Field Notes

There's a line of text above the file selection box that reads "Ignore logs before 08/24/2011 19:42:00" (your time/date will be different). What does it say? Is the box to the left checked?

Once in a rare while, you'll get an errant date, and it will ignore the finds in the uploaded file.

Next, hook up to your PC and take a quick peek at the file on your unit called Garmin/geocache_visits.txt with a text editor. The entries should look like this (again, with a more recent date/time stamp):

GC1ZFTX,2010-07-08T15:33Z,Found it,""

GC1NJVF,2010-07-08T15:40Z,Found it,""

GC1HXPT,2010-07-08T15:44Z,Found it,""

Look at the entries for any strange dates or other anomalies.

Almost last, the use of a " character in ANY of your field notes can cause them to be mis-parsed and ignored. You will want to check for any quote characters that you might have added to your logs. You'll see that each entry ends with a pair. Those are OK. You just don't want them anywhere else.

Last last --- your geocache_visits.txt is never removed unless you delete it. If there is anything funky in there that is causing a mis-parsing at gc.com, it won't ever go away until you delete the geocache_visits.txt file and start clean.

I have trouble posting only my current field notes. It used to be that the box to not include previous notes was available when you first uploaded. Now it waits to appear until after you have uploaded. I have almost 2000 field notes on my device and this is very frustrating to work with. Can this glitch be worked out without me having to erase my finds file? I am loading them diect from the unit to online

Can this glitch be worked out without me having to erase my finds file? I am loading them diect from the unit to online

I think you're misunderstanding the function of the file. It's JUST a text file of your cache notes. Deleting it will NOT remove the "found" status of the caches already on your unit. When you are done uploading your cache notes, you can feel free to delete the geocache_visits.txt file, copy it to your PC, or whatever. It no longer plays a part.

I have trouble posting only my current field notes. It used to be that the box to not include previous notes was available when you first uploaded. Now it waits to appear until after you have uploaded. I have almost 2000 field notes on my device and this is very frustrating to work with. Can this glitch be worked out without me having to erase my finds file? I am loading them diect from the unit to online

not a glitch at all, the problem is that you are using the "delete all" in the field notes, which it does delete everything including the setting to Ignore Logs before a certain date

you should use either the "bulk delete" option or if you just use the "compose log" option from the field notes it will be automatically deleted once you logged it

The latest firmware added a second field notes file on the GPS. The one you upload has a .txt extenstion, the new one has an xml extenstion. Maybe you are uploading the wrong file. I think the xml file is for Garmin's site. The file names are the same so if you have your computer set to not show extensiotns, it could be hard to tell the correct file to upload.

Can this glitch be worked out without me having to erase my finds file? I am loading them diect from the unit to online

I think you're misunderstanding the function of the file. It's JUST a text file of your cache notes. Deleting it will NOT remove the "found" status of the caches already on your unit. When you are done uploading your cache notes, you can feel free to delete the geocache_visits.txt file, copy it to your PC, or whatever. It no longer plays a part.

I hope so! I just deleted all the old files and I will be bummed if a friend loads a pocket query on my GPS of caches they haven't found and I wind up looking for something I have found before

The latest firmware added a second field notes file on the GPS. The one you upload has a .txt extenstion, the new one has an xml extenstion. Maybe you are uploading the wrong file. I think the xml file is for Garmin's site. The file names are the same so if you have your computer set to not show extensiotns, it could be hard to tell the correct file to upload.

I didn't see any other file named that way