Munzee...Heard of it?

yawppy

I was stumbling about the web, and came across a new IPhone/cache site of sorts App..MunzeeI checked out the web site... not all there (will it ever? Not sure!), but the app is nice but they have a long way to go before it is main stream, heck closest Munzee to me is 2000 miles west.. and the web sites map is not even up, app map works tho.

I have toodled with Gowalla, 4 squares, ethercache and a few others, but this Munzee... well sounds quite cool, sort of like the Ether-cache App, only this keeps a score (So numbers do count here!) They hide a cache much like Geocaching, but the difference is... you scan or capture the QR code.

How cool would that be?

Imagine the possibilities this presents,

A micro IE: place a QR code onto a sticker, can be placed just about any where any place, perhaps even with in a building, perhaps that is to far fetched, but it would eliminate water logged log books!

the muzee's range in size as well, so I imagine swag would still be swapped.

Trackables.. Snap a few pics, create your own icon, and I think you could just whip up a QR code linked to a web site with the collage of pic.

Perhaps create a QR code with the tracking code.. no more lost trackables.

Environmentally safer? Perhaps it might be a greener route one way , as you really would not need a container, but then a lot of plastics would not be in play, ... oh the possibilities.

K well just wanted to see what folks think of this "Munzee" approach, a QR Log. Perhaps other possibilities? I would love to hear of "other" similar sites or apps.

I have been thinking about this quite a bit lately but did not know anyone had implemented it. At http://geokrety.org/ you can make your own trackables and print out the QR label for finders to log it with.

It would be great if geocaching.com would implement a way for us to print QR codes to print ourt and stick on out cache hides so finders could scan their find.

Actually they better implement it before Munzee takes off.

I think I will go out and create the first Munzee in Europe.

Edited by GermanyBert

http://geokrety.org/ you can make your own trackables and print out the QR label for finders to log it with.

TY great link!

I'd Love it if too if GS would implement the QR, but the have already banned the "Ethercaches", seems to me this too would be to much for them,but one never knows!

GL on the 1st "M" in europe... They have just one wing thus far, and I was going to do one here in New England, but can not seem to get one going.

Cache on!

A munzee... huh?

Sounds interesting enough, just curious... what will happen if more of these letterboxing... caching style sites take off...I mean saturation.. a geocache may be sharing the same spot as a Munzee.

Oh well sounds like fun all the same.

Hey guys, I'm surprised that you found Munzee so soon! Congrats!

I've been Geocaching since 2003, and I LOVE it! Munzee is very cool, but also very different from traditional GC. It involves users "hiding" a QR code out in the wild. Hides are "captured" by other players. Here's the great part - each one you hide gives you points, and each one you find gives you points. However, when another user finds one of your hides - you get points for that as well!

Munzee is a 21'st century scavenger hunt game that is based on smartphone technology. Read more about it on the webpage (still a work in progress)

We haven’t made a big push yet, since our website is still in development. The Android App should be in the market soon, and the iPhone ap (as you’ve discovered) is already out. We’d love for you guys to stay active and help us to try out a few new advances as they roll out. Any features you’d like to see, let us know!

- Aggie Wanderer

I like it. I like the idea of having to scan a QR code to get credit for the find. This way people don't just randomly just say they found the cache. I hope this is implemented into Geocaching quickly.

Somebody put a QR code in a cache near me that links directly to the cache's log page...pretty slick!

This way people don't just randomly just say they found the cache. I hope this is implemented into Geocaching quickly.

I highly doubt Geocaching.com would ever make this a "requirement" for logging a cache since it requires a smart phone which many geocachers may not have. It would be nice for it to be an option for those of us that do use smart phones.

Nice concept but it is an early work in progress. I am finding it frustrating after creating my first, deploying it, and now finding it undeployed with a different QR code. I am sure they will fix the problems and add some features like photos, and the ability to post to their forums.

Munzee is taking off like a rocket. In the past few days since I made a post about it on my site I have seen the amount of Munzee's world wide literally double. It is the talk of the Geocaching social media circles. This is a very interesting concept and has some advantage (and disadvantages) but it is the one thing many Geocachers having been looking for quite some time....an alternative.

We have just placed our first two here in Nottingham, UK. We cache as Wemnog and Jacaru, but we Munzee under the name FenRum

Cool to hear. I placed my first 5 today and love it. The thing I like about it so far is it is super simple to deploy. For one of them I literally got out of the car, deployed on the back of a sign, and got back in the car within 15 seconds. The downside to this is accuracy because so far the Munzee app does not have a feature like waypoint averaging. I will say when I got back home and checked all of my Munzee's are within 5 feet of where I was standing thanks to the iPhone 4's excellent GPS.

The guys that run Munzee are quick to reply, really care and solved my problem quickly. As was mentioned earlier, it is growing and they are taking suggestions and making changes as it evolves.

It is a game where all you need is a "smart phone" and a free app to play. It is limited and not as rich of an experience as geocaching, but something you can do quickly with little prep before going in to the "field" to find.

I like it. I like the idea of having to scan a QR code to get credit for the find. This way people don't just randomly just say they found the cache. I hope this is implemented into Geocaching quickly.

Saaay wouldn't that be kinda like a high tech code word cache?

Yeah-we don't do that here anymore.

i just tried posting a cache with a munzee in it this is what i got

"Hi! I am a volunteer reviewer for geocaching.com. I am looking at your cache submission and unfortunately there is a problem. By focusing on the munzee website and game, your cache also focuses on a commercial enterprise and competitor to geocaching.com. This ends up at odds with the prohibitions in our listing guidelines against commercial caches, and the reviewers have been told not to list caches promoting or mentioning munzee at this time.

Here are the basic commercial prohibitions from the guidelines:

"Commercial Caches

Commercial caches attempt to use the Geocaching.com web site cache reporting tool directly or indirectly (intentionally or non-intentionally) to solicit customers through a Geocaching.com listing. These are NOT permitted. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services. If the finder is required to go inside the business, interact with employees, and/or purchase a product or service, then the cache is presumed to be commercial.

Some exceptions can be made. In these situations, permission can be given by Groundspeak. However, permission should be asked first before posting. If you are in doubt, ask first. If you do not have advance permission, your reviewer will refer you to Groundspeak.

Caches that Solicit

Solicitations are off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda."

You can read the guidelines here: (visit link)

Because of this, I cannot list the cache as is. But if you would like to ask Groundspeak for permission for the cache, you can appeal this decision by writing to appeals@geocaching.com.

I am going to disable the page. If you change the cache so the munzee is not included on the cache page, reenable the page and that will put it back in the queue for review.

Also feel free to email if you have questions or if I can be of assistance!

Thanks!"

That's not news.

If you read the last page of the thread linked to in my post above, you would see Keystone's post of August 4th:

I'm writing once again to confirm that Munzees cannot be mentioned on Geocaching.com cache listings. Whether an owner chooses to include a Munzee in their cache or near their cache is up to that owner, so long as the presence of the Munzee is not highlighted on the listing page.

IBTL

Edited by Pup Patrol