired micros is probably 1 to 50 (and I think I'm being generous).

Which is why you go "WOW!" when you find one, right?

Actually the fact that the ratio is 1 wow in 50 caches is why I don't hunt micros unless they have been recommended. I wonder if sorting PQs by favorites is a part of the upcoming updates.

I love macro and nano caches -- all caches actually. Each size has its own benefits. Also, there on Oahu island we are not blessed with unending wilderness. What we do have is unending urban sprawl and micro and nano caches allow us to have caches where otherwise we would have none.

That said I'm not saying anyone else has to love micros or nanos. I just really really enjoy and appreciate them. If you love the bigger caches, great! They are fun too. :smile:

Actually the fact that the ratio is 1 wow in 50 caches is why I don't hunt micros unless they have been recommended. I wonder if sorting PQs by favorites is a part of the upcoming updates.

In that case, let me recommend them to you.

I know this micro called "Boring micro under a table street end", and its a PMO.

Ive found some very creative micros, including:

A hollowed out magnetic bolt

A fake nano fire hydrant bolt painted the same color as the hydrant

A magnetic micro under those fence caps (they are pretty common, but for some reason I like them)

A log behind a magnetic sign saying "ADVERTISEMENTS PROHIBITED" and in small letters, it said "in courtesy of geocaching.com(This cache was voted WashingtonStateGeocachingAssociation cache of the month.

A "broken" cache that requires some handy dandy work to get out (Its more fun than it sounds)

A WP behind a fake light thingy on a beacon

A bison behind those notices on a telephone pole (took me three tries)

A micro disguised as a lego brick

A fake rock (also pretty common)

A fake fern, which was in an area with a few other ferns to blend in

A birdhouse (somewhat common, Ive hidden one)

A film canister about 20 feet above ground on a tree (4.5 star terrain, REALLY fun)

A bison tube hidden in a play sculpture/playground

A multi where there is an RO13 encrypt message on a post that tells you to go inside the library and find book XX.XX which is the log (well, its not a micro, but you can call it one)

A fake dog poop micro (Mine!)

A pincone micro (also mine!)

A bison hidden inside a sprinkler head (common)

A micro-ammo can- I loved it, from the geocaching store

And much, much more!

In that case, let me recommend them to you.

:laughing: OK wise guy.

If I get out to your neck of the woods you can point out a couple of interesting micros and I'll look for them.

Personally I love most of the nanos that I find in fact the majority of my finds are nano's I love to hunt them in urban settings, dodging :ph34r: the watchful eyes of muggles and police. I like all kinds of geocaches from the big to the small but some of my most memorable where nano's. If you don't like'em don't do'em.

I know micros and nanos have their place and some I have found have been challenging and rewarding.

I blinkie on a fence post in a town park, effectively blocking off the whole of the woods and potential trail hides, is not my idea of the best nano though.

I always find humor in this type of statement. A small/regular/large placed there "blocks off" the whole area also. Any cache that you don't like/prefer "blocks off" an area. Heck, every cache "blocks off" a 0.1 mile area.

I don't mind doing a few micros, but with so many micros and not enough larger caches it makes it hard sometimes to move TBs and coins. There's been times when I've had to hold a bug or coin longer then I like trying to find a cache to put then in.

Not every location or situation calls for a regular size cache.

Not every location or situation calls for a cache, period.

According to my wife, no location or situation calls for a cache. Luckily, the person who gets to decide whether a location or situation calls for a cache is the cache owner, not my wife.

The one thing that especially irks me about micros is, they take up a .1 mile radius. It's not too bad in an urban area where even a small won't fit but in a forest or suburban area with parks and woodlots, it's especially annoying to have a micro take up that space.

If the distance limit was reduced to 0.05 miles all you'd see is more micros.

Maybe micros should have a 1 mile limit between them, but like virtuals they should not affect other caches being placed nearby.

If the distance limit was reduced to 0.05 miles all you'd see is more micros.

Maybe micros should have a 1 mile limit between them, but like virtuals they should not affect other caches being placed nearby.

It would be fantastic if micros didn't block a swag-size cache placement, but the downside would probably be micros every 20 feet in some areas. But maybe then people will burn out on micros and people will quit hiding them just for yet another smiley. Maybe competitive cachers will be less impressed by 10000 micro smileys and the goal will shift to upping the swag-size smiley number. One can hope.

I'm one of those who shakes my head and wonders "WHY???" when people place a micro in the woods.

On the other hand, I just had a cache muggled. It's along a hiking trail in the foothills and was maybe 15 feet off the trail, up an incline, behind a large rock, covered with pieces of wood. It was a .50 cal ammo can modified so it was locked with a heavy duty 4-digit combination lock. When I place it I ended up with around $70 or so invested in the cache and contents. Some @^#&*$*#$ has found and stolen it. I'd guess it was the same jerk who left a glass beer bottle at the location. If the cache had been a stupid micro I doubt it would have been muggled.

In order to "properly" find the cache you had to first find 4 micros in and around town and write down the red and black numbers from each. Then you had to find a 5th cache that was maybe half a mile hike in the foothills. In that cache is a laminated card telling you how to use the previously collected numbers to locate and open the final cache.

The first 4 in the series are typical dumb micros but they do serve a purpose. The 5th cache is in a good place and you're quite likely to encounter quail and deer along the route. I've seen a flock of turkeys at the cache location. The final cache affords a great view back down and across the canyon. The location was chosen because of the nice hike and the excellent view

Like I said above, if the final cache had been a micro it's doubtful that it would have been muggled. I guess a locked .50 cal ammo can was just too much for someone to resist. It did have a sticker plainly identifying it as a geocache but that didn't deter the a** clown that stole it.

Nothing wrong with micro caches in and of themselves. However, micros are often chosen because they are cheap (inexpensive) and easy to toss out to hide. This leads to caches with little thought or imagination for the hide location and container. Thus, sadly, many have come to expect micro caches to not be a high quality caching experience. I tend to agree and try to seek larger caches when I can.

My issue with so many micros is that in some areas micros take up so many good spots which deserve a regular size cache. I'm afraid that if things keep rolling like this, it will be hard to place a quality mid sized cage in an area because there is already a rusty altoid micro nearby. I am really not a fan when I read "this area didn't have a cache so we placed a [micro] one".