Premier Geocoin Race VI

Shilo

The Premier Geocoin Race VI is currently taking entries.

1 huge event will be used this year to start the race. The event you ask? Going Coastal...arrgh!

All other rules and categories remain basically the same as PGR V.

Items of interest for PGR VI:

*PGR VI is being launched at Georgia's largest geocaching event weekend ever.

*GEOTAGS will be allowed this year!! Basically anything with a tracking number OTHER than a travel bug tag.

*The race will run a little over 13 months this time(November 12, 2011 until December 31, 2012.

Check out the Premier Geocoin Race website for more information.

Post questions, comments or your interest in this thread or contact me via my profile.

:D

I'm taking my laptop with me with a database of all the racers and will track who takes what so at least I'll get everyone out of the gate!

My problem last time wasn't then getting out the gate, but rather a cacher who took a few and dropped them willie nillie into caches and then didn't log correct coins into correct caches. :mad:

I'd love to take part :)!

E-mail sent.

If anyone needs my address to send racers let me know.

Yeah, better send me the details again please. :)

I just added the event cache for this race to my watchlist and I'm really going to try to attend! Shilo, if it works out that I can come and you need any help at all, please let me know and let's keep in touch.

I have two questions:

1) Given this is the first year that geotags will be allowed to enter, I was wondering if there is a different "prize scenario" for the different kinds of racers? For example, if a geotag wins first place in either race category, will the owner win a geocoin or a geotag? I don't mean to suggest that there should be two separate races: one for coins and one for tags. My question only pertains to the prizes, and the answer will not change my entrants: I'm entering five geocoins, baby!

2) Would it be helpful to recruit other racers or groups of racers by writing an article for the "Latitude 47" blog or posting something on Facebook? I think there are lots of geocachers who might like the idea of a race but NEVER participate in the forums. Just a thought, although it might create more work for you, Shilo! I'd be willing to help with this effort if there are no fervent objections to publicizing the race a little bit beyond the forums.

Giving this thread a "bump" to drum up participation!

Coiners, you have a little over three months to enter your racers. This is a fun and organized way to get some racers in the world. If you have an extra coin (or two, or three,...) lying around, think about activating it, letting Shilo punch a hole through it, and attach a tag that lets everyone know it's in a race.

I want to enter 5 coins but have a question concerning the rules :

I have bought 3 new Oakcoins and have bought 2 other coins from another cacher. I have adopted these coins so that I am the owner now and they both have travelled 0 miles. But both coins have been logged into an event and have been discovered by about 10 cachers. Are these 2 coins not allowed to enter the race ? :rolleyes:

I want to enter 5 coins but have a question concerning the rules :

I have bought 3 new Oakcoins and have bought 2 other coins from another cacher. I have adopted these coins so that I am the owner now and they both have travelled 0 miles. But both coins have been logged into an event and have been discovered by about 10 cachers. Are these 2 coins not allowed to enter the race ? :rolleyes:

If the coin has been 'placed in' or 'took' to the event, those logs would need to be deleted first. The discovered or note logs will be fine.

The reason being is the event you mention is considered the starting point for those coins and when I place them into the starting cache for the PGR VI that will be the second placement and the mileage will calculate between the 2.

Hope that helps.

Thanks!! :)

I've been working 7 days a week since Memorial Day and this has kind of slipped my mind :(

I just added the event cache for this race to my watchlist and I'm really going to try to attend! Shilo, if it works out that I can come and you need any help at all, please let me know and let's keep in touch.

I have two questions:

1) Given this is the first year that geotags will be allowed to enter, I was wondering if there is a different "prize scenario" for the different kinds of racers? For example, if a geotag wins first place in either race category, will the owner win a geocoin or a geotag? I don't mean to suggest that there should be two separate races: one for coins and one for tags. My question only pertains to the prizes, and the answer will not change my entrants: I'm entering five geocoins, baby!

2) Would it be helpful to recruit other racers or groups of racers by writing an article for the "Latitude 47" blog or posting something on Facebook? I think there are lots of geocachers who might like the idea of a race but NEVER participate in the forums. Just a thought, although it might create more work for you, Shilo! I'd be willing to help with this effort if there are no fervent objections to publicizing the race a little bit beyond the forums.

1). I haven't considered anything separate for geocoins or geotags. Probably won't unless I get swamped with geotags and get many requests.

2). If you're a writer go for it!! You have been hired as the PGR VI PR director... :D Its pays very well B)

Anything you can think of to spur interest is fine.

On the Going Coastal front, we'd love to have you come. It will be fun if its half of what it was last year. And its 5 events bigger this year. If you come I'd love the help. I figure it wont take long to hand out the racers with nearly 500 cachers being present. Get a hold of me if/when you know you are going to be there.

The reason being is the event you mention is considered the starting point for those coins and when I place them into the starting cache for the PGR VI that will be the second placement and the mileage will calculate between the 2.

:unsure: Sorry for that question ... :lol:

I will send you my 5 coins soon !

Thanks!! :)

I've been working 7 days a week since Memorial Day and this has kind of slipped my mind :(

2). If you're a writer go for it!! You have been hired as the PGR VI PR director... :D Its pays very well B)

Anything you can think of to spur interest is fine.

On the Going Coastal front, we'd love to have you come. It will be fun if its half of what it was last year. And its 5 events bigger this year. If you come I'd love the help. I figure it wont take long to hand out the racers with nearly 500 cachers being present. Get a hold of me if/when you know you are going to be there.

Ah, now I can add "PR Director" to my resume! And with that enviable salary, I can afford to enter FIVE racers!

I just emailed you for your mailing address. After two years in the PGR, I know I should have it already. Better work on my organization skills if I'm to be PR Director.

Email sent.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm new to this, but I have 5 geocoins and will happily send them forth into the wild. (Shiver me timbers!) I'll be participating in the Rock n Roll Savannah Half Marathon when the contest officially kicks off, though, so I won't be at that event (though I plan to attend others over the weekend). Will that be a problem?

Edited by getnthinr

Email sent.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm new to this, but I have 5 geocoins and will happily send them forth into the wild. (Shiver me timbers!) I'll be participating in the Rock n Roll Savannah Half Marathon when the contest officially kicks off, though, so I won't be at that event (though I plan to attend others over the weekend). Will that be a problem?

Reply sent :)

Ahoy Mateys!

I have my five Oakcoins geocoins/geotags selected and will be shipping them off shortly to Shilo for drilling, tagging, and release into the PGR VI!

I will get them activated first of course.

Shilo, I still have your address from last year, I figure it hasn't changed, right?

I look forward to this race again!!

Shiloh, I just wanted to check in and make sure that my coins made it to you safely. Thanks for all of your work in making the race happen. - desmal

Yes I have them. I need to get started on this!! Its hard working 7 days a week. But I will get started soon :lol:

Shilo, I still have your address from last year, I figure it hasn't changed, right?

If its a Hiram, GA address you still have it :)

We had a such a great time last year that I'd love to enter again. I'll have to see what we can do about coming up with coins. Maybe check out some new ones. It's been a long time since I bought anything. Come to think of it it's been months since I saw one of our coins move. But things have been difficult so maybe I just missed the message. I wish we could come to the event.

Ahoy Mateys!

I have my five Oakcoins geocoins/geotags selected and will be shipping them off shortly to Shilo for drilling, tagging, and release into the PGR VI!

I will get them activated first of course.

My coins are activated and will be put in the mail today -- the first of their journeys, which I hope will be long and active!!

The Entry List for PGR VI is online!!!! Click the Premier Geoicoin Race link in my sig line and click the PGR VI tab.

Please check out your racer's info and let me know if anything is incorrect.

All the racer's I have are up. If you don't see your racer's, you had better get them in the mail :D

The entry list is up to date. :)

Anybody that wants in on time for the start, I will need your racers by this coming Wednesday. Otherwise, you will be entered but will start a week late.

Also, any racers handed to me at the Going Coastal events will be run through the event page and will start a week late as well. Please mark them as PGR racers. I am sure I will have all sorts of geocoins and don't want to mix them up.

And I have made the decision to give all PGRVI racers to the MaxB's Travel Bug Group Tour hosted by Max B on the River so everyone will get at least 1 move. See the link for more details. I am volunteering to work the Tour booth at Going Coastal for a few hours in exchange for this. Good luck to everyone!!! The green flag is almost here!! :lol:

Edited by Shilo

The race is under way!!! I just got home(30 minutes ago) from Going Coastal in Savannah, GA, so give me some time to get everything updated. I have around a dozen more entrants to get ready and a few errors brought to my attention. I will get this corrected in the next few days.

Good luck to everyone. Have a great race :D

The standings are updated for PGR VI!!! :D

Every single racer that was at the Going Coastal...arrrgh!! Mega event was picked up. Not everyone has been placed yet. Max B, LZ33 and myself will take excellent care of the racers.

The official start was November 12 but the first racer wasn't placed until November 17th so no worries if you haven't been placed yet. We all attended the events of the weekend and was tired and still recovering-)

Good luck to everyone!! If you see something wrong or incorrect on your racer PLEASE let me know and I will get it corrected.

~Shilo

Standings are updated!!

:)

Why is it that these 2 (below) don't have the same mileage that you have listed?

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=3768916

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=3120001

The 1st one is because someone "took" it to a cache since its last placement. I do not get 'took it" to logs so I have no idea it was logged. Groundspeak only sends e-mails notifications for discovery, notes, placement and retrieve logs.

The 2nd racer is correct now. I updated the standings and didn't come here and post that I did. Probably at the time of your post the same thing as the 1st racer you listed happened to the 2nd.

Shilo, are you able to incorporate "visited" logs in the standings updates?

One of my racers has more mileage than reflected in the latest updates, but it's because it has "visited" lots of caches in lots of states without having been "dropped off" anywhere.

This is the racer: TB2D489

Also, thank you so much for following the race! I bet it seems like no one is watching the race or keeping up with their racers. this is not the case.

One of my racers has more mileage than reflected in the latest updates, but it's because it has "visited" lots of caches in lots of states without having been "dropped off" anywhere.

Also, thank you so much for following the race! I bet it seems like no one is watching the race or keeping up with their racers. this is not the case.

The mileage for visited logs will be counted. Groundspeak doesn't send out e-mail notifications for those log types so I have to wait until the racer is placed to get a e-mail notification.

Unless someone(like yourself) tells me I won't know until the next placement. I will go to your racer you specified and update it when I do the standings.

I have 2 coins that are in the hands of two cachers. One has picked up one of mine on Dec. 29 and another cacher picked up one of my other coin on Jan. 1. Both of them have went geocaching since then but did not dropped the coins off. I hope these 2 don't go missing but I know this happens all the time :(

Thank you Shilo for updating the standings and having this race.

The mileage for visited logs will be counted. Groundspeak doesn't send out e-mail notifications for those log types so I have to wait until the racer is placed to get a e-mail notification.

Unless someone(like yourself) tells me I won't know until the next placement. I will go to your racer you specified and update it when I do the standings.

That makes sense, I suppose. I don't receive emails when a coin "visits" or is picked up - ONLY when placed. How annoying! Why bother sending owners alerts at all, if the alerts only cover two-thirds of the activity possibilities? I know this has been brought up before, so I guess I'm just joining the frustrated choir.

Don't worry, Shilo. I won't email you the status of my racers every week. Perhaps this is just something we need to worry about as the race gets closer to the end?

Thanks for the answer and the updates. Hope your 2012 has more "FOUND" geocaches than race updates!

Hello racers :-)

I've had some personal issues and now computer problems. The first part is all taken care of:-))

The computer is back going and the standings are updated but I forgot my log-in/password to my ftp site to upload the new data. I've contacted my network guy and will upload the standings when my problem is resolved.

I'm sorry for the delays.