Collecting Geocoins to double or to not

mynetdude

I began collecting geocoins with the idea of buying 2 of each coin, this is a very expensive way to go about the hobby and while I may spend more than I should what I am noticing is I am not getting enough variety of coins by buying doubles whereas if I were buying singles I could buy more varieties with the same amount of money :)

I began to purchase 2 of whatever I could because I wanted to keep a set to activate and show off and a set that would remain unactivated but I am finding that to be a lot of work.

So, is it possible or reasonable to still show off my coins even though I don't want to activate them? I could cover the back side of the pages and it would be hard to read the codes off the side of the coins where some have codes on the side. Or does everyone who shows them off have them activated anyway?

Ahhhhhhhh, the geocoin paradox. To activate or not to activate? That is the question.

It's way more fun to take activated coins to be discovered at events than to take unactivated coins. Unactivated coins is like bread with no butter, burger with no cheese. :laughing:

But we all understand your dilemna. Just remember that if someone gets the tracking code from an unactivated coin, they can get the activation number and activate it to their own account. I've never heard of it happening, but it can.

Most of my collection is unactivated. I buy two if I really like it and think it would be fun to share with others, otherwise I just buy one and only share them with my closest geocaching friends.

I guess you need to decide for yourself why you're keeping unactivated coins. Clearly showing off your coins brings you pleasure so giving back to the folks who visit your collection means allowing them to discover them for the icons. So activating them is meaningful for that reason. You say you can't afford to have both so why not choose the ones you want to keep unactivated and bring the discoverable ones to Events and such to be seen. In fact why not do a test at the next Event you attend and bring two binders one of activated and one of non-activated coins and see which binder gets the most attention. It could help you sort out the Geocoin Paradox so eloquently spelled out above by SDR.

I'm a new collector myself, and I have started off by ordering two of each coin that I buy. Usually I pick two different finishes (sometimes more...).

Two reasons for buying two coins:

1. Shipping cost per coin is reduced a lot (at least for international shipping).

2. When the coins are in hans, I select the finish that I like the most for my permanent collection (hard to pick a favourite from photos!). The other finish is intended to be a trader (to acquire coins that no longer are sold), or will be activated and released.

The flaw is that until now, I have liked all the finishes so much that most of them are still in my possession! :)

I have realized that an unactivated coin is ONLY worth more if I intend to sell or trade it. For each event that I attend, I activate one or two of my most favourite coins, to show at the event. (This means that the number of coins that I bring to events, will accumulate.) Since these coins are my very favourite ones, I won't sell or trade them anyway, so to me, activating them and sharing them only adds to their value.

The coins that are still unactivated just sit in my drawer, waiting for - 1. being activated to join my "favourite collection" and shown off at events, 2. being traded, 3. being activated and released.

I treasure my activated coins more than the unactivated ones, but I'm not in a hurry to activate all of them.

Ahhhhhhhh, the geocoin paradox. To activate or not to activate? That is the question.

It's way more fun to take activated coins to be discovered at events than to take unactivated coins. Unactivated coins is like bread with no butter, burger with no cheese. :laughing:

But we all understand your dilemna. Just remember that if someone gets the tracking code from an unactivated coin, they can get the activation number and activate it to their own account. I've never heard of it happening, but it can.

Most of my collection is unactivated. I buy two if I really like it and think it would be fun to share with others, otherwise I just buy one and only share them with my closest geocaching friends.

well see here's my problem, I like too many of them! LOL according to excel I have entered in 129 coins about 3/4 of those are duplicates and 6 of those are not trackable so, by now I should have about 123 individual unique coins rather than 70 or 80 something coins that are duplicates.

I am not really collecting for value but I always have to wonder what if a coin gains in value and I didn't keep one unactivated (and I would guess mostly LE coins would be considered for valuation in the future)