Same cache Twice in My Finds Query

Don't know if anybody else has seen this, but my list of finds has a duplicate in it. I checked the log for the duplicate, and found that I had logged it only once - or at least, there was only one log with my name on it!

Any clues to what this means? Do I have one less find than the statistics show????

Don't know if anybody else has seen this, but my list of finds has a duplicate in it. I checked the log for the duplicate, and found that I had logged it only once - or at least, there was only one log with my name on it!

Any clues to what this means? Do I have one less find than the statistics show????

Your statistics page shows that you do indeed have one cache logged twice:

LewProudfoot has found 519 caches (518 distinct) since 01/12/2008.

If you use GSAK and download your My Finds pocket query, you can easily identify the twice-logged cache using filters. If you believe you already know which cache, but used the "You found this cache <when>" link on the top right of the cache page, I'm not sure that will show multiple finds. You would probably have to do a text search for your name after expanding the page to show all logs.

If you are using GSAK, you'll need to delete the waypoint in GSAK, the reload the GPX file from geocaching.com

If you need step-by-step directions:

1. Go into GSAK, and double-click on the cache to open it in your browser

2. Back in GSAK, highlight the waypoint and use WAYPOINT/DELETE WAYPOINT(s) off the menu and choose THIS WAYPOINT ONLY

3. In your browser, check one more time to see that you didn't log it twice...make sure you VIEW THEM ALL to see all the logs

4. Click the GPX file button to download/open the GPX file...varies greatly depending on browser

5. When you open the file, it will download into GSAK and add the waypoint back to your database.

I hope that helps.

Edited by gsmx2

Boy, that was fast! Guess I wasn't that clear. In the results of the pocket query itself, one cache is listed twice: GC16ZK3. When I go to that cache, and go through ALL the logs, I see my name as originator only once, out of the 44 logs that are there. So, what causes the phenomenon that Knowschad pointed out: Groundspeak knows I have one double counted - what causes that?

I do use gsak, but that's not the problem - this is in the myfinds query twice before I ever get to GSAK.

In the results of the pocket query itself, one cache is listed twice: GC16ZK3. When I go to that cache, and go through ALL the logs, I see my name as originator only once, out of the 44 logs that are there. So, what causes the phenomenon that Knowschad pointed out: Groundspeak knows I have one double counted - what causes that?

I do use gsak, but that's not the problem - this is in the myfinds query twice before I ever get to GSAK.

Perhaps GC16ZK3 appears in your MyFinds query once as a "Found It" and a second time as a "Did Not Find" or "Write Note?" You can use GSAK to filter for all caches that you have found more than once. When you do that, does it point to GC16ZK3 as being found twice? Or is another cache responsible?

Well, cool. I went through GSAK, as suggested, and - now there is another double entry, GC18D3J. Again, when I go through all the logs, there is only one log of mine.

There is a possibility that if you enter a log, saying found, then immediately edit that log to say NOT FOUND, oops, that it gets counted as a find, even though the complete log shows only one entry. I've seen that - wonder if this is what's happening.

Run a new MyFinds PQ and open it in a NEW database. Then check it.

If you open it in an existing database you could have a previously deleted on GS log that is being read by GSAK.

(Such as a Found log, downloaded to GSAK, then changed to DNF/Note etc on the cache page.)

When (If!) you find the log, in GSAK, right click on the cache, select Delete logs... And delete the offending log.

If you deleted a double find for GC18D3J on geocaching.com, then that update was incorporated into your next MyFinds file. But when you merged that new MyFinds file into your existing GSAK database, the merge didn't remove the second found for GC18D3J from the database. Merges add, but they don't subtract.

What you'll need to do is delete the GC18D3J entry from your GSAK database, then merge your new MyFinds file again. GSAK will see that a GC18D3J entry needs to be added to its database and will add the GC18D3J from your MyFinds file (with only the single found).

Edit: Of course, none of this explains why your geocaching.com statistics are displaying a duplicate find.

Edited by CanadianRockies

Thanks, Canadian Rockies - that is exactly the question - why does Groundspeak think I have a doubled cache? GSAK has nothign to do with this. In fact, the way I found it, after idly wondering why my stats looked that way, was I loaded the myfinds query into Garmnin's Maps. There they were! And now I have a different one. I just did a new one, we'll see what that says.

MYSTERY SOLVED!!!!!!

The new myfinds query did not have a duplicate in it - fixed something? Don't know.

But the stats continued to be provocative. So, I went to my profile, and clicked on "All Logs." I went through all 520 logs - and found that I had indeed logged one find TWICE. It was a favorite, so maybe there is some excuse. But still, the two logs are sequential, with the same date, it's clearly a mistake. Would love Groundspeak to provide a tool to find these - I can't believe I'm the only one dumb enough to log the same cache twice, but, who knows, I'm pretty dumb!

Anyway, thank you very much everybody who contributed ideas that finally resulted in tracking this down - even though my count is one less, it is CORRECT, and that counts for much more!!!

Thanks again

In the results of the pocket query itself, one cache is listed twice: GC16ZK3. When I go to that cache, and go through ALL the logs, I see my name as originator only once, out of the 44 logs that are there. So, what causes the phenomenon that Knowschad pointed out: Groundspeak knows I have one double counted - what causes that?

Perhaps GC16ZK3 appears in your MyFinds query once as a "Found It" and a second time as a "Did Not Find" or "Write Note?" You can use GSAK to filter for all caches that you have found more than once. When you do that, does it point to GC16ZK3 as being found twice? Or is another cache responsible?

the "my finds" PQ is just that, the finds only, no dnf's or notes in it

All this GSAK manipulation to remove duplicates is absurd. I wrote a little program called FindStats back when the My Finds PQ was new that would identify which caches are logged more than once. Go get it and use it to figure out which are duplicated.

I would recommend never importing your finds into GSAK until the data has been thoroughly cleaned.

All this GSAK manipulation to remove duplicates is absurd. I wrote a little program called FindStats back when the My Finds PQ was new that would identify which caches are logged more than once. Go get it and use it to figure out which are duplicated.

I would recommend never importing your finds into GSAK until the data has been thoroughly cleaned.

So you recommend using two programs when one will do the job. GSAK can identify the "problem" cache and "clean" the data also.

I guess my MyFinds PQ is special, because it includes not only "Found it" logs but also "Write note," "Needs maintenance," "Will attend," and several other log types.

only for caches you have eventually found

if you only logged a DNF on a cache it will not show up in the "my finds" PQ

In the results of the pocket query itself, one cache is listed twice: GC16ZK3.

Perhaps GC16ZK3 appears in your MyFinds query once as a "Found It" and a second time as a "Did Not Find" or "Write Note?"

I guess my MyFinds PQ is special, because it includes not only "Found it" logs but also "Write note," "Needs maintenance," "Will attend," and several other log types.

only for caches you have eventually found

if you only logged a DNF on a cache it will not show up in the "my finds" PQ

I understand that, and it was precisely this type of cache (one eventually found) to which I addressed my original comment.