Social networking

Just wondering why the no's?

Just because there's a feature doesn't mean you have to make use of it...

For starters, I see it as a waste of programming resources, a waste of bandwidth, not very related to geocaching, potential for wide abuse, potential for competitve "likes", waste of screen space.

I don't care for the feature personally, and if present, I'd add an AdBlock filter (or GM script) to remove it from my view.

Having said that, it seems that Groundspeak is trying to capitalize on social networking to make their site (and business) more popular. I'll leave it to Groundspeak to decide if it is something they want to do, but I certainly will not encourage it.

To the OP : if this is something you feel strongly about, I suggest posting to the feedback site instead of here. But before you do so, check to make sure there isn't already a similar suggestion already posted.

Edit to add : sharing a log that says "TFTC" on facebook probably will not do much to promote geocaching...

Edited by Chrysalides
For starters, I see it as a waste of programming resources, a waste of bandwidth, not very related to geocaching, potential for wide abuse, potential for competitve "likes", waste of screen space.

Let's see.. Programming resources? I hardly think so. You can do it in about 20 seconds. Moot point.

Bandwidth? Well as opposed to the "background graphics" that you can't see because the cache listing covers it? Moot point. A 100 x 100 button uses no measurable bandwidth.

Not related to geocaching? The only way that's true is if you don't think there's any inherent social component to geocaching (including sharing what you did with people who may or may not be playing). Debatable.

Potential for abuse? How would you abuse a like button that only your friends would see the likes of? Moot point.

Competitive likes? Doesn't even need to show a number, just a button to share with your people. Moot point.

Waste of screen space? Kinda like the "driving directions" link? Or, as I said, the background images you can't see?

Of course, the solution of "if you don't like it don't use it" would be 100% effective for those that don't want it and allow those who do to make use of it.

Kinda cool how that whole "just because you don't like something doesn't mean you have to banhammer it "thing works, isn't it?

I'll tell you why I hate the idea... not because it would harm my geocaching experience, but because it would harm my Facebook experience.

A lot of my friends are geocachers. And they are on facebook. I use facebook to keep up with my friends birthdays, travels, children's milestones, new relationships, and other "friends" stuff.

If those prolific cachers started posting every cache they find to facebook, my "top news" page is going to be nothing but a long, boring list of geocaches. No thanks!

I'll tell you why I hate the idea... not because it would harm my geocaching experience, but because it would harm my Facebook experience.

A lot of my friends are geocachers. And they are on facebook. I use facebook to keep up with my friends birthdays, travels, children's milestones, new relationships, and other "friends" stuff.

If those prolific cachers started posting every cache they find to facebook, my "top news" page is going to be nothing but a long, boring list of geocaches. No thanks!

Hide the posts from the like button or the share button. Trivial to do and problem solved. No different than all the other apps my friends are hooked on whose display I've blocked.

Edited by vincenzosi

Bandwidth? Well as opposed to the "background graphics" that you can't see because the cache listing covers it? Moot point. A 100 x 100 button uses no measurable bandwidth....

...and just how does that log text of 1000's of caches magically go somewhere without using bandwidth????

Of course, the solution of "if you don't like it don't use it" would be 100% effective for those that don't want it and allow those who do to make use of it.

how about this ain't facebook and we don't want it to be facebook?

How would adding a button that says "like" to send your likes to your own Facebook account turn this site into Facebook?

How would adding a button that says "like" to send your likes to your own Facebook account turn this site into Facebook?

First the button and then what next? Why does everything have have to have facebook button? Is it possible to live life without pushing a facebook button?

First the button and then what next? Why does everything have have to have facebook button? Is it possible to live life without pushing a facebook button?

For some people I know, their entire life IS facebook.

... Is it possible to live life without pushing a facebook button?

I've managed pretty well for the last 45 years.

I don't understand. If the button is there, you must push it!

Apparently not.

Point proven.

Problem is if the button is there there will be those that will feel compelled to push it. Then my facebook account will be a sea of like it's on caches. I'll be forced to start dropping addicted friends. It'll end up that it will be just be me and StarBrand. Now that I think about it, that might not be such a bad idea after all.

Edited by jholly
Problem is if the button is there there will be those that will feel compelled to push it. Then my facebook account will be a sea of like it's on caches. I'll be forced to start dropping addicted friends. It end up that it will be just be me and StarBrand. Now that I think about it, that might not be such a bad idea after all.

Non Issue. If you don't want to see the posts from Geocaching.com, just hide them using that handy-dandy X:

howtohide.png

Works flawlessly (I use it for Farmville, Yoville, sororitiyville, and so on). No clutter in my feed at all.

Non Issue. If you don't want to see the posts from Geocaching.com, just hide them using that handy-dandy X:

That's one of the things I hate about facebook. I shouldn't need to tell the site what I don't wanna see. It should be the other way around.

To expand on my no.

I think if you want to share your caching experience with your FB friends then post a note with your log entry or add the link to the cache page, but make it something that you do deliberatly.

Doesn't have to be automatic; could just be a button to make it easier for those who want to share to share.

I don't think that's such a bad thing.

I think next to the facebook button should be a row of other buttons. A twiter button. A myspace button. A local-singles-near-you button. A random-advertiser-so-Groundspeak-can-milk-ad-$$ button. I can see it now...

:)

Yes - that was me being snarky. Personally, I wouldn't care as long as it doesn't grow into this nasty behemoth over time trying to more and more tightly integrate our geocaching experience with other websites. I an easily ignore one small button. My concern is things change over time in ways you may not have envisioned.

I think there is another potential side-effect (both good and bad). It could cause an influx of users who have *at best* a passing interest in geocaching. Do we need a slew of 3 cache finders lifetime? Then again, it could draw in people who would contribute meaningfully to the community. It's probably both good and bad.

I would like to see a share button (facebook) added to your log entry page so our friends can see what were finding and maybe get interested in geocaching.

I'll give you a good reason for no.

Many teachers incorporate geocaching into their teaching curriculum and make use of the website in their classrooms. Many schools have anti-Facebook policies. Anything facebook is blocked. Any site loading anything facebook is blocked. The like button was enough to get geocaching.com blacklisted. I'm sure the share button would also cause geocaching.com to be blacklisted. Yes, with the proper programming you can allow geocaching.com but block the facebook stuff. Much easier for the network admin, who is probably doing a half a dozen other jobs, to simply block the entire site. Then nothing slips by now or in the future.

I kind of "like" the fact that the two are separate. (No pun intended) It seems "like" every site you go to now has a stupid blue "Like" button on it somewhere. Not everything has to integrate with Fakebook. :ph34r:

Hey, now! Don't go insulting the Fakebook. It's a very valuable resource for musicians.

You're right. How does Frightbook sound? Considering some of the pics people post exposing their entire lives, it can be quite frightening. :ph34r:

I would like to see a share button (facebook) added to your log entry page so our friends can see what were finding and maybe get interested in geocaching.

I'll give you a good reason for no.

Many teachers incorporate geocaching into their teaching curriculum and make use of the website in their classrooms. Many schools have anti-Facebook policies. Anything facebook is blocked. Any site loading anything facebook is blocked. The like button was enough to get geocaching.com blacklisted. I'm sure the share button would also cause geocaching.com to be blacklisted. Yes, with the proper programming you can allow geocaching.com but block the facebook stuff. Much easier for the network admin, who is probably doing a half a dozen other jobs, to simply block the entire site. Then nothing slips by now or in the future.

Good point. I had a Facebook account, but I deleted it. So I'm no expert here. Even though it was only last year in 2010, it was pre-vincenzosi. :D there was a Facebook "like" icon on cache pages for a whopping 3 weeks or so. From what I've heard, the project was quickly aborted because of complaints from people that employers and educational institutions block Facebook, and so this website with a "like" button on a million or so pages. Someone correct me, or provide further insight, if needed.

I don't get all the animosity and ignorance of facebook buttons. We're getting the same response as when Groundspeak did have the like button on cache pages.

Facebook is a social networking site and part of it's appeal is the ability for friends to share their status with each other. The like button (and the share on Facebook button) are tools for Facebook users to make this sharing easier. You see something on the web and you can click a button to share this with your Facebook friends. The like button has some additional capabilities in letting you see which of your Facebook friends also liked something. Sure when a Facebook user clicks something, Facebook has a record and subject to your privacy setting may share this information with third parties. But if you don't have Facebook the buttons don't anything beside taking you to a page to sign into Facebook. And if you don't click they don't do anything.

There was one problem reported with the like button and that was because it uses iframes. This would prevent the page from loading properly in some case if Facebook was block (say at work). I'm not sure how much this is still a problem as Facebook buttons are pretty ubiquitous nowadays, but apparently a share on Facebook button doesn't have this problem.

FWIW, I don't have Facebook myself. Right now there are a number of feature of Facebook that worry me and I want to avoid these risks. But I'm not concerned about visiting sites that link to Facebook or provide like or share buttons.

I think next to the facebook button should be a row of other buttons. A twiter button. A myspace button. A local-singles-near-you button. A random-advertiser-so-Groundspeak-can-milk-ad-$$ button. I can see it now...

That's actually very common. There's one at the bottom of this topic.

sharef.png

Aww, I guess everyone here has another thing to complain about, how many of them are going to boycott now that you made them realize this... :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Hey don't hit on Spacebook or Myface! (Sorry couldn't resist) :lol:

I used to use that one all the time. But since MySpace is pretty much dead, and the only people who use it any more in any significant numbers are bands, I gave up on that line. :anibad:

The big issue with myspace, was that it was so disorganized, facebook is streamlined. Seriously look at anyone's myspace and it looks like a jumble of crap.

For some people I know, their entire life IS facebook.

pretty sad afaic

Good point. I had a Facebook account, but I deleted it.

i did too and when all their so called privacy settings failed and i continued to get spam from people i removed from my profile i asked for the account to be deleted...only took them three months :mad:

I don't get all the animosity and ignorance of facebook buttons. We're getting the same response as when Groundspeak did have the like button on cache pages.

Facebook is a social networking site and part of it's appeal is the ability for friends to share their status with each other.

yes, FB is a social networking site and geocaching.com its NOT...whomever likes FB can go share their life there ....i seriously don't want to see this place turn into FB

and to the OP..NO

You can already post the link for interesting caches you found on your Wall and share your experiences that way. I've had plenty of people ask me about this "geocaching thing" I do based on nothing more than the Status updates I post.