Prepare me for a Power Trail!

Recently about 5 days ago, the geocaching delaware commission (The official geocache admission funded by the state to bring more people to the state) hid a power-trail of 50 caches. Now here's the thing, I've ALWAYS wanted to do a power-trail. I keep hearing about all the fun people are having, but this is the first legimate power-trail within an hours drive from me. Each one is exactly the same hidden in the same way for all 50 from one side of delaware (Horizontally) to the other. THE BEST PART IS THAT YOU CAN DRIVE TO EACH ONE AS THEY ARE ALL ON A ROAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can someone tell me what to expect? How should I do this? I'm really clueless as I've never done a power-trail before.

Thanks!

First cache in series

http://coord.info/GC2T6KY

Picture

Delawarepower.jpg

Edited by Coldgears

This one appears to be on a nice walking trail along the water, so you should enjoy it. The ususal preparations, fluids, carbs, comfortable shoes or a bike.

You guys have it wrong, this is made to be a by-car trail. Not a walking trail, your liable to get hit walking down this highway.

If I thought a walking-only power trail was a true powertrail then I wouldn't bother with this trail 60 miles from me I'd do the SRT trail of 100 caches 18 miles from me instead. Incidently I tried this trail and looked for 10 or so and gave up.

walkpower.jpg

I did some research and the Canal, I kid you not, is seriously called the C & D canal. (Chesapeake and the Delaware) or Cache and Dash to cachers.

But seriously, look at this picture. It is a highway, that goes on for miles, there is literally nothing to see, and it's in the middle of basically nowhere. Not many cars use it.

powerigh.jpg

Experientially I am a bit of a lightweight in the Power Trail game. A mere 5 trails one of which was the E.T. Trail. However, I will chime in.

Follow the rules of the road, and you should be fine - exercise caution while transitioning off and back onto the road. Be alert for Curtis and his Nevada snow plow.

I would strongly suggest a partner riding shotgun and babysitting the GPS'r (s) while you do the cautious driving thing.

More folks in the Geo-Rig means more fun.

It Could be that these people are suggesting that it would be a better experience by foot or by bike.

You can see by the responses to the other power trail threads that a lot of people here aren't into that sort of thing.

A lot of us enjoy caching for the exploring, finding new places, discovery and adventure, not just a mad dash down a road to see how fast you can stick a sticker on a log every tenth of a mile.

Besides, you would need find someone to drive you if you went by car, my young friend.

But since you asked,

People usually get stickers to stick on the logs. Make them small. They can be initials, and then post in the logs online that you signed with your initials.

People often do a log swapping thing on power trails. Many other people really think this is awful. It should never be done without the CO's permission. With a power trail that short it really isn't necessary in this case anyway.

Bring water, food and at least one friend.

On the longer power trails people often take one person to drive, one to navigate and one or two to sign caches.

This is a short power trail that really doesn't require that much preparation. I've done 30 caches in a day that was not a long day, and they were spread all over town. We even got a late start. I did 70 in a long day, but those caches were all over town too.

50 caches all lined up in a row will be an easy day.You don't need to go to great lengths to do them.

Take a bike. It will be a much more rewarding experience.

Regarding logging, A small self inking stamp works well ... adhesives on some stickers give out over time leaving loose stickers in the containers and the log sheets turn into a gummed up mess.

PLEASE avoid tiny slips of paper to insert into the containers they are a pain in the keester, invariably fall out contributing to geo-litter and once gone you are without proof that you were there.

The reason I'm not taking a bike is mostly because I want to experience a power-trail. Sure it's not on the level of The God trail or ET. But I think it's an experience to rush out of your car sign the log as quick as possible and jump back in for the next one. It's something i probably wouldn't want to do more then once, but I'm always up for trying something new. By "prepare" me I kind of meant tips for making this go along faster, I only found 250 some caches, which means I have 5 50's so doing that in a day is a big deal, so I need to speed this up to get it done in a couple hours as I don't want to waste my whole day on it.

Thanks for a few of the tips, i'm going to go to a local store and buy a batch of 100 pre-made stickers because it takes forever for me to log my name by pen.

I'm stunned. Shocked that Groundspeak is encouraging this type of "caching" by publishing this series of caches that encourage all the bad elements of geocaching.

NOTE: there should NOT be any DNF's. Take a few spare micro containers and logs with you. If you find a cache is missing, just replace it (claiming a find) and move on--better for you and much less work for the Commission!

You can’t get the big numbers here but you can make a speed time trial on this mini Power trail to see what you are capable of.

Please log the number of people in your team and the total time it took you to complete all the C&D caches.

Log all of your informatin only for C&D 01 or 54 (first and last cache) and just do a simple cut and paste log for the other caches. Generally The Commission does not pay any attention to the high volume of logs on the other caches.

Throwdowns, speed, competition, and cut-and-paste logging...who exactly is this "Delaware Geocaching Commission"?

I'm disgusted.

I'm stunned. Shocked that Groundspeak is encouraging this type of "caching" by publishing this series of caches that encourage all the bad elements of geocaching.

NOTE: there should NOT be any DNF's. Take a few spare micro containers and logs with you. If you find a cache is missing, just replace it (claiming a find) and move on--better for you and much less work for the Commission!

You can’t get the big numbers here but you can make a speed time trial on this mini Power trail to see what you are capable of.

Please log the number of people in your team and the total time it took you to complete all the C&D caches.

Log all of your informatin only for C&D 01 or 54 (first and last cache) and just do a simple cut and paste log for the other caches. Generally The Commission does not pay any attention to the high volume of logs on the other caches.

Throwdowns, speed, competition, and cut-and-paste logging...who exactly is this "Delaware Geocaching Commission"?

I'm disgusted.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ The State Chamber of Commerce $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

:tired: yawn :tired:

I love how people hijack threads to speak of their opinions when all the OP whats is a little advice.

OK, power trail. Running mad dash from the car, cache to cache, is exhausting. With a short trail like this you can do it in no time. With a friend or by yourself. I did the trail down near New Orleans by myself, didn't do the mad dash (well, only when it started to rain) but it was fun until to 30th or 40th, as it gets really repetetive.

Longer trails like the ET or 66 was fun with another cacher. Though exhausting, we had a blast, due to just telling stories and at times getting stumped because one of us looked in the wrong spot and the other had to come out and help.

Judging by this trail, the turn off looks to be very narrow. You MUST get all wheels off the road. And as narrow as it looks, it would be safer and easier on bike.

Have fun, figure out if you like a power trail, or not and cache on.

The reason I'm not taking a bike is mostly because I want to experience a power-trail.

Experience a power trail?

Try this:

1. Prepare a film can with a magnet on its side, a log sheet inside. Have a few extra logsheets.

2. Find a long road that doesn't see much traffic and you can easily stop along.

3. Prepare a GPX with waypoints every 0.1 miles. Load it into your GPSr.

4. Stick the geocache on the side of your car, passenger side.

5. Drive down road. Stop when your GPSr says so. Get out, leave engine running, walk over to other side, retrieve cache, sign log, replace, get back into car.

6. Repeat 5 until you decided you have enough.

I'm not a power trail hater. I don't think much of the word "experience" as it has been overused since Windows XP.

I love how people hijack threads to speak of their opinions when all the OP whats is a little advice.

OK, power trail. Running mad dash from the car, cache to cache, is exhausting. With a short trail like this you can do it in no time. With a friend or by yourself. I did the trail down near New Orleans by myself, didn't do the mad dash (well, only when it started to rain) but it was fun until to 30th or 40th, as it gets really repetetive.

Longer trails like the ET or 66 was fun with another cacher. Though exhausting, we had a blast, due to just telling stories and at times getting stumped because one of us looked in the wrong spot and the other had to come out and help.

Judging by this trail, the turn off looks to be very narrow. You MUST get all wheels off the road. And as narrow as it looks, it would be safer and easier on bike.

Have fun, figure out if you like a power trail, or not and cache on.

He doesn't drive (too young), may of us know that and that has influenced some of the replies.

There is no place to pull off. These are just narrow dirt "roads" at multiple levels on both sides left from the dredging (and re-dredging/widening) of the canal over the years. They can be a mess in the rain and very dusty in the summer.

CG, the best way to do this really would be by bike (mountain.) We've biked both sides of the canal dozens of times over the years and sailed through it a few times. Assuming the increased traffic caused by this [rant] travesty[/rant] isn't too bad, it's a nice quiet place with a fair amount of wildlife. I doubt your non-caching chauffeur will be too happy with this activity and as long as you need to rely on others for transport you might want to consider what they will find fun about this.

If someone else is driving offer to compensate them extremely well for their gas on this trip. I'd be more likely to do it on bike because jumping in and out of a car is more hassle than it's worth. Haven't done a power trail but have done enough of the in and out of car things over the years. Also the price of gas makes it hard for me to justify driving cache to cache.

I love how some power trail lovers whine every time they learn that their are folks with differing opinions then theirs. :rolleyes:

Back on topic: To the OP. Since I don't know your particular geocaching aesthetics, I really can't offer any opinions on what will help you, and what won't. Since you did ask for opinions, the most I can give is the advice that would help me survive a power trail. The greatest threat is to your mind. You simply cannot imagine how tedious it is to do one of these power trails until you experience it first hand. I did a power trail near Lakeland Florida some time ago. It only had 36 caches in it. By the 3rd or 4th one, I was ready to find something else to do. Since we drove a couple hours to do that one, my buddy and I discussed our options. We opted for coming up with ways to keep the run as interesting as possible, and pushed on. The most important thing, (in my opinion), has already been mentioned. Bring a friend. Having a companion can make all the difference. An MP3 player stuffed with really good music will help keep you in good spirits. On the run we did, the containers were not completely identical. We made a guessing game out of what color base, and what color lid, the next film can would be. We decided, to combat boredom, we would each exit the vehicle, make the search, and sign the log. This added some time to our run, but since we weren't looking at setting any records, we were OK with that. These steps helped us, but by the time we were done, we were so incredibly bored that anything which would offer up some excitement would have been welcome. If I had to do it again, I think I would bring a cattle prod with me, so we could shock ourselves as our eyelids started drooping.

Good luck!

I'm disgusted.

I tend to agree here. Nevermind the stance one takes on power trails, this seems like it's against a few points that Groundspeak seems to address. I wonder if it was listed this way to be reviewed initially.....

Do with some friends which is "the experience" since the caching will be pretty boring.

Do not try to make it a competition; it is not; it's just an experience.

Drive slowly and save the brakes.

Have fun, and when you are done, get some nearby caches in the area. If you have never tried to do a "100 cache day", this would be a good day to do it.

Doesn't look like much of a road to me.

Coldgearspowertrail.jpg

This is where the street view vehicle tuned around near one end of that power trail.

That's what I saw, too, but on the cache page for the one that CG linked to, it says:

"You can drive to less than 20 feet from all the caches."

It also says, "just do a simple cut and paste log for the other caches."

Sigh...

Do with some friends which is "the experience" since the caching will be pretty boring.

Do not try to make it a competition; it is not; it's just an experience.

Drive slowly and save the brakes.

Have fun, and when you are done, get some nearby caches in the area. If you have never tried to do a "100 cache day", this would be a good day to do it.

That is some good advice, particularly the first one.

I just took my first stab at power trails this weekend. First one, by myself, driving along, stop get out, look, maybe find, sign, get back in and drive another 510', repeat, repeat, repeat. Kind of a pain. Today, had my son drive. Much easier, but still set a limit. Ended up with about 24 and will save the rest for another day.

Edited by GrateBear

Not every power trail has identical containers the length of the trail....Sun Valley Parkway outside of Phoenix has many different cache containers. We have done 1/3 one day (about 42), 1/3 another day (about 46) and we have another 50 or so to go....we laugh, search, run, walk, laugh some more, stop for a picnic, and have a great time....I am not caching to get numbers, I cache because of the experience of the day...both days were a lot of fun and VERY memorable....so don't poo poo power cache trails....if you cache for fun and the experience - then power trails could fulfill this desire.

If you are going to do a trail use a car that's easy to get in and out of. Use a stamp or a sticker for the logs. :yikes:

Power trails aren't my thing but since we live near the Rte 66 power trail, the 1st Mate and I went out to do it. Driving and stopping, driving and stopping, driving and stopping and it didn't take long to become bored to death. Every cache was the same expect for one which was in a little differnt hide spot, so it got a favorite point. After 60 or so we called it quits and went home. :sad:

The reason I'm not taking a bike is mostly because I want to experience a power-trail. Sure it's not on the level of The God trail or ET. But I think it's an experience to rush out of your car sign the log as quick as possible and jump back in for the next one. It's something i probably wouldn't want to do more then once, but I'm always up for trying something new. By "prepare" me I kind of meant tips for making this go along faster, I only found 250 some caches, which means I have 5 50's so doing that in a day is a big deal, so I need to speed this up to get it done in a couple hours as I don't want to waste my whole day on it.

Thanks for a few of the tips, i'm going to go to a local store and buy a batch of 100 pre-made stickers because it takes forever for me to log my name by pen.

Why would you even consider doing something that you would consider to be a waste of your day if it took more than a couple of hours? :blink:

A power trail of 50 caches shouldn't be more than about five miles. On a bike you could do the entire thing out and back in an hour without breaking a sweat. Add another hour for stopping and signing the caches and you have your two hour power trail plus a teeny bit of exercise. dry.gif

If you walk at a typically slow speed of three miles per hour it would take you about five hours to do the whole thing out and back.

Even though this is what I consider to be a short power trail, it WILL get tedious. Bring friends! It makes it much more fun; that's the advice I have. If you're interested in setting time records for yourself, bring a stop watch and have one of your friends keep time and see how many you can find in an hour; etc.

Personally, I think this one looks like more fun on a bicycle or on foot, I agree with the previous posters on that one; but if you want to do it in a car, that's your choice; and I have nothing against that.

Have fun! The few series we have around here may have the same type of containers, but the manner of hiding is not always the same. Add to the fact they're on logging roads taking us into the back of beyond, seeing some beautiful sites (and a few clear cuts :( )we don't mind them. We make sure there's plenty of gas in the tank, food and drink and extra clothing.

This one appears to be on a nice walking trail along the water, so you should enjoy it. The ususal preparations, fluids, carbs, comfortable shoes or a bike.

You guys have it wrong, this is made to be a by-car trail. Not a walking trail, your liable to get hit walking down this highway.

If I thought a walking-only power trail was a true powertrail then I wouldn't bother with this trail 60 miles from me I'd do the SRT trail of 100 caches 18 miles from me instead. Incidently I tried this trail and looked for 10 or so and gave up.

No I think you have it wrong. Power trails don't discriminate on the basis of the chosen method of transportation. However if you prefer to ride rather than bike or walk then looks like this one is for you. I'd hazard a guess that jogging the trail would be faster than biking or driving. Saves the hassle of getting in & out of the car, or on and off the bike. Jog 200+/- meters... rest while you sign the log and do it again. Sounds like a really super day.... <_<

Edited by edscott

I did a driving power trail with film cans the other day. It was my first and will be my last. My god how boring, its more work than fun. I'm down for a decent trail series that has some variety, but not this kind ever again.

So I'd recommend bringing a magazine.

Edited by LukeTrocity

I'm disgusted.

GEEZ get over it, don't like it don't do it....end of story let the people that enjoy them do the trails.

Scubasonic

Oh, great. An official state sponsored powertrail.

Since they don't pay any attention to the logs, I could rack up 50,000 finds and declare myself king of the world! It's funny how Groundspeak is so adamant about the 528 foot rule yet still endorses nonsense like this.

Since they don't pay any attention to the logs, I could rack up 50,000 finds and declare myself king of the world! It's funny how Groundspeak is so adamant about the 528 foot rule yet still endorses nonsense like this.

Yup. And so much for personal responsibility when it comes to cache maintenance, too. Wash your hands of it right from the start, right there on the cache page, and be done with it.

Take a couple of friends whose company you would enjoy no matter what you were doing.

If the caches suck, you still had a good time with your friends.

If the caches do not suck, you and your friends will have an experience to share for your lifetimes.

Yep!

Yup. And so much for personal responsibility when it comes to cache maintenance, too. Wash your hands of it right from the start, right there on the cache page, and be done with it.

Well, I'll tone done the rhetoric a little for the lovers of this stuff. I will say that it's very disappointing to see a State-sponsored entity having all that stuff on the cache page about "speed caching", absolving themselves from maintenance, and encouraging throw-downs. However, on the bright side, I'll bet this trail and this thead did inspire this well-known New Zealand based blogger to write an amusing spoof with a 10,000 cache State-sponsored power trail.

Oh, and good luck Coldgears. Do it by bike. :D