Mark as Found or Not

30inEden

Hi fellow cachers

Had this topic on my mind for a couple of days now, but cant find any previous post that had the answers. My question is this, How many of you cachers mark as FOUND on your own caches or on a cache that you have replaced?

I have seen a few do this, but to me its a bit of a moral battle to do it.

Just like to see some other views on it.

Thanks

30inEden

IMHO one should never post a FOUND on your own cache, exception being an event cache. I think you will find that most cachers feel this way however there are those that do log finds on their own caches and come up with a million reasons to do so. There's nothing stopping you doing it on GC.com and so I guess if you think you should then you could....

But know that your actions will be frowned upon :anibad:

I second what GlobalRat says. There are many people who will say they "if thats how you want to play the game then that it up to you" but I think if you do that then you're just trying to boost your numbers and not actually playing the game. Because at its most basic level, the game is about going out and finding something that SOMEONE ELSE has hidden.

The exception is events, as GR said, because you are still attending them and if for some reason you can not attend your own event at the last minute, then you can not log an attended for it.

In my opinion, claiming a find on a cache you have replaced on behalf of the cache owner is perfectly fine if...

1. You have asked the owners permission to do so AND confirmed with them that where you are looking is the correct spot and that it IS really missing.

2. That you replace it with something similar, and in the same place, as instructed and or confirmed in 1 above, by the cache owner, so that others may also come and find the cache.

Replacing a cache without the owners permission or simply sticking a piece of paper in a ziplock bag because thats all you have on you, is not acceptable. If you can not replace it properly, then log a DNF so the owner can do maintenance.

Another time one can logt your "own" caches is when you have found a cache - and then the original cache owner asks you to adopt them because they have moved - or something similar.

A case in point is I have a few here in Abu Dhabi that a cacher has moved on to Australia - and asked me to take them over. But I found them a year are so back - and my log still stands - although the cache is now owned by me.

Another time one can logt your "own" caches is when you have found a cache - and then the original cache owner asks you to adopt them because they have moved - or something similar.

Correct, assuming you have found it before adopting... would be difficult otherwise I suppose :rolleyes:

Cool, great to see others agree. I'm not even prepared to log a Found on a cache that I have replaced on behalf of CO, just due to the fact that I know where I have placed it, and thus not "found" it.

btw, what do you do when then owner gave you the OK, you replace the cache, give him the OK and he does not enable and update the listing again? we have sent mails after where he confirmed and thanked me, but still no update. Do i send an adoption request to him?

btw, what do you do when then owner gave you the OK, you replace the cache, give him the OK and he does not enable and update the listing again? we have sent mails after where he confirmed and thanked me, but still no update. Do i send an adoption request to him?

This starts venturing into the realms of "hard work" (putting in effort with no positive feedback). The return on investment gets too low. I would post a note on the cache page stating that I have re-enabled the cache with permission (so that others who read the logs may know it is up and running). If it is in a worthy spot (and a worthy cache) I would put in an adoption request and if there is still no response I will get the greener pastures process going with a SBA (should be archived - which alerts a reviewer). It often happens that cachers' interest/enthusiasm wanes - which is a perfectly natural thing. You neeed to do what you feel comfortable with.

What is the point in that?

You will just create skewed numbers in your "Find" section...

There are a whole lot of caches to be found out there...

Rather go and chase those down, and know that your "Find" number is accurate...

And that way you won't be at the receiving end of the gossip corner at Events...

I will never "find" my own caches...

I seem to remember this topic being covered in another thread somewhere.

But generally speaking, it is frowned upon because if you hid it, then you can't find it because you already know where it is. The exception to this is your own event caches because you will attend those, and if at the last minute you can't, the you can't log that you did.

100%. Thanks for the opinions and the link. I shall close this thread as soon as I figure out how.

You guys do make valid points. The only reason why I was asking, is because of the distances to our nearest caches... apart from the ones we own. But I hear what you say, and what prevents someone then from visiting his own caches 100 times? That would not be cricket...

Thanks you.

There are some exceptions to the rule I think:

Exception 1:

I have found a cache a long time ago, and then later adopted it. Then I have "found" my own cache from the adoption

Possible Exception 2:

I had a cache in PE, which I wanted to archive. I received a request from someone who wanted to adopt it, which we did as well.

Then the cache was moved, due to it being muggled often. I think.. since it is in a new location that I can "find" it now. As it is a legitimate search for the cache.

BTW: I still need to go and find it.. possibly on my next trip to PE.

Any comments?

How does the community feel about discovering or grabbing items from the cache you have hidden to take somewhere else? Would that fall within good caching behavior?

I guess by this you are referring to TBs and coins - no problem with that in my opinion, but to just move other stuff around seems to have no purpose.

Sometimes a traveler will get stuck in a cache you own then it is perfectly acceptable to take it and move it along.

How does the community feel about discovering or grabbing items from the cache you have hidden to take somewhere else? Would that fall within good caching behavior?

I agree with Tom, TB and coins are ment to be moved along. The grabbing can become an issue, ask me, I know.... Before grabbing a TB or Coin, first send the person that currently holds the item a mail and ask them to drop it in the cache mentioned. Some cachers don't log that same day or might forget about a TB that they are holding. If you don't get response in a timely manner, just inform the owner and then you may grab and continue the item on their journey.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

100%. Thanks for the opinions and the link. I shall close this thread as soon as I figure out how.

You guys do make valid points. The only reason why I was asking, is because of the distances to our nearest caches... apart from the ones we own. But I hear what you say, and what prevents someone then from visiting his own caches 100 times? That would not be cricket...

Thanks you.

Hi Vryburgers

Well, no one should relog any cache as a found more than once, irrespective of whose cache it is.

If you visit someones elses cache that you have found in the past, to drop off a TB, take a friend etc, you must add a note, not log as a find :)

cheers

I think it is acceptable/reasonable to log a find more than once if the original cache was moved (for whatever reason) to a substantively new location and therefore had to be re-found. I have done this for two cache finds.

what is the point of that, your stats now show "920 Finds on 918 unique Geocaches"

as far as i know a cache can't be moved to a "substantial" new location, any change in coordinates alerts the reviewers and anything over the saturation guideline can't be done without the reviewer anyway, in which case they recommend the old be archived and a new one placed

I agree with what is said above...

TBs and Coins are meant to travel, so it really doesn't matter if it is your cache or not - if you visit the cache to retrieve the TB, it gets a 'checkup' and some maintenance can be done, if needed, in the process. :)

I'd be all too happy if an owner of a cache would pick up my TB and move it along. :)

Yes, just don't log your visit as a find, only post a note (or even a maintenance note if you did maintenance as well).

I happen to have one of those caches.

Again in PE.

Its Recife Vista (GCRT26)

As per the cache listing, if one found the old cache at the old location one could find it again at the new location.

I also claimed a FTF for the find at the new location...

Seems like all the strange caches happens for me in PE. :anicute:

I think it is acceptable/reasonable to log a find more than once if the original cache was moved (for whatever reason) to a substantively new location and therefore had to be re-found. I have done this for two cache finds.

what is the point of that, your stats now show "920 Finds on 918 unique Geocaches"

as far as i know a cache can't be moved to a "substantial" new location, any change in coordinates alerts the reviewers and anything over the saturation guideline can't be done without the reviewer anyway, in which case they recommend the old be archived and a new one placed

As an example - Keyser's Cache - GC1V096. Found it - then it got muggled - was moved to completely (substantively) different location (ie. not the same kind of hide) - found it again. In other words, it was effectively a new cache.

The only reason why I was asking, is because of the distances to our nearest caches...

Try to get others (friends / colleagues / family) interested in Geocaching that lives in your area...

Hand them your GPS, explain Geocaching to them, and let them find your caches...

Hover around in the background, and enjoy their excitement when they do find it...

Hopefully you passed on the virus, and they will be eager to go and find more...

And before you know it you might have a small caching community going in your area...

Next thing you know, they will want to place caches of their own as well...

Problem solved... You'll have caches to find right there on your doorstep...

As an example - Keyser's Cache - GC1V096. Found it - then it got muggled - was moved to completely (substantively) different location (ie. not the same kind of hide) - found it again. In other words, it was effectively a new cache.

and that is the point i was making, it should have been a new listing

i honestly don't care how many times people want to log a cache, i just don't see the point in doing so for the same listing no matter where it moved...it absolutely makes no difference to your finds except an artificial inflation of the total

Edited by t4e

If I return to a cache I write a note. As was the case in Bloem on the record caching trip. As part of the team I found 144 although only 108 were new to me. The thing was that even though 36 were already finds for me, I still had to find them again on a few occasions. and I would say maybe 70% of them were new to me as the containers were changed or hidden in a different place to where I found them. But the ruling I put on that is, I logged it as a find before on that particular GC number. If I logged it as found, I do not log it again.

If one logs finds on their own caches, which you can, it would only be cheating yourself. The aim of the game is to find hidden caches, not find ones you have hid.... although sometimes I have had to search for my own caches....

I started off in a area with only 3 caches.... today there are over 50, granted a lot are mine, but then that brought about other cachers... and they began placing caches... it is best to place a few to encourage others to become involved, then you can sit back and enjoy....

As an example - Keyser's Cache - GC1V096. Found it - then it got muggled - was moved to completely (substantively) different location (ie. not the same kind of hide)- found it again. In other words, it was effectively a new cache.

IMHO if this was the case, the cache owner should have created it as new cache listing. If it's the same listing... well then it's still the same cache. Sometimes a cache needs to be moved due to muggling, environment changes etc. but it's still the same cache. Where does one draw the line of "acceptability"? 10m, 100m, 1km? Keep it simple, same listing, still the same cache, don't log again. Just my 2c.

We did a cache in Namibia many years ago outside Walvis Bay. A year later we returned to Namibia with the Trickies on holiday. In the interim this cache had been muggled and had been moved - 8.5km's away! We signed the log.

On our return home we contacted the owner and asked if it was allowable to log this cache as found. We received no reply from him so asked on the Forums what other cachers thought. We even contacted our reviewer at the time.

The verdict: IT HAS THE SAME GC NUMBER AND THUS IS THE SAME CACHE!

So no 'found' was logged.

Edited by cownchicken