Blank Logs Log

weird. Of all the 17 caches I own, not a single blank log, even though I see several TFTC/3 worded logs. I sure do remember getting blank logs in emails, though. Just checked all my caches now and not a single blank log.........

Wait. After the finders logged them in the feild, they edited the log once on a computer to reflect their adventure. You sure don't judge a person right after you get an email. :)

weird. Of all the 17 caches I own, not a single blank log, even though I see several TFTC/3 worded logs. I sure do remember getting blank logs in emails, though. Just checked all my caches now and not a single blank log.........

Wait. After the finders logged them in the feild, they edited the log once on a computer to reflect their adventure. You sure don't judge a person right after you get an email. :)

Please don't post the number of blank logs that you do not get. That would make this thread kind of useless. But I'm glad for you. I don't get a lot yet, but it is increasing.

Regarding your second sentence... I don't judge anybody, but a cache owner does not know that a log has been edited until the next time they visit their cache page, which in the case of most cache owners, is not all that often. We mostly tend to rely on our email notifications.

Please don't post the number of blank logs that you do not get. That would make this thread kind of useless. But I'm glad for you. I don't get a lot yet, but it is increasing.

Regarding your second sentence... I don't judge anybody, but a cache owner does not know that a log has been edited until the next time they visit their cache page, which in the case of most cache owners, is not all that often. We mostly tend to rely on our email notifications.

Oh. from your original post, you stated the frequency of blank logs and I thought I should post how many I had. Sorry!

On your second paragraph, I wasn't talking about you, I was talking in general.

Yep I have had several no big WOOP

I'm not looking for your "Whoop" or your opinion in this thread. I'm looking for counts. If you want to post your opinion on blank logs then please start a new thread.

Wait. If you are looking for counts, my post was a count, right?

Look... I am not looking to start another blank log controversy. I am trying to create a thread where we can document blank logs so that we can see if they are really increasing or decreasing. PLEASE keep your opinions of them, PRO OR CON, to yourselves or to another thread.

Yep I have had several no big WOOP

I'm not looking for your "Whoop" or your opinion in this thread. I'm looking for counts. If you want to post your opinion on blank logs then please start a new thread.

That seems almost as controlling as when one attempts to tell others how they should log their caches.

It is controlling. As the person that started this thread, I have that right.

Look... I am not looking to start another blank log controversy.

Sure you are. You said you were through with it, but you can't resist starting a new thread on the subject.

You're just not getting the rousing support you expected.

Please stop telling me what my intentions are. We have been through this before. My intentions here are to accumulate some useful information, not to fight with you. If you have no useful information, then please stop clogging this thread with noise. You are perfectly free to start your own thread.

Too bad it had to be derailed. A little actual factual may have shone some light on the subject. It could be that few actual blank logs exist past the point were folks edit them when they get home. Or it could be that there really are lots of them out there. A simple, non-scientific poll may have hinted at the truth of the matter.

I don't think I have ever gotten a blank log. But I have been known to miss a log now and then. I'll still say put me down for a 0 count though.

Sure you are. You said you were through with it, but you can't resist starting a new thread on the subject.

Please stop telling me what my intentions are. We have been through this before. My intentions here are to accumulate some useful information, not to fight with you. If you have no useful information, then please stop clogging this thread with noise. You are perfectly free to start your own thread.

Just so I am clear on this because I don't want to put words in your mouth, but it is obvious I am not the only one confused.

You want just a number and nothing else? No other comments on what the number mean such as "they all seem to be coming from relatively new cachers"?

If that is the only thing that will be accepted in this thread, then fine, I will not comment further since I have no hides and therefore have no counts to post.

But if you accept comments from other posters, then at that time I will feel inclined to comment as well.

Just so I am clear on this because I don't want to put words in your mouth, but it is obvious I am not the only one confused.

You want just a number and nothing else? No other comments on what the number mean such as "they all seem to be coming from relatively new cachers"?

If that is the only thing that will be accepted in this thread, then fine, I will not comment further since I have no hides and therefore have no counts to post.

But if you accept comments from other posters, then at that time I will feel inclined to comment as well.

My intentions here are to accumulate some useful information, not to fight with you. If you have no useful information, then please stop clogging this thread with noise.

I don't see how just a count is going to provide what you're looking for. Total number of logs is going up (per my impression), so total blank logs could go up while the percentage went down. Not saying that's happening, just that percentage of blank logs would be a lot more meaningful.

Edward

Wouldn't it be better data if you took a random sample from some previous year, say 2004 in a few areas both rural and metropolitan in different states/countries, in a week's period of time and then did the same with another sample in those area in a week in a recent year? It's a skewed result just asking forum members if they got any blank logs.

That way you could see if they're increasing or decreasing. In theory you could also collect data about what kind of caches are getting more blank logs than others as well.

Although I don't have an actual count for you, I will say I recall about 6 or maybe 8 since these started. Fairly sparsely peppered through with no apparent increase...in fact I daresay they have decreased lately.

When I see a thread to which I have nothing to add, I keep quiet...and I suggest others apply the same restraint.

Haven't ever seen one on any of our caches, yet. I've seen "SL", "TFTC", and "found", but no totally blank logs.

I agree. Tons of TFTC in the past year and a half or so, but I can only find 2 totally blank logs on all my caches in the same time period.

I've only got two hidden. One is over 2 years old, the other a year and a half old and I've only gotten one totally blank log, which was fairly recent.

I'm pretty sure (for a number of reasons I won't go into here, because this isn't the thread for that) the guy didn't actually find the cache, and I'm going to delete the log once I confirm it at the cache.

You'd receive much better data by writing a script that looks at logs on GC.com and tabulates data. I'm pretty sure you'll get no useful and reliable data this way. If you're serious about this, I would suggest looking into Perl.

Do you mean "scrapes" data from the website?? If so, you are encouraging the violation of the Terms of Use agreement.

Edited by StarBrand

Two more this morning, on the same caches as the two last night, but a different user. I suspect part of a team, but interesting that they didn't all come in on the same day, if logged from a smartphone app!

Since the op is speculating on the origin of the blank logs rather than just posting a count, that I feel he has expanded the parameters of this thread.

Therefore, I have to say that if I were in the op's area and found some of his caches, I would be very tempted to log a blank log. But I don't think it is possible to log a blank log from a computer. :(

You'd receive much better data by writing a script that looks at logs on GC.com and tabulates data. I'm pretty sure you'll get no useful and reliable data this way. If you're serious about this, I would suggest looking into Perl.

Do you mean "scrapes" data from the website?? If so, you are encouraging the violation of the Terms of Use agreement.

Well you know, it's not that big of a deal with many websites. :anibad: However, this isn't one of them, it's a big deal, not gonna happen.

Now that he mentions it, it was a pain to look for blank logs. If you were looking for TFTC logs, you could use the search function in your browser.

Yeah, it seems like it would be a pain. I am not gonna look through all those logs looking for a blank.

Like I said though, I don't remember getting any blanks. A few TFTC logs. A few :) only logs. Even a few #x of xx logs. I suspect that blank logs aren't much of an issue over all. Perhaps a regional thing?

i have about 3 from a while back but i didn't get any recently

It is controlling. As the person that started this thread, I have that right.

No you don't. You can make threads, but you can't dictate how people respond to them. Do you script all of your conversations in real life as well?

yes, you're right he can't, but moderators can

perhaps you want to read the forum rules before assuming anything

5. Keep on topic: Responses to a particular thread should be on-topic and pertain to the discussion. Users should use the New Topic button to start a new discussion which would otherwise be off-topic in the current thread. Threads that veer off topic may be closed by a moderator.

Therefore, I have to say that if I were in the op's area and found some of his caches, I would be very tempted to log a blank log. But I don't think it is possible to log a blank log from a computer. :(

wtg, that's very grown up attitude...or you are not one

Edited by t4e