Cache wrongly achieved.

http://coord.info/GC2EWD1

Recently a cache I've had on my "to-do" list has been wrongly achieved.

Two logs were posted asking the reviewer to achieve it.

"DRTrack and I parked out cachemobile and took a short stroll into the woods. We were looking around for a couple minutes and were interrupted by a local policeman. He told us to get out of the woods - it was a no trespassing area. He told us the homes next to the woods had been robbed and they were patrolling the woods for suspects. If this is a "no trespassing" area, this cache should be removed."

"Cosmogirl and I stopped by just as our GPSr's changed to the night screen. We no sooner got to GZ and we hear a voice from behind us! Flashlight in hand, a Beverly policeman was asking what we were doing. OK, no big deal. It's not like we haven't heard THAT question countless times before. The BIG difference this time...THE AREA IS CLOSED!!!! As in, to quote the man..."NO TREASPASSING". He said he was going to let us go, but they have recently arrested people for being in these woods. Why? Several of the homes backing the woods have been broken into and the police are patroling the area with hope of finding the thieves."

This is obviously only temporary, and only needed a short-term disabling while the thieves are being caught. The woods themselves have nothing wrong with it. I've been to those woods before, completely public land. In fact, plenty of other caches have been/still are hidden there. There's still one there today... Why is that not achieved?

The real issue is, the CO, while still in the sport, doesn't like to take care of his caches. I doubt this cache will be unachieved, and it's a shame too. All that was needed was a little communication between the CO and the police while this was sorted.

I'm thinking I'm going to let the CO know that this cache can be unachieveable by contacting the reviewer, maybe he doesn't check his cache logs... But, I feel there is nothing that can be done.

Lots of achievements there...

I don't think anything has been achieved though...... :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: (seriously ROFLing here)

Looks like a cacher may have over ACHIEVED here, guess that is better than under ACHIEVING! :anibad::D:P:lol::blink:

I hoped some education was achieved through this, but seeing as even the reviewer said that it was unachievable, all my hopes are lost :laughing:

Edit: yeah, that :laughing:

Edited by dfx

Lets not be the spelling police here, as tempting as that may be. It's pretty obvious that archive was what the OP meant.

Of course the CO could appeal the archive by providing evidence that the cache is on publically accessible la for even providing formal approval. But... The archive was understandable due to the circumstances. No need to create more police contacts for unknowing cachers.

I'd suggest scratching this off your list and maybe sending a note to the CO that you'd love to see the cache recreated somewhere else.

I guess enough fun has been made of the misspelling already, so I'll let that go with a casual smile, and just say that you'd think they would appreciate having cachers in that area, if burglary has been an issue. I suspect that burglary has been a problem in part because the burglars have a nice, secret little spot to observe the comings and goings of the neighborhood. But, if it truly is a private property, and not simply being patrolled by the police while there are problems in the neighborhood, then there is an obvious problem, unless explicit permission has been given. And since the cache owner doesn't seem to be around to provide that information, the reviewer hasn't much choice.

Coldgear's misspelling was nothing compared to the cache page!!

nice orange top were alot of bug spray

hidden well. when found put back aka-read in scary vocie The name of the dead mans sskull is mr dead mans skull the 1st. he has 4 brothers But there skulls has not been found yet. The story takes place back in the old wild west when the 5 brotheers were all yong. They didnt like each other they hade a mean look on there face every time they saw each other beter men there were if u ask me. but why it stated back in when there were kids they even didnt like each other then beter to each other TO BE CONTINUED

:blink:

Looking at the Bing Birdseye picture of the area, it sure would appear to be a public area. The cache seems to be near a dead-end road, in woods that have what looks like trails running through it, and at least one other cache in it. WHOOPS!!! I guess I should say, one other cache that may be "achieved"!!

Looking at the Bing Birdseye picture of the area, it sure would appear to be a public area. The cache seems to be near a dead-end road, in woods that have what looks like trails running through it, and at least one other cache in it. WHOOPS!!! I guess I should say, one other cache that may be "achieved"!!

Just because there are trails doesn't mean it's public property. Could it be private but people have been using it as public for years (like riding dirt bikes and ATVs without permission)?

Has anyone looked at tax maps? Visited the county offices?

Too many people assume that just because there's a stand of trees without a house, it's public property. Very few people do any checking with local government.

Some of the most attentive people I've met were living on dead-end roads. Once, a guy even squared off at me in the street, as if it were High Noon. I expected him to shout, "Draw!"

The Achieve cache is in view of several neighbors, and maybe you'd park right next to houses. But if you enter the woods, hidden, you then risk an encounter with whatever the police are looking for. If I lived there, rather than kick out Geocachers, I'd take steps to rid the place of the criminals. But I'm strange like that.

b6zi14.jpg

Just because there are trails doesn't mean it's public property. Could it be private but people have been using it as public for years (like riding dirt bikes and ATVs without permission)?

Too many people assume that just because there's a stand of trees without a house, it's public property. Very few people do any checking with local government.

I agree with this 100%. Look at your local GIS for property ownership, or check with the municipal authority itself it they don't have that information online like most places do these days.

By the way, many people may not realize it, but Coldgears could know exactly what he's doing with this thread, and he's cracking on OReviewer for a mis-spelling. Either way, I'll be right back, I'm going to check to make sure my 12 year old doesn't post to any internet forums. :anibad:

I agree with this 100%. Look at your local GIS for property ownership, or check with the municipal authority itself it they don't have that information online like most places do these days.

By the way, many people may not realize it, but Coldgears could know exactly what he's doing with this thread, and he's cracking on OReviewer for a mis-spelling. Either way, I'll be right back, I'm going to check to make sure my 12 year old doesn't post to any internet forums. :anibad:

Now that I see that I am not happy. Oreviewer is always honest, fair and quick to respond. Not cool ColdGears he's/she's a volunteer!

hidden well. when found put back aka-read in scary vocie The name of the dead mans sskull is mr dead mans skull the 1st. he has 4 brothers But there skulls has not been found yet. The story takes place back in the old wild west when the 5 brotheers were all yong. They didnt like each other they hade a mean look on there face every time they saw each other beter men there were if u ask me. but why it stated back in when there were kids they even didnt like each other then beter to each other TO BE CONTINUED

His other cache pages are just as bad. I can understand (sometimes) a slip that escapes spell-check, but when one's spelling is that atrocious, to not even use spell-check is beyond comprehension. I consider it very rude to expect others to try to decipher such garbage.

(Snide comments about New Jersey stifled.)

Edited by DoubleBent

His other cache pages are just as bad. I can understand (sometimes) a slip that escapes spell-check, but when one's spelling is that atrocious, to not even use spell-check is beyond comprehension. I consider it very rude to expect others to try to decipher such garbage.

(Snide comments about New Jersey stifled.)

I wonder if the Geocaching.com registration should have check boxes like those on twocansandstring.com registration :laughing:

I wonder if the Geocaching.com registration should have check boxes like those on twocansandstring.com registration :laughing:

Hahaha! Reproduced here for those that don't like to click on external links:

• I am at least 30 years old OR I intend to fake it by using my superior maturity, spelling/grammar skills, and indoor voice.
  • I fully realize that I will not agree with everything people post on the internet. And that's okay.
  • I hereby certify that I know the difference between "your" and "you're" and the differences between "there", "their", and "they're". However, if I do not, then I will learn the differences before I attempt to post any text whatsoever.
  • I understand that this is a privately owned website and I will not whine about "Free Speech" if I get banned or my posts are deleted simply because the admin who read them thought they were mildly annoying.
  • I will be respectful to others.

Why would it matter any way you can still log it. Cache at your own risk. Run from the authorities if you so choose it will add to the caching experience wont it :unsure:

The problem with "caching at your own risk" is that it puts the whole game at risk and how people think of the game.

If we keep caching where its' illegal we're going to get on the wrong side of the police. As many cachers run into police while caching, it's a really good idea to stay on their good side and keep them thinking this is a fun friendly, lawful game.

We also don't want bad press by the neighbors.

Caching has been banned in many areas, and we want to keep that action to a minimum.

Keep caching in a good light to keep on caching.

Stay legal and no one will get hurt.