Garmin GPSMap 62S - Projecting a Waypoint

Today I was out caching and the next nearest was one called "Projection 03" (http://coord.info/GC2JC4G). It took me to "N 37° 46.222 W 122° 27.971" and from there the cache was supposed to be 1460 feet from me on a bearing of 40 degrees.

So, I tried using the 62S's "Sight 'N Go" function, but found it very confusing. First I would hold the compass so it was pointing at 40 degrees, then I hit "Lock Position". Then it gives me a choice of "Set Course" or "Project Waypoint". If I select "Set Course" the compass changes from the normal large red triangular course pointer into a red long arrow with a blue arrowhead on the shaft, pointing at 40 degrees. Obviously that will allow me to walk on that 40 degree line but doesn't tell me the distance.

If instead I choose "Project Waypoint" it lets me enter the distance. I chose "feet" and entered "1460.00", and it created waypoint #001, but says it is 54 degrees, 1460 feet. Then it changes to the normal compass navigation screen with the big triangular course pointer and distance is shown as 0.28 miles (1478.4 feet). The course pointer wants me to use a bearing of about 54 degrees to get to it.

There is my confusion. Why 54 degrees instead of the 40 I carefully set it to? Is it a declination issue? Declination here is about 14 degrees. I have the "North Reference" in the "Headings" setup set to "Magnetic".

When I tried this in Golden Gate Park it led me off into the boonies, so I abandoned it for then and decided to come home and read the pitiful Garmin manual for clarification, and I think you know how much THAT helped.

Can someone please explain to this idiot how to do this simple operation?

Edited by michaelnel

0) Make sure the heading preference is set to the right (magnetic vs true) reference. I would assume he wants you to use true north.

1) Mark a waypoint at the origin, in this case the coordinates you gave.

2) Go to the edit waypoint menu.

3) Choose project waypoint.

4) Enter direction and distance.

5) Navigate to the new waypoint.

PS: you shouldn't give the actual coordinates, as this is a spoiler for the cache.

Edit: nevermind, it's given in the description anyway. Doh. But in this case, you can even do it at home.

Edited by dfx

PS: you shouldn't give the actual coordinates, as this is a spoiler for the cache.

Edit: nevermind, it's given in the description anyway. Doh. But in this case, you can even do it at home.

Yeah, that's the STARTING coordinates to project distance and bearing FROM.