Munzee: Tie in to Geocaching?

Someone made a topic about dead drops (USB's plastered to walls and such) a few days ago, because they are sort of similar to geocaching. Now I've stumbled upon this:

http://www.munzee.com/

It is basically like a geocache, except instead of a logbook, you use a QR code that a smartphone reads. Could this have a possible tie-in to geocaching?

I like the idea. Perhaps like a letterbox hybrid, a munzee hybrid?

Someone made a topic about dead drops (USB's plastered to walls and such) a few days ago, because they are sort of similar to geocaching. Now I've stumbled upon this:

It is basically like a geocache, except instead of a logbook, you use a QR code that a smartphone reads. Could this have a possible tie-in to geocaching?

I like the idea. Perhaps like a letterbox hybrid, a munzee hybrid?

Exactly.

Except I just can't get over how terrible of a name "Munzee" is.

First thought, "Hmmmmmm, that IS kind of interesting."

Second thought, "Oh dear, do I have to learn something new? I feel like after two years we are just getting the hang of THIS!"

Third thought, "It DOES look intriguing..."

The thing is... how would the app work in places with no cell phone signal? It seems like my favorite caches are WAY the heck out in no man's land... so this probably won't be for me. Unless GPSrs start being compatible, that is... and with only 720 players I just don't see that happening any time soon (I could be wrong).

--Momma Caswell

Second thought, "Oh dear, do I have to learn something new? I feel like after two years we are just getting the hang of THIS!"

The thing is... how would the app work in places with no cell phone signal? It seems like my favorite caches are WAY the heck out in no man's land... so this probably won't be for me. Unless GPSrs start being compatible, that is... and with only 720 players I just don't see that happening any time soon (I could be wrong).

--Momma Caswell

You don't need service to scan a qr code. If for some reason your phone didn't work at all, you could always take a picture of it and scan it later, but as stated before, you don't need any bars to scan a qr code.

Is there a way to play this without a smart phone?

My phone is circa 1998, and dumb as a bag of hammers.

If you're using a 13 year old phone then I'm sorry, but I just have to say, you're dumber than your phone and a bag of hammers put together. Nothing personal.

' timestamp='1310714402' post='4776159']

If you're using a 13 year old phone then I'm sorry, but I just have to say, you're dumber than your phone and a bag of hammers put together. Nothing personal.

Nice.

Some of us are not allowed to have smart phones at work (secure facility for example) so our phones make phone calls, that's about it. No web, no camera, no apps. Does not make us dumb as hammers.

And I'd re-read the forum guidelines before I'd post again if I were you. And adding "Nothing personal" to an insult doesn't make it right.

1. Forum courtesy: Please treat Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, fellow community members, and guests on these boards with courtesy and respect. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they should be treated fairly.

3. Personal attacks and inflammatory behavior will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad. General attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

My family is on a tight budget. We can't afford the absurd data rates required by most smart phones. So we have dumb phones that allow you to text and make this ancient thing called a phone call. I guess that makes us dumb too.

If you're using our forums to insult other members of the geocaching community, you shouldn't be posting.

Nothing personal.

Adding the phrase "nothing personal" at the end of a personal attack doesn't keep it from being a personal attack.

We recently put out a series around QR Codes. Instructions on how to scan these without a smartphone are In the description: http://coord.info/GC2YPCX

I didn't think it was kosher to have a finder be required to email the cache owner for coordinates.

They don't actually email the CO. They email an empty, unmonitored email address with an auto-reply (not unlike the several caches discussed around here which require finders to call a phone number and listen to a voicemail greeting). If they're concerned about privacy, there's nothing stopping them from doing so from a dummy email address. In any event, given where we put the final and the 2 mile proximity rule on mystery caches, burying parts of the coords in the codes made it too susceptible to brute force.

--Momma Caswell

You don't need service to scan a qr code. If for some reason your phone didn't work at all, you could always take a picture of it and scan it later, but as stated before, you don't need any bars to scan a qr code.

I thought this looked interesting too so I started reading the forums...

I'm pretty sure you do have to have cell phone service and a smart phone to use it.

"Each QR code has a unique value encoded on it that includes your username and the unique ID # for that munzee. The software uses two data points to validate the fide: the QR code data and your current lat/long. Currently the proximity is set pretty high while we monitor the data and how captures are going."

I'm not sure how else it would work other than with a smart phone, since you have to also prove you're at that location.

From the little bit I looked at it, it sounds rather boring. Just a way to ring up points, right? There's no story behind each "Munzee", no interesting logging... in other words, it IS all about the numbers. Which is fine, if that is what you want, but it wouldn't attract me. It sure isn't "taking geocaching to the next level", unless that level is down.

The "cache page":

Creator: snicker

Friendly Name: WP: Road Bridge

Notes: Whitley Place Series: Where Trolls live

Created At: 2011-06-25 13:36:19

Last Captured At: 2011-07-10 11:09:23

Number of Captures: 11

Deployed: YES

Decimal: 33.24221 / -96.73776

DDD MM.MMM: 33° 14.533 / -96° 44.266

DDD MM SS.SSS: 33° 14' 31.956" / -96° 44' 15.936"

The "logs":

grimmy's - 2011-07-10 11:09:23

markmcduffie - 2011-06-26 16:47:34

bmjones25 - 2011-06-26 08:26:53

Adding the phrase "nothing personal" at the end of a personal attack doesn't keep it from being a personal attack.

I've often felt the same way about a liberal use of smiley faces. Adding a smiley face to something that is insulting or offensive doesn't make it any less insulting or offensive.

Nice.

Some of us are not allowed to have smart phones at work (secure facility for example) so our phones make phone calls, that's about it. No web, no camera, no apps. Does not make us dumb as hammers.

And I'd re-read the forum guidelines before I'd post again if I were you. And adding "Nothing personal" to an insult doesn't make it right.

yup, work requires me to have 2 way on my phone and no camera. And since the company pays for this phone/service I think I'm pretty dadgum smart to not pay up to $100 a month and have to carry 2 phones.

edit: dadgum? LOL auto correct on here makes me sound older than any telephone :)

Edited by Scrabblers

I thought chirps already took geocaching to the next level.

Munzee just seems to be yet another location-based smartphone game that can be added to the list of such games. I am too busy geocaching and ispying to give it much attention. Ethercaches might have had a greater potential for some kind of tie in to this game, but that was quickly stopped by the powers that be. Perhaps whereigos will take geocaching to the next level.

Edited by mulvaney

Munzee B

They are just beginning, whether it takes time will tell, I just "deployed 2 in the RI area, there are a few in CT.

I figure since GS will not allow "Ethercaches", so I have not tied a munzee themed geocache yet, perhaps never.

I like the Munzee, so many possibilities, again only time will tell.

Sorry Brother. I was not aware that the age of my phone had any impact on my IQ. Could that be why most puzzles elude me? My phone is making me dumb? Hey, it's gotta be something killing all those brain cells, right? Might as well blame the phone. :lol:

Back to my original question;

I don't know anything about the processing steps for QR barcodes.

I'm assuming that the software on a smart phone extracts the encrypted data as the image is downloaded to the device? Maybe?

If I took a picture of the QR code with my digital camera, (which, being 5 years old, is almost as dumb as my phone), could I download the image to my desktop and extract the data there? :unsure:

Sorry Brother. I was not aware that the age of my phone had any impact on my IQ. Could that be why most puzzles elude me? My phone is making me dumb? Hey, it's gotta be something killing all those brain cells, right? Might as well blame the phone. :lol:

I'm assuming that the software on a smart phone extracts the encrypted data as the image is downloaded to the device? Maybe?

If I took a picture of the QR code with my digital camera, (which, being 5 years old, is almost as dumb as my phone), could I download the image to my desktop and extract the data there? :unsure:

I went ahead and googled it for you. A blog I found talks about how you can e-mail a picture to scan@scanlife.com and they will send back what the QR code said. I don't know if it works, I haven't tried it.

I also like your signature line. That's kinda' insulting too.

You could probably take a picture with your DUMB camera and do the legwork at home, but from the looks of it you probably wouldn't enjoy it...and shouldn't bother.

I certainly know I am not interested.

But I do thank the OP for pointing this out, so I could check it out.

Personally, I'm thrilled that some of the "blank loggers" may find something more to their liking. B)

Seriously, this does sound more like geocaching than any of the other GPS related games I've seen. But it seems too impersonal to me, with no cache pages and no logging. Very cold, just about the "score".

Personally, I'm thrilled that some of the "blank loggers" may find something more to their liking. B)

Seriously, this does sound more like geocaching than any of the other GPS related games I've seen. But it seems too impersonal to me, with no cache pages and no logging. Very cold, just about the "score".

I did not like this either. It doesn't feel like a community the way geocaching does... but perhaps this is because it's still new, and there aren't that many players yet.

I would log them if they were tied in with geocaches, the same way I do letterboxes.

QR codes never scan for me on my Blackberry so I think it's a terrible idea.

You're right! You have to add "no offense" for that.

Or "just sayin."

That game seems to require a specific program to play, (not just require a QR Code reader) and that program is only available for iPhones and Android phones, so no Windows Mobile devices or Windows Phone 7 devices will work. It also sounds like you do need a data connection in order to "deploy" a munzee and maybe to find one.

As far as QR Codes however, there are online creators and decoders as well as decoders for PC and various types of smartphones. (My Windows Mobile 6.1 phone has a QR Code reader on it, and using it does not require a data connection, though any links that may be contained in a QR Code would. It's possible to make QR Codes that just have text info in them though.) I am assuming that the QR Codes that are actually "depolyed" will have a URL in them that the program accesses in order to log a location (for deploying) or to make a find. Since that program isn't available for PC, workarounds like using a camera and decoding the code on a PC may not work. Hard to tell how things will go in the future though. Right now it apparently is being run and developed by just 4 people.

' timestamp='1310792365' post='4777197']

My dad walked 10 miles to school every day in the pouring snow and then back home again and it was uphill both ways, me, I drove.

*gag*

Did you really write that?

:laughing:

Couldn't you have just backpedaled or moved the goalposts like a proper troll?

Edited by d+n.s
' timestamp='1310792365' post='4777197']

My dad walked 10 miles to school every day in the pouring snow and then back home again and it was uphill both ways, me, I drove.

It was nice of him to do all that walking to educate himself so that you could have a life that would let you afford a car, huh? (OK, I know that was humor, really I do.)

If you're using our forums to insult other members of the geocaching community, you shouldn't be posting.

Nothing personal.

For those of us who do have the required phone (Atrix 4G here) it looks like it could solve a big problem - signature verification.

Put the QR Code in the logbook.

You have to scan the QR Code and your GPS provides your location at the time it is scanned, creating a code that is a combination of info from the QR image and your GPS location... Instant verification that you were in fact there and found the QR Code in the logbook.

Taking a picture of the code then logging it when you get home won't get you anything because the GPS location won't match the QR Code and will show the wrong location.

Obviously it can't be the only logging method but I totally think Groundspeak needs to adopt this as a logging method choice.

Actual proof that you found it... how cool is that?

Unfortunately just the name Munzee makes me wonder about the developers. Serisouly bad choice of names.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

You do not need a listening/tracking/recording device that you pay for, to decrypt standard QR codes. If I am reading correctly tho, you have to be within a specific range of the coords when decrypting the QR for this "don't wanna even think the dumb sounding word based off of mums the word", and that means running an app that not only does the decrypting but is reading the GPS. So yes, you need a "let them have the ability to intrude into you life anytime they want" phone.

They = criminals ranging from the tech savvy street thug to the (any level of government) LEO who doesn't take his oath to defend the constitution seriously.

Unfortunately just the name Munzee makes me wonder about the developers. Serisouly bad choice of names.

Im guessing they are just trying to get around those pesky copy write infringements

At first I thought it was based off of Münze, but I have heard from multiple sources that it was based off of mums the word but with a typo that stuck.

My family is on a tight budget. We can't afford the absurd data rates required by most smart phones. So we have dumb phones that allow you to text and make this ancient thing called a phone call. I guess that makes us dumb too.

I'm so dumb that I only pay $8.33 a month for cell service which allows me to make and receive, of all things, phone calls. If I'm ever out and about and need some info fast, I just get one of my smart friends to look it up for me on their $100 a month phone.

I'm so dumb that I only pay $8.33 a month for cell service which allows me to make and receive, of all things, phone calls. If I'm ever out and about and need some info fast, I just get one of my smart friends to look it up for me on their $100 a month phone.

I hear you! I'm so dumb I let the company pay for my phone/2-way radio unit that does just that, phone calls and direct connect with other employees.

Every now and then I think maybe I should get one of those fancy units...then quickly think of what else I could spend the $$$ on. Like a massage every 3 weeks - another twist to "reach out and touch someone"

That game seems to require a specific program to play, (not just require a QR Code reader) and that program is only available for iPhones and Android phones, so no Windows Mobile devices or Windows Phone 7 devices will work. It also sounds like you do need a data connection in order to "deploy" a munzee and maybe to find one.

...and actually you have to have a newer iPhone. If your iPhone doesn't have an auto focus camera (I think many iPhone 3’s do not), you can’t do a munzee with it.

Yes, you could do that. Basically, a QR code is just an image, which contains meaning, not by adding data to the image, but through the orientation of the "colors" as a pattern. A QR code reader is necessary to extract meaning from the image, but it does more than that. Once it has extracted the information, it can send it to an additional application for processing. For example, if the information is a text string which looks like a URL, it can send it to a web browser, to request a web page from a server and display a web page.

When using a smart phone, the capture device (camera), reader and processor all run on the same hardware. That's the advantage of QR codes. From a physical image you can extract data, then use that data in applications on the same device. The only difference, with your approach is that you're using multiple devices/systems to do the same thing. In this case, the digital camera is used to capture the image, a copy of it is saved on your computer, then sent to an external system which is running a QR reader, and the results sent back to your computer for processing (i.e. opening up a URL in your web browser.) At the end of the day, the results are the same.

BTW, I've got an old Blackberry Pearl lying around that I don't use anymore. If you want it, let me know.

BTW, I've got an old Blackberry Pearl lying around that I don't use anymore. If you want it, let me know.

Thanx! :)

But I must politely decline. :(

I have just enough inner curmudgeon that I actively abhor cell phones. The only reason I carry one today is because my boss pays for it, and requires that I keep it handy. When I retire I plan on never again having something so obtrusive pestering me. B)

Yes, you could do that. Basically, a QR code is just an image, which contains meaning, not by adding data to the image, but through the orientation of the "colors" as a pattern. A QR code reader is necessary to extract meaning from the image, but it does more than that. Once it has extracted the information, it can send it to an additional application for processing. For example, if the information is a text string which looks like a URL, it can send it to a web browser, to request a web page from a server and display a web page.

When using a smart phone, the capture device (camera), reader and processor all run on the same hardware. That's the advantage of QR codes. From a physical image you can extract data, then use that data in applications on the same device. The only difference, with your approach is that you're using multiple devices/systems to do the same thing. In this case, the digital camera is used to capture the image, a copy of it is saved on your computer, then sent to an external system which is running a QR reader, and the results sent back to your computer for processing (i.e. opening up a URL in your web browser.) At the end of the day, the results are the same.

One of us misunderstands Munzee. Yes, it reads QR Codes as you describe, but then it also reads your current GPS coordinates when you scan the QR Code and combines the two into a unique data token that can only be created by scanning the code at the given site. You can create the QR Scan or the coordinate location separately, but what you cannot do is combine them into a single data token that proves that you were at a specific coordinate when you scanned the QR.

I get the folks who say they don't have and don't want the devices capable of doing this, I have lots of ham radio friends with tube radios from the 30's thru 70's who insist they'll never go digital, and that's okay. Don't want to hunt Munzees? K, then you don't need the equipment!