caches and electrical boxes

JL_HSTRE

Found a cache today that got me wondering about caches and electrical boxes. The cache in question is a magnetic key case. There is a metal box of some kind that based on a sticker on the side had some electrical-related purpose, with overhang vents on the top of two sides. The mag-key was on the underside of the vents and fairly clearly visible if you looked from the right angle without sticking your hand inside. (Should've taken photos on my Droid.)

I'm no electrician. I don't have a clue what all the different kinds of electrical boxes do. I wouldn't stick my hand into a strange place that might contain live wires though. I'm aware danger is not against the guidelines. But caches like these make me uneasy in general, both from safety and from the "What happens if an electrician discovers this mysterious container?"

I've found some caches that were just metal face plates on the side of an electrical box (attached via magnets; log was in a ziplock baggie held in place under the plate) which did not make me uneasy. I guess because they blend easier and don't run any risk of reaching anywhere bad.

The questions:

1) Would any box with an electrical-related purpose be a permission issue?

2) What kind of experiences have you had with electrical-related boxes and cache hides, good or bad?

This'll get good.

I have never heard of anyone getting electrocuted while geocaching. Of course there may be no one alive to tell such a story.

:omnomnom:

There is this cache I have found- Its about 5 feet from an electric fence. This one guy got electrocuted while signing the log for the cache. Ever since that happened cachers have been extra careful to find that cache.

This'll get good.

I have never heard of anyone getting electrocuted while geocaching. Of course there may be no one alive to tell such a story.

There is this cache I have found- Its about 5 feet from an electric fence. This one guy got electrocuted while signing the log for the cache. Ever since that happened cachers have been extra careful to find that cache.

remote electrocution? now that's a first :lol:

anyway, an electrical fence might shake you a bit but you'll live happily ever after and some even say the shock will have cured any arthritis or rheumatism you may have had :anibad:

Edited by t4e

This'll get good.

Electrocuted? Or just shocked? There is a HUGE difference. I have never heard of an electric fence electrocuting anybody. The amperage is way too low for that. It can be very unpleasant (or healthful, depending on what period you look at) but not deadly.

This'll get good.

Electrocuted? Or just shocked? There is a HUGE difference. I have never heard of an electric fence electrocuting anybody. The amperage is way too low for that. It can be very unpleasant (or healthful, depending on what period you look at) but not deadly.

Lets see... GC2E01 is the one.

This'll get good.

I see the logs, including yours. While it wouldn't hurt to have the dangerous attribute set (I didn't check to see if it has been added), electric fences are not dangerous to a healthy human being. The shock is unpleasant, to be sure... but farmers often have kids and dogs running around, remember. Farm kids learn at an early age that its fun trying to get the city cousin to pee over it.

This'll get good.

I see the logs, including yours. While it wouldn't hurt to have the dangerous attribute set (I didn't check to see if it has been added), electric fences are not dangerous to a healthy human being. The shock is unpleasant, to be sure... but farmers often have kids and dogs running around, remember. Farm kids learn at an early age that its fun trying to get the city cousin to pee over it.

LOL at that last comment! :lol:

This'll get good.

I found that cache six years ago and it has been going strong for over nine years with over 350 finds. One note from a finder in 2004 that he managed to get an unexpected jolt does not equal electrocution and it certainly does not equal a dangerous cache. dry.gif

This'll get good.

i see no mention of anyone getting electrocuted, i see some lady with a toddler was there in october last year and she didn't express any concerns

the fence seems to be on since 2004 and the cache description warns the visitors

Found a cache today that got me wondering about caches and electrical boxes. The cache in question is a magnetic key case. There is a metal box of some kind that based on a sticker on the side had some electrical-related purpose, with overhang vents on the top of two sides. The mag-key was on the underside of the vents and fairly clearly visible if you looked from the right angle without sticking your hand inside. (Should've taken photos on my Droid.)

I'm no electrician. I don't have a clue what all the different kinds of electrical boxes do. I wouldn't stick my hand into a strange place that might contain live wires though. I'm aware danger is not against the guidelines. But caches like these make me uneasy in general, both from safety and from the "What happens if an electrician discovers this mysterious container?"

I've found some caches that were just metal face plates on the side of an electrical box (attached via magnets; log was in a ziplock baggie held in place under the plate) which did not make me uneasy. I guess because they blend easier and don't run any risk of reaching anywhere bad.

The questions:

2) What kind of experiences have you had with electrical-related boxes and cache hides, good or bad?

The questions:

Hi Joshism,

1) Yes, permission is often not obtained.

2) I am going to refer you to an expert - http://johnnygeo-blog.blogspot.com/.

In short - caches near electricity or that resemble electrical outlets/fuse boxes etc are a BAD idea.

Interesting responses, all.

We found one that was very interesting. An electrical box affixed to the outside of a business. It was a real D-Square® electrical service box. There was NOTHING hooked up to it, there were no wires of any kind. It was simply mounted to appear as though it were a service box. The cache itself, was a Lock & Lock stashed inside of the service box.

The caveat to the set-up was that there was a small geocaching sticker on the face of it, four-color, as in this flag:

car-flag_b1441.gif

Certainly not recognized by a muggle as anything other than what it appeared to be...

Logs of cachers reveal some of them never noticed that little sticker, hence, a number of DNF logs.

The questions:

Hi Joshism,

In short - caches near electricity or that resemble electrical outlets/fuse boxes etc are a BAD idea.

Oh, no... not JohnnyGeo again! How many geocachers were electrocuted before his blog, and how many have been electrocuted since?

The questions:

Hi Joshism,

Oh, no... not JohnnyGeo again! How many geocachers were electrocuted before his blog, and how many have been electrocuted since?

I've got nothing for you, so to speak.

The questions:

Hi Joshism,

I've got nothing for you, so to speak.

I do remember one that fell off a cliff and didn't survive the fall. I would bet that there have been fatal car accidents on the way to caches that we haven't heard about here (we have heard about one or two non-fatal ones) but I suspect that we would have heard about any geo-electrocutions.

The questions:

Hi Joshism,

Wow just read that guy's blog. Not sure how he finds the courage to get out of bed in the morning seeing as how dangerous the world is to him, lol. If a kid reaches into an exposed electrical box, well that is just natural selection at work.

A keyholder on a transformer is lame, well, because it's a transformer, and I don't know of any historic transformers, or transformers with a great view. And you can probably park within 10 feet of most of them. See, I didn't even mention any electrical hazards. :lol:

A keyholder on a transformer is lame, well, because it's a keyholder on a transformer. 'Nuf said.

what makes him an expert?

He's a Master Electrician and a Health and Safety Professional with a major power utility. It is worth reading his blog, finding the sections that speak of energized lamp posts and accidents that have occurred. Also you will see his reasons for preferring not to see caches placed in what could possibly be a problem area. Granted it is not too likely, but....the chance is there.

We recently had a problem in our city where a dog received an electric shock from a metal plate in the sidewalk - luckily he survived. JohnnyGeo's blog regarding the possible hazards opened my eyes.

Please find the relevant parts, read and form your own opinions.

This'll get good.

I don't remember exactly where I heard this:

There are 3 types of people in the world:

Those that learn by reading.

Those that learn by observation.

And the rest who have to pee on the electric fence themselves.

Let me remind everybody that this site does not police safety. There are geocaches that you need rock climbing skills for. If you don't have rock climbing skills... don't do the cache! There are caches that require SCUBA skills. Same thing goes. If you are not comfortable with a cache on a Big Green Box transformer, and your GPS is pointing towards one... turn around and get back in your car.

Now, permission issues... that is another color of horse... do you need permission to put something on a transformer that is not fenced in and could be touched/leaned upon by anybody passing by? That is a fair question. Safety is not.

I don't know the answer to your questions, but I'm assuming it's "zero" to both, since I think I would have heard if the number were otherwise.

What I do know for sure is that I recently published a microcache placement on one of those hulking big metal electric transformer thingies that you find on concrete pads behind shopping centers. The owner left me a note saying it had full permission from the business owner, who thought the whole idea of a hidden cache at his store to be quite cool. But, that is a lot more boring than speculating about electrocuted etrex enthusiasts.

I've been zapped a few times from an electric barbed wire fence, the first time was when I was younger and tried to crawl under it and brushed up against it the other times happened all at once when I went off the road and my car came to rest between the electrified barbed wire fence. It's unpleasant but as long as your in decent health there isn't any danger it's just a deterrent for animals so they don't break out of their area or occasionally to deter people from getting into an area.

We found one that was very interesting. An electrical box affixed to the outside of a business. It was a real D-Square® electrical service box. There was NOTHING hooked up to it, there were no wires of any kind. It was simply mounted to appear as though it were a service box. The cache itself, was a Lock & Lock stashed inside of the service box.
I've found a couple like that. The most recent was painted to match the structure it was attached to, and looked like it had been in place for years. Not only was it not connected to anything electrical, it was somewhere where there was no electrical service for it to be connected to.

This'll get good.

Like the other electrical hazards in this thread harm from an electric fence is unlikely but not impossible. An electric fence is unlikely to harm an able bodied person but is a risk to children and the infirm.

Toddler dies in paddock after stumbling on electric fence

Electric fence kills toddler

Note the second article list three deaths in twenty years.

The government agency investigating the death reported: "A young child tried to climb through

an electric fence used for the control of livestock on a farm. Continuous contact with the three energised elements of the fence resulted in the death of the child. As a result of this accident and others like it in New Zealand and Australia, regulatory authorities undertook a review of standard for the installation of electric fences. The revised standard has introduced additional precautions for electric fences in urban and residential areas. The regulatory authorities are also looking at reviewing the standard for electric fence energiser units. ESS is planning publicity campaign in rural areas on the safe use of electric fence energisers."

My electric fence will trip a circuit breaker if the shock continues uninterupted. Its a law around here. Can't kill yourself with one even if you were trying to do it on purpose.

In the case above it wasn't a fault condition, it was doing exactly what it is designed to do, delivering pulses. In this case to a toddler, who unlike a stock animal couldn't move out of the way. The pulses effectively paralysed the child's diaphragm and he suffocated. The circuit breaker wouldn't operate as the fence was operating normally.

A keyholder on a transformer is lame, well, because it's a transformer, and I don't know of any historic transformers, or transformers with a great view. And you can probably park within 10 feet of most of them. See, I didn't even mention any electrical hazards. :lol:

you should see the view at the transformer box at the wal*mart near me. it is absolutely STUNNING! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

what makes him an expert?

He's a Master Electrician and a Health and Safety Professional with a major power utility. It is worth reading his blog, finding the sections that speak of energized lamp posts and accidents that have occurred. Also you will see his reasons for preferring not to see caches placed in what could possibly be a problem area. Granted it is not too likely, but....the chance is there.

We recently had a problem in our city where a dog received an electric shock from a metal plate in the sidewalk - luckily he survived. JohnnyGeo's blog regarding the possible hazards opened my eyes.

Please find the relevant parts, read and form your own opinions.

there's a danger at every step we take, even in our own homes we're in danger

anyone with half a brain should know that they shouldn't play with electricity so i don't think it should take reading an expert's blog to figure that one out

like knowschad said, everyone is responsible for their own safety, if you think its not safe don't do it

This'll get good.

Like the other electrical hazards in this thread harm from an electric fence is unlikely but not impossible. An electric fence is unlikely to harm an able bodied person but is a risk to children and the infirm.

Toddler dies in paddock after stumbling on electric fence

Electric fence kills toddler

Note the second article list three deaths in twenty years.

The government agency investigating the death reported: "A young child tried to climb through

an electric fence used for the control of livestock on a farm. Continuous contact with the three energised elements of the fence resulted in the death of the child. As a result of this accident and others like it in New Zealand and Australia, regulatory authorities undertook a review of standard for the installation of electric fences. The revised standard has introduced additional precautions for electric fences in urban and residential areas. The regulatory authorities are also looking at reviewing the standard for electric fence energiser units. ESS is planning publicity campaign in rural areas on the safe use of electric fence energisers."

I stand corrected, but those are rare and extreme examples that have nothing to do with geocaching and electric fences.

No one has died of a direct result of an electrical fence in the US since 1930 unless the fence was tampered with before hand. The above story was about a toddler who 'somehow' fell against a fence a long time ago and became trapped?

There is a much greater risk of getting in a car accident or mugged then there is by being 'shocked' by an electric fence while caching. Anyone want to disagree, I'll be more then happy to have ya'll stop by and we can give a demostration. Bring a video camera and we'll post it on youtube.

Edited by A & J Tooling

I put electrical box caches in with sprinkler head caches. Just the fact that they exist results in people playing with things they shouldn't at other caches. I think that it is bad for the sport(?) of geocaching in general.

YEP! Right there with holes dug with pointy things. Not good for the game. That said, the real problem is with the varying levels of education, awareness related to personal safety, recognition of hazards and so on in individuals. I find 'electrical' object caches from time to time, and am savvy enough that a few I'll walk away from, others I'll ponder carefully to assess the situation more.

Some are just so obviously SAFE that it isn't even a threat to ME. Others may not have my skill set or experience, so I have no problem telling them to back off or forget it, or come back with someone who does have it. Say what you will, that blog has some decent information for people to use as a tool set. It may be a bit alarmist, but is that worse than telling people to exceed their training and abilities? Exercising their skills is one thing, fearing everything is another.

Anyone seen those videos of 'professionals' getting wiped off the highway side? Often by other 'professionals' too! I can't imagine why anything near an active roadway is allowed on that basis... right? Answer is, done properly they are OK if a bit lame, for hider and seeker. Done without thought or care and they can be bad, very bad. How many have had to cross a road from the only parking spot? That is way more dangerous than most things. Same side pullout hides can be quite safe and interesting too!

I'm fond of an old saying " It's a good thing to keep an open mind... but not so open your brains fall out!"

Doug 7rxc

This'll get good.

Shirley you mean "shocked," not "electrocuted." Electric fences don't carry enough current to kill anybody.

He's a Master Electrician and a Health and Safety Professional with a major power utility. It is worth reading his blog, finding the sections that speak of energized lamp posts and accidents that have occurred.

He claims to be all of those things. I'm still skeptical. The part about energized lamp posts, in particular, seems fishy to me. Every lamp post I've ever seen is securely grounded. It doesn't seem possible that one could remain energized for very long.

This'll get good.

Shirley you mean "shocked," not "electrocuted." Electric fences don't carry enough current to kill anybody.

He is most likely referring to the fact that if an electrical fence is within 6 feet of a power line, there could be an arc if something metal came between the two. It is a requirement to keep these two items seperate for this exact reason. If this is not the case, I call it BS.

He's a Master Electrician and a Health and Safety Professional with a major power utility. It is worth reading his blog, finding the sections that speak of energized lamp posts and accidents that have occurred.

He claims to be all of those things. I'm still skeptical. The part about energized lamp posts, in particular, seems fishy to me. Every lamp post I've ever seen is securely grounded. It doesn't seem possible that one could remain energized for very long.

The lamp post piece is true. It really has been an issue in Seattle in recent months.

Linky

The industry average for contact voltage potential is 0.3 percent. City Light's testing found about 0.13 percent of its equipment had contact voltage above 30 volts. While the industry standard for a hazard is 50 volts, City Light set a lower threshold as an added safety measure.

source