So disappointed and frustrated :(

cnoyes260

I've only recently learned about the sport of geocaching and thought it would be a great way for my family to get out and do something fun together without spending a lot of money. Unfortunately, we have had more disappointments that successes :( My kids (11 and 6) were excited to start geocaching, but now, find it more of a chore since "we never actually find the cache Mom". I don't seem to have a problem using my GPS to get to the cache site (we can always get within a few feet) but once at the site, we can't seem to find the cache. I've used the "hints" and the title of the cache to help, but finding the little object itself continues to allude us. Its like I know where it should be (ie: a matchstick box on a fence) but can't find it amongst the shrubery, etc. And then, I thought we'd try a multi-cache....well that was enough to send us home early as well. I mean what am I really looking for on a multi-cache? I know there are multiple steps to finding the actual cache at the end, but what am I looking for in steps 1, 2, etc. Is it a cache box with a clue in it? or something else? and then how do I figure out how to get to the next step? I guess I just don't get it. Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. I am currently using c:geo on my Android phone, and I like the program, but am open to suggestions if someone knows of something better. Thanks again.

Disappointed Mom and Kids

For one there is a wide variety in the accuracy of smart phones. Some are pretty good, some are awful. Perhaps you have one that isn't so great.

Also, even if your phone has great accuracy, you need to realize that there is still a level of inaccuracy and the person who hid the cache likely had some inaccuracy with his coordinates. So think more about where you would hide something and pay less attention to what your GPS says. Most caches will be 10-30 feet from where your GPS says it is under the best circumstances. Sometimes 40, 50 or more feet off if the conditions aren't that good.

Next, forget about micros at first. They can be frustrating even for veteran geocachers. Stick with regular sized caches for your first 15-20 searches, then you can think about small caches, then try your hand at micros once you get a good idea of the kinds of places caches are hidden.

And maybe try a few without the kids first. That way you don't have to worry about keeping them entertained. Once you get it down you can take them out and show them how its done.

Edited by briansnat

I've only recently learned about the sport of geocaching and thought it would be a great way for my family to get out and do something fun together without spending a lot of money. Unfortunately, we have had more disappointments that successes :( My kids (11 and 6) were excited to start geocaching, but now, find it more of a chore since "we never actually find the cache Mom". I don't seem to have a problem using my GPS to get to the cache site (we can always get within a few feet) but once at the site, we can't seem to find the cache. I've used the "hints" and the title of the cache to help, but finding the little object itself continues to allude us. Its like I know where it should be (ie: a matchstick box on a fence) but can't find it amongst the shrubery, etc. And then, I thought we'd try a multi-cache....well that was enough to send us home early as well. I mean what am I really looking for on a multi-cache? I know there are multiple steps to finding the actual cache at the end, but what am I looking for in steps 1, 2, etc. Is it a cache box with a clue in it? or something else? and then how do I figure out how to get to the next step? I guess I just don't get it. Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. I am currently using c:geo on my Android phone, and I like the program, but am open to suggestions if someone knows of something better. Thanks again.

c:geo violates TOS on GC.com. It can get you banned from gc.com if you use that. c;geo is also a really bad app when it comes to finding a cache. For the paperless option, yes, its good, but the cache icon on the phone gives you about 50ft away from the original coords. I suggest you get a GPS.

You do get better at finding the caches once you've got a few under your belt. You've been given some good advice here like stay away from micros at first, and getting a proper GPS is highly recommended. I would add that you should look for small or regular sized caches that have a one star difficulty and terrain level. Also, read the logs and go after those caches that have been recently found with no DNF's, just "smileys". Once on the trail and nearing GZ, read the hint again and start looking for clues such as a UPS (an unnatural pile of sticks) a very common field clue. Above all don't be discouraged as being a family together out on an adventure is a wonderful experience and don't be shy about contacting a cache owner. Explain the situation and I'm positive the CO would love to help you direct the kiddies to the hidden treasure.

My suggestion for you is to go out solo for your first few finds, that's what I did....there is definitely a learned skill to finding caches once at ground zero (likely hiding spots, different types of containers, etc), even assuming your device is accurate. Once you've got the knack of spotting the little suckers, then you can take the kids out and have a better chance of finding them, so they won't get so frustrated.

Even better, if you can hook up with a local cacher in your area to go find a few, someone to show you the ropes a bit, that would also be very helpful.

Briansnat's advice is right on, check the cache sizes and go after regulars or smalls at first...micros can be very challenging for any cacher, especially beginners. Stay away from the multis and puzzle caches as well at first, stick to the traditionals.

And to affirm what's already been said, once you get within 10-20 feet or so, put away the phone...it usually won't put you right on top of the cache even under the best circumstances. Just put it in your pocket and start searching with your senses...Look for likely nooks, crannies, cracks, etc. where a container that size might be concealed. Also, "look" with your eyes as well as your hands...feel under, on top of, behind, and inside of things where you can't see (just be careful where you stick your hands...many cachers carry gloves with them for this).

I'm just a little curious. If you don't actually find the caches, how do you know that your gps is getting you "within a few feet" ?

When I started out, I went out without the kids first and found a few, and then took the kids back to the ones I've found and gently pointed then to the hiding place so that they could make the find on their own.

Keep at it, no one finds every cache they hunt for.

the3Gmen

My husband and I are relativley new at the game as well, so I know what you are saying. It it maddening to know you are at the correct site (based on the description as well as comments by people who have previously found the cache) and still not be able to find what you're looking for. For me, what is the most frustrating are the ones that have little to no description and absolutely no hint. That hint section is there for a reason, people and "hints" such as "the weather is nice today" are not hints! Give me some direction, here!

I do agree with PPs about forgeting the micro caches. For me, those aren't any fun anyway. I don't exactly get much gratification out of finding a bottle cap! lol.

Keep working at it and don't give up! Hopefully we'll both get better!!

I did smalls and regulars my first few times. First multi I tried was a nightmare. Didn't get it at all. Then with a nudge from another cacher I grasped the concept. The steps of the multi can be anything. I found one with coordinates on a strip of magnet. Some with little containers. Some with bigger containers. Some with coordinates written on objects that are hidden. It varies and once you get to know the cacher that is hiding them and their cache types you get better at them. Some multis are easier where you just take information and plug it into coordinates too. Look for those first.

I read the logs of peopel who have found the cache before I go looking. Then I can figure out if it's even still there or a hot mess or whatever.

Look around the forum at some of the more popular cache containers. It makes a world of difference.

I still miss a bunch of caches on my first try. I just spent 3 trips into the woods to complete a cache and a combined probably like 10 hours trying to do it. Did another one nearby... that was easily 8-10 trips throughout the last year and again hours of searching. Chances are you will always miss some caches. Don't let the kids get too hung up on the prize but rather start teaching them about the journey. It will probably make it a more pleasant hobby for you all then.

I had horrible luck with my smart phone as well. I know people have success with them and I wasn't one of them. My friend also had issues with his and when it comes down to really hitting the caches hard we use GPS units. If we're just doing a quicky in town then we might use his phone but bring a unit as back up.

c:geo violates TOS on GC.com. It can get you banned from gc.com if you use that. c;geo is also a really bad app when it comes to finding a cache. For the paperless option, yes, its good, but the cache icon on the phone gives you about 50ft away from the original coords. I suggest you get a GPS.

Let them ban me then! I paid $10 for the official app and it doesn't work with the newest update...

Care to explain how it gets someone banned? Does one's smartphone send a warning to gc.com? How many have been banned so far? Just asking :blink:

Care to explain how it gets someone banned? Does one's smartphone send a warning to gc.com? How many have been banned so far? Just asking :blink:

While it could conceivable happen, it hasn't yet.

Back on subject, to the OP be sure to check the difficulty before heading out to the cache site. Do some 1 star ones first to get the hang of it.

If all else fails wait for a local geocaching event. I'm sure someone can share some tips with you.

I really feel your pain on this... I just started this last week with my son. We found our first one and it was a micro! took us forever! so we tried 5 more that day, I think maybe we are in the same area lol because one of the ones we tried was a match thing hangin out as well. We looked and looked and could not find it. We think there was to much cover. And it is suppose to be a one... we found 2 of 5 that day and gave up, it was alot harder than I thought. Then we went on you tube and ebay, just to see what the different containers look like and that really had us looking at everything. Hollow logs, fake pine cones, fake bark... oh man when a GPS might only get you within 5-20 ft... and its fake bark... or a fake pine cone... that made my son wnat to not go out again.

I went out the next day solo and I found 2 of 3, one was a bit easy and the other was more of a challenge, the last one I looked for over 20 min and I could not find anything at all. And to drive almost 25-30 min and then walk so long and look so hard its super frusterating. but i do not think I will give up. Just keep going!

Why not try contacting the owner of some caches in your area and get hints directly from them before you go out. No one wants you to feel defeated.

You also might want to lower expectations.. I go with my 4 year old and he seems to manage not finding them all the time. Sometimes he does require a McDonalds instead. :)

Shaun

Start with low difficulty caches that are small or regular containers. Once you get within about 50 feet use your eyes and don't look at the GPS as much. I've seen people never take their eyes off the GPS until it hits 0. This can lead you to walk right by the cache. Look for places you would hide something.

Here are some general hints:

Look for caches with a difficulty of 2 or less for your fist few caches. Stick with regular sized caches for your first few. Micros can be quite hard to find sometimes. Stick to areas you are familiar with. Look for anything out of place or unusual. Look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, sand, etc. Feel where you cannot look. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground. Look up or at eye level. Look for traces of previous searches to zero in on the spot. Think like the hider - where would you put a container in this location? Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not like the others, too many, too few. Change your perspective - a shift in lighting can sometimes reveal a cache. Keep in mind that many micros are magnetic or attached to something (via string, wire etc). Slowly expand your search area to about 40 feet from where your GPS says ground zero is. Bring garden gloves and a flashlight - they help! Be prepared to not find the cache more often then you think.

Most of all - have fun!!

Congratulations on your first 8 caches! Took us a lot longer than that!

I'd also add that, when out in countryside caches survive better if they are slightly off the beaten track, whether that be nearby a lesser known side path of a mapped footpath, or an uninteresting clearing that isn't going to bring a group of curious passers-by over to see what the fuss is about. Also, look at the caches on the map & choose ones that are going to take your family somewhere you would enjoy anyway, for the view, the journey, the history or even the ice cream from the olde worlde parlour around the corner. Then finding the cache is an happy extra.

Actually, some parts of c:geo work MUCH better than groundspeaks geocaching for Androids. I have both on my new Android phone, and c:geo will get me within a couple of feet most of the time. I'm glad you found some, and the advice still stands, look for regular size with a D/T rating of 1.5 X 1.5 first. Some multi's are hard, some are not. The first stage will give you coordinates to the next stage and so forth. Stick with it, you will get the hang of it. Don't give up, it is fun for all ages.

I myself am still relatively new to this sport, and in addition to the great hints already given by everyone else (I'll try not to repeat any), I would try and get involved in going to some of the local caching events/meet and greets to meet other cachers, and get some advice from them, and who knows, you may meet some of the owners of some of the caches you have looked for, and ask them to try and give you a better hint to find their cache. Also, you may find some people that are willing to go out and do some group caching, and they can help give you some pointers on what to look for and develop your geo-sense....lol... I have been to some of my local events, and met some wonderful people that cache, and even met some helpful cachers looking for the cache I have hidden (nvaemt2).

Also, I would invest in a handheld gps. You can find some for around $100, but I would suggest getting the best one you can afford. I use a garmin vista myself, but most gps units that have a geocaching feature are at a minimum decent and will get you within 20 feet of the cache. Most places, like Cabelas and Dicks Sporting Good, usually will have GPS units on sale, and the salespeople will explain the features to you, and recommend one or two within your price range.

As you find more caches, you will start realizing what doesn't look quite right, and find caches quicker.

Also, If you live in the central CT area and would like to do some group caching, or would like answers to more specific questions, feel free to email me, and I would be more than happy to answer your questions.

ChrisEMT1

I thought that they were part of the public API beta test that GC.com has underway?

If you want to make for the best experience for the kids, treat it like Easter. When Easter comes around you hide the eggs; you control the level of fun. With geocaching you can go out and find the cache first. In this way you know where it is. You know that the location is safe for your age level kids. You can also sneak in SWAG for kids into the cache if a cache is getting empty. In this way when you come back with the kids you can lead them to the general location of the cache. While you pretend to look for the cache you can also, subtly, encourage them to be searching in the right area while at the same time still promoting their critical thinking skills.

On a side note, some people have suggested skipping micros. I don't know if that is really needed. I've found micros and the smaller nano caches no easier or harder to find. I'd only suggest skipping them if the kids will be totally turned off by the lack of toys. But each kid is different. Some like the hunt for the sake of the hunt itself. Others only look for caches to get something out of it like a new toy or swag item.

Here's a "deep dark secret" to give you an unfair advantage. :rolleyes:

Follow the GPS unit's "pointer" until you are close. At some point near Ground Zero, you may find the pointer suddenly flips to the opposite direction--as if you were 18 feet east of the target one minute, and now are suddenly 18 feet west. (There are technical reasons why this happens, including signal reflection from nearby objects, or a weak signal caused by terrain or tree cover.)

The solution is to switch the view from "pointer" to "coordinates". Move around slowly until the coordinates on the screen match those published by the cache owner. The coordinate reading will be quite stable, and you will be within a couple of feet of the target.

I've used this technique to locate thousands of benchmarks, and recently I tested it with several geocaches. Adjust one direction at a time; i.e., N-S, and then E-W. Once you are at -GZ-, use your eyes and your intuition--and, in many instances, your imagination!

Happy hunting!

-Paul-

One thing I found with kids is that if it's not a quick find, they lose interest. Which is OK, sometimes, if there's lots of kids there, they can play while you hunt.

Having said that, when I take the kids out, I do my research ahead of time. I look for large caches (no micros), in good spots, such as along beaches or near playgrounds. I also read the logs to make sure the cache has been found recently (if not, it might be missing). We find that about 3 caches is the max we can do in 1 outing. Good to have them bring toys along, rollerblades, etc. to amuse themselves. I also bring a bag of swag in case there's 'nothing good' in the cache so they can pick something from the bag and not be disappointed. Perhaps bring a picnic lunch.

I like caching so much I also schedule some time to do it alone, so I can do it my way.

Oh, yeah, and for GPSs, we found the Magellen Explorist GC very accurate and not so expensive you will have a heart attack if the kids drop it off a cliff.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

I can empathise. I don't think size is so important - my first find was a micro and was easy enough. Pay more attention to the difficulty level (I tend to go for things that are < 2).

I would hope that any cache that was a fake pine cone/ fake bark etc. would have been given a higher difficulty level.

A GPS might work better, but $100 is not to be sniffed at. . especially if you don't know that you'll ge much use out of it, and while you have a decent enough GPS on your smart phone.

At this stage, I refuse to entertain the thought of buying a dedicated GPS as I'm used to geocaching 'on the fly' and so don't want to have to write down stuff and make notes when I don't even know that I'll be doing any hunting, or where.

The best advice is to stick it out. Every thing else you hear will probably contradict something else.

s3

Follow the GPS unit's "pointer" until you are close. At some point near Ground Zero, you may find the pointer suddenly flips to the opposite direction--as if you were 18 feet east of the target one minute, and now are suddenly 18 feet west. (There are technical reasons why this happens, including signal reflection from nearby objects, or a weak signal caused by terrain or tree cover.)

The solution is to switch the view from "pointer" to "coordinates". Move around slowly until the coordinates on the screen match those published by the cache owner. The coordinate reading will be quite stable, and you will be within a couple of feet of the target.

I've used this technique to locate thousands of benchmarks, and recently I tested it with several geocaches. Adjust one direction at a time; i.e., N-S, and then E-W. Once you are at -GZ-, use your eyes and your intuition--and, in many instances, your imagination!

Happy hunting!

-Paul-

This is a great tip. I'll be sure to use it.

One thing I've found on this forum though. The posts are sometimes now easily ready by a newbie. You guys use so many acronyms that it can be baffling. Might make perfect sense to an experienced geocacher, but it requires a glossary.

Happy hunting!

-Paul-

This is a great tip. I'll be sure to use it.

One thing I've found on this forum though. The posts are sometimes now easily ready by a newbie. You guys use so many acronyms that it can be baffling. Might make perfect sense to an experienced geocacher, but it requires a glossary.

YAPIDKA! Check out the geocaching.com website and cachingdictionary.com for explanations of the acronyms commonly used among geocachers.

These have all been fantastic ideas and thoughts!! My 2 cents:

c.geo is something I tried back when I first started and yes it's CRAP! I also started out using my smartphone and quickly realized how inaccurate it was. Even with a dedicated GPS it can still fall short. Kids are a tricky bunch, my own experience has varied. I bring one 10 year old nephew out who likes GC'ing but after about two or three grows tired of it. Another 10 year old I brought out had no interest at all and then I go out with my fellow gc'ing friend and his eight year old and he LOVES it and will stay out all day. You can never tell with kids and it's how you approach it.

Yes you have to learn ALL the tricks to appreciate how caches are hidden and some are devishly clever which makes it even more fun! Another piece of advice is to find another experienced gcer in the area and go out with him/her a few times to really get a feel for it.

Please update us on how its going :)

Another piece of advice is to find another experienced gcer in the area and go out with him/her a few times to really get a feel for it.

I've seen this advice often given to newbies. But I think it's easier said than done. I wouldn't feel comfortable emailing a strange and asking to tag along with them.

I tried the adopt-a-newby thread on one of these forums and got no response.

Another piece of advice is to find another experienced gcer in the area and go out with him/her a few times to really get a feel for it.

I've seen this advice often given to newbies. But I think it's easier said than done. I wouldn't feel comfortable emailing a strange and asking to tag along with them.

I tried the adopt-a-newby thread on one of these forums and got no response.

Attend an event. Meet face to face. There's usually a cache or three nearby to look for. Once you then know each other, you're no longer strangers!

As you are in the UK post a new thread, I think the Adopt-a-newbie thread is getting a little too long, and people can no longer be bothered to read it all to see whose offering help, and whose asking for help...

I can identify.

I am about 5 months into Geocaching with my 2 daughters (14 and 12) and we initially got frustrated with DNF's (did not finds). But we kept at it, checked on these forums for tips and tricks and are now having a lot more success.

A few things to try that have worked wonders for me:

* Read the comments before you head to a cache -- We found this out the (very) hard way. We hiked about a mile up a hill and could not find the cache. Only then did I think to read the comments and people were talking about how it had been muggled. Grrrr. The comments will let you know if it has been found recently (always a good sign) and provide clues to its location.

* Use your brain and your senses -- The GPS device can lead you to the promised land, but YOU have to find it. Think, look, feel, search. Try to put yourself into the mild of a twisted geocacher so that you can ascertain where they would locate it. Touch stuff! I found a cache recent that utterly stumped my girls simply because I was touching all around and that thing that shouldn't have moved DID. Think: magnets!

* Learn the ropes -- Our first cache was in a parking lot. We had no idea what we were doing or looking for and we wandered around like lost puppies. The GPS said we were within a meter but there was no container here! After searching for 20+ minutes, I chanced to lift up the cover at the base of a lightpost and VOILA! Now we know one of the favorite spots of cachers, so when we are in a parking lot, our eyes are on the lookout for a LPH (lampost hide). We recently found our second fence post hide. Those don't trick us anymore either.

* Lean on the community -- Especially early on, I contacted a few folks seeking some help. One was a cache owner but I also contacted a couple folks who had recently found a cache we could not locate. All were helpful and friendly. If you can't find one, contact the last person to find it and see if they can provide guidance.

* Tools of the trade -- if you haven't already, it is time to build a couple tool bags. In one (let your kids carry this) put some small trinkets and prizes to swap with stuff you find in caches. They will love this. In the second, place some tools, including a hammer, pliers, screwdriver, pencils, spare journal logs, candy (more on this later),etc, so that those stubborn fence post lids can't stand between you and victory.

* To the victor -- the goal in geocaching is not to find the caches. It's to have fun. As a parent, if you want to keep doing this, you need to "sell" it to your kids by having fun. Sure, finding the cache gives a sense of victory and enjoyment, but so does exploring new places, even at locations we have been to many times before. A well-timed candy bar doesn't hurt either. Or how about frozen yogurt afterwards to celebrate. Do it every time. That starts a Pavolvian reaction for your kids, that each time they geocache, they find cool stuff and get sweets --> WIN!

Bottom line: set the kids up for a fun and successful time by being prepared and have a game plan.

Enjoy!

Edited by krejaton

I can completely understand that I should look for the easy ones first...but the majority of caches seem to be the tiny ones. I have checked out the lists of caches in various areas around where I live and the larger ones are few and far between Please consider us newbies when you hide a cache!

Attend an event. Meet face to face. There's usually a cache or three nearby to look for. Once you then know each other, you're no longer strangers!

As you are in the UK post a new thread, I think the Adopt-a-newbie thread is getting a little too long, and people can no longer be bothered to read it all to see whose offering help, and whose asking for help...

How common are events. I've looked on the GAGB website, and on the UK part of these forums, and haven't seen any planned events in my area.

I'm in the northwest and I'm sure there are events in the northwest but it's not a small area. It can take over an hour to get from one part of Cumbria to another and that's nothing to do with the other more populous parts of the northwest.

I've only been geocaching for about 4 months, and my first find was a micro. Size isn't necessarily important - the largest cache I've found so far took me about 20 mins at GZ even though it was big enough to hold loads of DVDs, where that little micro took about 20 seconds. My local area also seems to have more small containers than large ones (most are small or micro). It's a good idea to try for ones with a difficulty level of one which should be easier, and check that it's been found several times recently. It might also be worth trying ones in a location you'd be visiting for another reason anyway, so that the cache is just a bonus on a nice day out rather than a destination in itself. That's what I try to do, as I'm usually caching with a 4 year old, who loves a good search & find, but does get bored quite quickly if it's taking a while to locate.

It honestly does get easier once you've managed to find the first few. I only use a smart phone and the free c:geo app, and have been happy with both so far. It can be worth using the map option as well as the compass - sometimes the satellite view will help you to see which side of the road/stream/path, whether it's near a particular building etc. Loads of things can throw your GPS out a bit (tree cover, proximity to tall buildings etc), so the map can be useful then.

Also - search Ebay for "geocaching" - you will see a selection of containers that people can buy, so samples of some of the containers people may use! Obviously containers may be homemade, household objects, plastic boxes etc, but many will be specially bought ones too. e.g. I had no idea what an ammo can was until I saw one on Ebay, as it's not something the average person in the UK is likely to come across in normal life.

Good luck!

How common are events. I've looked on the GAGB website, and on the UK part of these forums, and haven't seen any planned events in my area.

I'm in the northwest and I'm sure there are events in the northwest but it's not a small area. It can take over an hour to get from one part of Cumbria to another and that's nothing to do with the other more populous parts of the northwest.

Best suggestion is:

Search from this page http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?country_id=11 and select Event caches, select State/Province and see where they are...

Or post on the GAGB forums, or start a thread in the UK and Ireland side of these forums.

There's always someone that knows where the events are!

That might be a good solution if the object of the game was to see you close you can get to a set of published coordinates. The object of geocaching is to find geocaches. Considering that the accuracy of the GPS device used to capture those coordinates might be off as much as 25-30 feet, even under optimal conditions you might navigate to a location that is still 25-30 from the target. You might even find that your GPS is showing the exact same coordinates and then look up to see a large tree with a hole in it 20 feet away where the container is actually hidden.

Use the GPS to get "close" then use your eyes and other senses to locate the cache.

I just started last month and was also frustrated. Now I've got 100 finds under my belt and it has gotten much easier. The above advice should really help. Despite some effort, I've not been able to find a friendly geocacher locally to help get me going so I had to tough it out on my own. Let me just 'ditto' a couple ideas. First, leave the kids home until you get the hang of it. Check to be sure the caches you're looking for are NOT micros AND that they have been found very recently (within the past 2 weeks or a month). Then go look and allow yourself lots of time. Get as close to ground zero as you can with your GPS, and then look around. See if anything rings a bell with the title or the hint. Reading the comments of others who found the cache also helps. If nothing jumps out at you, look for where you would hide a cache. Look for the best hiding place. Touch everything. Often times, a cache will wiggle or move, when what is normally at the location will not. Look for anything that appears even slightly out of place or odd. Three stick in a row, a pile of acorns, a pipe that looks like it doesn't do anything - any of them could be the cache. Also, if you go to youtube, there are lots of videos of people finding caches so you can get a feel for what it is like and what to look for. Look on Ebay for cache containers again, so you will know what kinds of things they can be. All of that should really help. What I did with the kids was, I found a few near us that were regular caches and so contained some swag. Then I went back with the kids and helped them find the caches. That way they were almost guaranteed success and a good time. Once they were interested and we all were a bit more experienced, they were more excited about going out to look. It really is a great family activity and kids are often very good at it because they see things differently than we do, and have a different vantage point. Good luck and hang in there!

That might be a good solution if the object of the game was to see you close you can get to a set of published coordinates. The object of geocaching is to find geocaches. Considering that the accuracy of the GPS device used to capture those coordinates might be off as much as 25-30 feet, even under optimal conditions you might navigate to a location that is still 25-30 from the target. You might even find that your GPS is showing the exact same coordinates and then look up to see a large tree with a hole in it 20 feet away where the container is actually hidden.

Use the GPS to get "close" then use your eyes and other senses to locate the cache.

1. If you read the last line of my post, you will see that I said the same thing: Get close, then use your eyes, your instinct, and your imagination.

2. Elsewhere in this thread, it is wisely recommended that newcomers read the logs before setting out. If the coordinates are as far off as in your example, it is likely that several logs will contain comments about the inaccuracy.

3. The suggestion about viewing the coordinates is the result of reading hundreds of logs which state that the pointer was "flopping all over the place". Comments like this frequently appear in "Not Found" logs. The "edge", or advantage, is that the coordinate reading is more stable than the pointer. I'm not saying the coordinate method is perfect, but it's much less distracting!

4. You point out that "The object of geocaching is to find geocaches." I agree, completely. Remember, this thread is in "Getting Started" and the Original Poster was extremely frustrated by NOT finding geocaches. I can see how after continued disappointment, one might give up, thus missing out on what could have been a very enjoyable hobby. I've been very impressed with the helpful suggestions which have been submitted, and I hope these encourage many newcomers to stay in the game.

Best regards,

-Paul-

Edited by PFF

I agree with you on this. I got nine geocaches today but I had trouble locating three of them. For those three I used the coordinates method as described above and found that all of three of those caches were located up to 30 feet away from the numbers posted. I relied on my instincts to search in a broader area around GZ and found them.

luvvinbird wrote:

I got nine geocaches today but I had trouble locating three of them. For those three I used the coordinates method as described above and found that all of three of those caches were located up to 30 feet away from the numbers posted.

If one of those was GC1CSV4, a reading of the logs (even just the most recent ones) would have alerted you that the coordinates were significantly inaccurate. Hence, going to the published coordinates was not going to get you "right on top" of the cache. On the other hand, this would have worked well at GC17XT7 and GC2K8CO, where you reported the coordinates as being "very good".

luvvinbird wrote:

I got nine geocaches today but I had trouble locating three of them. For those three I used the coordinates method as described above and found that all of three of those caches were located up to 30 feet away from the numbers posted.

If one of those was GC1CSV4, a reading of the logs (even just the most recent ones) would have alerted you that the coordinates were significantly inaccurate. Hence, going to the published coordinates was not going to get you "right on top" of the cache. On the other hand, this would have worked well at GC17XT7 and GC2K8CO, where you reported the coordinates as being "very good".

Fair enough. GC1CSV4, GC2RGGA, and GC12EK1 were the ones I tried by using coordinates only. Other geocachers had indicated problems in accuracy as well. But, when coordinates are accurate, my handheld will usually get me to GZ by following an arrow or watching the distance count down. For inaccurate coords, we're kind of on our own anyway. I'll continue to try your method on stubborn caches where the GPS misbehaves as I think your background shows a lot more experience in understanding and using coordinates. One thing, though, I found myself re-reading the cache numbers and memorizing the last 3 digits in lat and lon. I would then go to the satellite page and position myself at the posted numbers. Is that how you do it? (edited for additional thoughts)

Edited by luvvinbird

I have no kids, but just recently took a newb and some kids out on their first hunt. Kids do have a short attention span. I picked out the larger ones so that they could trade for items and so that we would not spend forever looking. If I had had time, I would have gone out alone and found them, in case I needed to guide the kids to it. As it turned out, it wasn't necessary.

When the 7 yr old got cranky, his grandma called it quits, but we had already gotten 4 or 5. It was a good day.

I love going somewhere and then using my phone app to search for nearby caches. Maybe the local McDonald's has one hidden. So then the trip is really to eat, not to cache. Looking for the cache is just a bonus activity. Don't find it then? Well, there is always next time you go for a treat at McD's.

I'll just second the other good advice you have received in this thread. I just wanted to comment further on pairing necessary trips with a bonus cache hunt.

I'll just second the other good advice you have received in this thread. I just wanted to comment further on pairing necessary trips with a bonus cache hunt.

This is how I always do it. Apart from the first time I went out with some friends, the geocaching is always something that gets tacked on to something I was already doing. . .

And if I'm somewhere, I can use my phone app to see if there's a cache nearby and grab it. I was in the motorway services last week and there was one nearby so I got it.

This is how I always do it. Apart from the first time I went out with some friends, the geocaching is always something that gets tacked on to something I was already doing. . .

And if I'm somewhere, I can use my phone app to see if there's a cache nearby and grab it. I was in the motorway services last week and there was one nearby so I got it.

As much as I'd love to, I can't seem to get any of my family members interested. And I know they'd have a blast! My wife sees a little mud on a trail...it's over. If my GPS doesn't play Lady Gaga...my nephews and nieces aren't interested. My own son calls me a geek... naturally, I've disowned him, lol. But, my neighbor friend down the road just loves tagging along...so I'm really happy for that.

Actually, some parts of c:geo work MUCH better than groundspeaks geocaching for Androids. I have both on my new Android phone, and c:geo will get me within a couple of feet most of the time. I'm glad you found some, and the advice still stands, look for regular size with a D/T rating of 1.5 X 1.5 first. Some multi's are hard, some are not. The first stage will give you coordinates to the next stage and so forth. Stick with it, you will get the hang of it. Don't give up, it is fun for all ages.

My experience with cgeo is a lot worse. It takes a while to load the live map and details, the GPS keeps refreshing to say the cache is 100 feet away, and mow it keeps crashing.

If you are on trails, when you get to GZ, start to think like a detective - or Mantracker, if you've seen the TV show. Look for flattened vegetation, an unnatural piling of sticks or stones. Is there a stone at the end of that log? It might cover the cache. any footprints, other than yours?

An 11 year old has a longer attention span than a 6 year old, as I'm sure you're aware. If you spot the cache first, give the "warmer and colder" clues. I would suggest giving each cache a time limit, keeping the number of caches sought to around 5 and reward (not bribe) the kids. An ice cream/popsicle shouldn't be too pricey.

Earthcaches are great learning experiences, if you have any close by. Do have a look at a thread in Geocaching Topics "Cool Cache Containers" to see how sneaky some of our fellow cachers are. Thinking like a hider may help. No GPS will put you right on the cache, every time. In fact, it will get you very close, but then it is up to you.

Above all, have fun! Good luck...