Demographics of Geocachers

geocat_

I have been geocaching for less than a year and I am truly addicted! I do not consider myself an expert but I am learning more about this sport every day. One of my wife and my favorite things to do is to attend geocaching events. It is always fun to meet the people behind the geo-names. I look forward to doing this at the upcoming Midwest Geobash next week tongue.gif

I did notice one thing in common with these events and the cachers who attended...I don't recall seeing one minority cacher in attendance at any of the 4 events my wife and I have attended. Now I am certain there are minority cachers, but I was wondering if the percentage is quite low in other areas of the US. (Of course, since this forum is international, I assume the term "minority" is relative to where you might be reading this). If so, any ideas about why?

I don't want this thread to become a racially heated topic. I am certainly not saying minorities shouldn't cache, aren't able to cache, etc. I am just curious if what I am seeing in Dayton, OH is common to other areas as well.

I'd guess what you're seeing in Dayton, OH is what you'd see of most random groups from Dayton, OH. Very similar here, although we do have a large university in town, and have several international students rotate through the caching club. Some of our most active "locals" are only here for 4 years at a time.

I have noticed the age thing as well. That one I have a theory for. This game isn't, for the most part, a mixer type pastime. Those of us who participate aren't trying to meet people like the younger set are. We have our wive, husbands, loves of whatever type. The teen and twenty somethings are busy trying to get to that point in their life.

As for the other demographic divisions I don't know. Cultural differences happen. I don't see a problem as long as there isn't some effort being expended to produce the result. All are welcome to join.

Like Knowschad I have a recollection of this being covered before. It seems I recall that the person who started it seemed to think that something should be done about it. Not sure what that something should be. Or even if my recollection is correct.

Like Knowschad I have a recollection of this being covered before. It seems I recall that the person who started it seemed to think that something should be done about it. Not sure what that something should be. Or even if my recollection is correct.

Affirmative action geocaching. Now, that's more like it! :)

Another thing that I've seen a number of times, is young couple with kids. They cache for a year or two until the kids realize that it really isn't cool, and to become old enough to care about that. Or, a young couple starts caching together, starts a family, and finds that they simply don't have time for it anymore. OR, a young family finds that driving their kids to soccer games, little league and so on just takes too much time and doesn't leave any for geocaching.

Another thing that I've seen a number of times, is young couple with kids. They cache for a year or two until the kids realize that it really isn't cool, and to become old enough to care about that. Or, a young couple starts caching together, starts a family, and finds that they simply don't have time for it anymore. OR, a young family finds that driving their kids to soccer games, little league and so on just takes too much time and doesn't leave any for geocaching.

So your saying this is a past time for old, fat, white guys? Of course, how would you know, your just a dog.

So your saying this is a past time for old, fat, white guys? Of course, how would you know, your just a dog.

And their trophy wives, of course. :lol:

Demopgraphy is always an interesting question. Althoughr the groups do not have much overlap, in my area the demography among cachers is somewhat similar to the darts matches I have attended -- Bill Davis is one of the top players in this country but largely it is a white crowd. With caching it is probably related to people with time on their hands, a certain penchant for gadgetry, an interest in poking around for ammo cans, lock n' locks, or bison tubes. But why do some people gravitate toward certain games, rather than others? There are a great many factors in that.

Economics., culture, and experience are different among us. Some African-Americans probably would not feel comfortable poking around some of the residential areas where I have cached, the neighbors might raise more of an eyebrow than they do with me.. Still, I have also done a few caches with an African-American friend who keeps telling me that he is going to take up the game one of these days, perhaps if there were more African American cachers there would be more African American cachers, if that makes sense.

Most people, of whatever color , background, or age look at me kind of funny when I try to describe caching to them -- but then again most cachers look at me kind of funny when I tell them about how Phil is doing in the World Matchplay. So the failure to understand a game is certainly equal opportunity. Go figure.

I am a bit older than most of the active cachers in my area. In the group hikes that we do, there are many more men than women. But that dynamic changes a bit when we have events. I would like to feel that people of whatever background are welcome in this game. From what I understand, caching has always embraced people of different backgrounds -- Mitsuko was a prime example during the brief period of time that she was active.

Edited by justacacher

Of course, it all depends on how you choose to define 'minority'. And that can be a very difficult question! The largest minority in the country 'women' is actually a majority.

Geocaching requires the disposable income to afford a GPS, and the free time to hunt for geocaches. That does leave out many of the poor peoples. Many of whom tend to be 'minorities'. There is also the 'mental inclination' that finds this a fun thing to do. I thnk that makes it more a male oreinted pass time.

And my hair is only white because I haven't had the time to dye it!

Techy people, with some money to spare, and the apare time to do it? Yeah. Mostly older white males.

We started caching when I was *counts fingers* 27 and my husband was 29, and we had young kids. I'm so glad that didn't stop us. But we've always been a family that makes it a priority to take our kids out into nature. Our kids were skiing before they could walk, we took our kids on a cross country road trip in an un-air conditioned subaru when our son was 2 months old, I remember sitting in that subaru in the mountains nursing our son while my husband was belaying our 3-4 year old while rock climbing, etc. We've always incorporated them into our lives.

We started caching when I was *counts fingers* 27 and my husband was 29, and we had young kids. I'm so glad that didn't stop us. But we've always been a family that makes it a priority to take our kids out into nature. Our kids were skiing before they could walk, we took our kids on a cross country road trip in an un-air conditioned subaru when our son was 2 months old, I remember sitting in that subaru in the mountains nursing our son while my husband was belaying our 3-4 year old while rock climbing, etc. We've always incorporated them into our lives.

You are more than welcome to incorporate me into your life, too. Oh wait... this isn't Off-Topic, is it? :huh:

You are more than welcome to incorporate me into your life, too. Oh wait... this isn't Off-Topic, is it? :huh:

;)

A lot of people claim the Puget Sound area is diverse, although I experience it as very white.

I've never seen anyone who isn't white at a caching event.

Although it is totally possible I just haven't noticed, because I tend not to pay attention to that.

There seem to be more men interested than women, but we have a whole lot of women who cache around here.

I've heard many times that people start out taking their kids, but they end up more interested in caching than their kids are.

I'd say the average cacher around here is around 40 or so.

I wish geocaching existed when my kids were young ! Nice way to justify going to the countryside, more fun and healthier than to stay in front of the TV or computer !

As for the "affirmative" part, may I suggest you set up a committee to define a way to attract minorities and eventually subsidize this activity ? :rolleyes:

Our town is somewhere around 30-40% Hispanic. I don't think I know of a single Hispanic cacher (although if they never came to events, I guess I wouldn't know). An ok number of them are fairly affluent, so that doesn't tie into anything. My husband's cousins/uncle are Hispanic, and we've taken them caching a few times and they enjoy it, but they've never picked it up by themselves.

Edited by Ambrosia

Interesting topic. When I first started geocaching, I assumed that the majority of participants would be young males in their 20s. Surprised to see this is not the case here. It seems to me that in our area the most active geocachers here are retirees or empty-nesters. I've been to events here and this is the demographic that dominates. And yes, mostly white folks. I'm assuming there's lots of families like us that participate, but they probably are not as able to commit as much time.

I have been geocaching for less than a year and I am truly addicted! I do not consider myself an expert but I am learning more about this sport every day. One of my wife and my favorite things to do is to attend geocaching events. It is always fun to meet the people behind the geo-names. I look forward to doing this at the upcoming Midwest Geobash next week tongue.gif

I did notice one thing in common with these events and the cachers who attended...I don't recall seeing one minority cacher in attendance at any of the 4 events my wife and I have attended. Now I am certain there are minority cachers, but I was wondering if the percentage is quite low in other areas of the US. (Of course, since this forum is international, I assume the term "minority" is relative to where you might be reading this). If so, any ideas about why?

I don't want this thread to become a racially heated topic. I am certainly not saying minorities shouldn't cache, aren't able to cache, etc. I am just curious if what I am seeing in Dayton, OH is common to other areas as well.

I also concur that you've raised an interesting point. I, like you, have been geocaching for about a year. I've not attended a geocaching event but my wife and I were all set to go to one when, at the eleventh hour, she was called into work. I was disappointed, naturally, but I felt better after reading logs and looking at some of the posted pictures. Yes, not too many minorities in attendance. I live in Toronto, a very multicultural city, and I read every log posted to the six caches I own. I'm delighted to say that I think, judging by some of the user names, this great pastime is becoming more and more diversified. Maybe not at mega events just yet, but that'll change soon, I hope.

I am just curious if what I am seeing in Dayton, OH is common to other areas as well.

You are in the same boat as Iowa. You can count the minorities on one had at any given time. Even in the cities. Get out of the mid west and that will change. Your chances of seeing minorities are slim because if it wasn't, they wouldn't be called minorities. But when you do see one they will stick out like a sore thumb. Then apply those percentages to geocaching and your chances are even slimmer.

Although, being a fat white guy(I am only 28 so that is old depending on who you ask), it does seam like there is alot of us on here.

I am just curious if what I am seeing in Dayton, OH is common to other areas as well.

You are in the same boat as Iowa. You can count the minorities on one had at any given time. Even in the cities.

I know the perception of Ohio as a mostly white farming state is possible. In reality, we are far from it...

White 53.36%spacer.gif

Black or African American 43.13%spacer.gif

American Indian and Alaska Native .3%spacer.gif

Asian .65%

Hispanic or Latino(of any race) 1.58%

Edited by geocating

Just to chime in.....

My partner and I are new to geocaching...very new: only a little over a week now. We are from the "thumb" area of Michigan, a predominately caucasian farming community. That being said, my partner is Mexican (I'm white).

Just wanted to throw up a hand for the Hispanic community! Yay!

Edited by Garrat27

Also seem to be a lot of fat people. Kinda' odd considering all the running around you do.

I've noticed this too, but I would've never said it on the forums without a prompt like this one, haha. But perhaps I only notice because I'm a full-grown man and about 120lbs. Not that I'm complaining. At all. :lol:

You are in the same boat as Iowa. You can count the minorities on one had at any given time. Even in the cities.

I know the perception of Ohio as a mostly white farming state is possible. In reality, we are far from it...

White 53.36%spacer.gif

Asian .65%

Only 0.3% of Native left. I wonder what is their opinion and if they too are obsessed by multiculturalism, equal opportunities, minorities etc... Do they still feel guilty they opposed that not so long ago ?

White 53.36%spacer.gif

Asian .65%

I am not sure where you obtained those statistics for Ohio, but according to the US Census Bureau's 2010 census the racial and Hispanic breakdown in Ohio is:

White: 82.7%

Black: 12.2%

American Indian and Alaska Native: 0.2%

Asian: 1.7 %

Hispanic or Latino origin: 3.1%

White 53.36%spacer.gif

Asian .65%

I am not sure where you obtained those statistics for Ohio,

but according to the US Census Bureau's 2010 census the racial and Hispanic breakdown in Ohio is:

White: 82.7%

Black: 12.2%

American Indian and Alaska Native: 0.2%

Asian: 1.7 %

Hispanic or Latino origin: 3.1%

Same census, but these are the data for Dayton, OH, my metro area. Minorities are predominantly in in the cities in Ohio. The areas in between the cities are mostly white including the largest population of Amish (I wonder if any of them geocache????)

I was surprised also at the "older" folks geocaching, but I love it. What a great way to spend retirement, getting out and exploring the world! Seems many of the younger participants around here burn out on the sport rather quickly. Not all, but many... The older ones stick it out and pace themselves enjoying the ride rolleyes.gif With that said, it is fun to see kids doing it with their parents, aunts/uncles, grandparents, etc. We bought a GPSr for our 3 and 5 year old nephews.

Just to chime in.....

My partner and I are new to geocaching...very new: only a little over a week now. We are from the "thumb" area of Michigan, a predominately caucasian farming community. That being said, my partner is Mexican (I'm white).

Just wanted to throw up a hand for the Hispanic community! Yay!

I spent a few years in that area as a lad, and there were quite a few Hispanic migrant workers there throughout the summer. I would imagine some of them settled in to raise families.

At GW8 I noticed there were few minorities. Not sure why that is. I did notice a large amount of grey hair also.

I've seen very few minority cachers at local events and in NJ minorities aren't all that much in the minority. This isn't exactly North Dakota. At Geowoodstock IX I also noticed the dearth of minorities. I think I saw one black family among the thousands there and a handful of Asians.

Oddly enough I've noticed an huge amount of overweight cachers. Heck at 240 lbs, I'm no Twiggy, but I'm probably in the middle of the pack when it comes to geocaching girth. I find it interesting that a sport that requires a level of physical activity has so many "large" people.

As far as the dearth of minorities, I'm not sure what to make of it. It's not all economic because I personally know geocachers who are not well off and some who in fact who could be considered in the lower economic class.

What confuses me is the lack of Asians in geocaching. If you hike in NJ you see a disproportionate amount of Asians on the trail, and most geocachers around here are hikers because of the kind of caches we have. Yet very few Asians seem to be geocachers.

In the end I don't see it as something to wring hands over though. Geocachers choose the sport, they are not chosen. I rarely see black hikers or backpackers and again I don't think it's economic because there is a huge black middle class in NJ. It's probably a cultural thing.

not reading all the back posts to see if someone else was referring to the Seattle area.

Very few minorities in our areas who Geocache, almost all white at least in appearance if I was forced to guess one. Good mix of ages, but mainly folks between 25 and infinity. Pretty good percentages of both genders but probably slightly more males.

Do not think its just a geocaching thing. If I look at recreational hunting. Look at sport fishing. Look at trail hikers in general. Look at mountain climbing. Its the same gadget driven outdoorsy group and those are mainly Caucasian as well.

Edited by lamoracke

Around here cachers tend to match the demographics of town. Durango is a retirement town in many ways, a college town in others, and ski town in yet others.

But overall the cachers I've met tend to be over 35, adults and partnered up.

Edit: Lots of folks came to college/ski here and never left.

Edited by MooseJawSpruce

From what I've seen at the one event I've been to in quasi-urban Indiana and of all the cachers I've seen on the trails...

Every single last one of them has been white.

Every single one.

Average age was probably 40-50, but a handful of families as well. Most overweight. None obese.

Also seem to be a lot of fat people. ...[]...

In my country - Denmark - too. And I think this is really good. A lot of geocachers are retired persons. And another large group are families, that in geocaching can do something together. I for my self do it, because I like being in nature and I can't run all the time!